Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

It's fun to participate in the show as an event as it runs, through sharing interpretations and speculation. The problem is, the mythology can sound really corny (no pun intended) when it's written down and stripped of the magic of its abstract presentation.
Last edited by alreadygoneplaces on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silvo
Roadhouse Member

Post by silvo »

someone said that is a mystery of what Laura whisper to Cooper in Part 1!

But I think it's obvious that she whisper the same think as in season 1 episode 3. She told him that the killer is her father because in the dream Cooper was old as he is now
Last edited by silvo on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

thedougpa wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
The ideas you quoted have absolutely nothing to do with the story as written, and I haven't seen anyone debating them - particularly scenario 2, which wasn't suggested by this episode even slightly.

Not sure why you feel a confused fan's theory reflects poorly upon the show, but... whatever!
Because show, in its present form and contents, gives plenty of ground for the breeding of such and similar theories. The fans are absolutely not to blame for wanting to make sense with what they are given. And what they are given is ... never mind, I don't want to agitate people who are obviously very enthusiastic about this new "season" of "Twin Peaks". I'll see myself out.
Aw, come on, please step up, I wanna know why you dislike the mythology aspects? Have you always? Cause they were always there - they deepened in fire walk with me - even more in missing pieces - and it continues here..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I haven't (always disliked it): I had a lot of room for mythology back in the day when it wasn't force-fed down our throats, when it slowly tiptoed its way in and stayed ambiguous, ungraspable any only hinted at things and could, consequently, be interpreted as anything and nothing. But this ... Vomit bubbles, nuclear blast, glowing balls ... c'mon. It's agonizing for me even thinking about this now being a part of the official, Lynch & Frost-approved TP canon.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

There was already magic creamed corn
G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

guildnavigator wrote:There was already magic creamed corn
This is an 'A +' response indeed and I would love a shirt with this sentence on it hahahah!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:It's fun to participate in the show as an event as it runs through and speculation. The problem is, the mythology can sound really corny (no pun intended) when it's written down and stripped of the magic of its abstract presentation.
I can see what you're saying here. And that makes the bigger problem that many viewers just don't have time to revel in abstractions (a lot of people are complaining that the more avant-garde scenes lasted too long, when in reality those sequence sin Part 8 lasted 10 minutes out of an 18 hour film); they'd rather think about the plot and what it means and whether they like it or not rather than revel in the beautiful abstraction of it, or the art of it. I look at what we just saw and sure, it does seem like some kind of origin story. But it also seems like an origin story abstracted beyond any other to the point that the experience and feeling of watching it is the point more so than the narrative itself. TV is an especially narrative driven artform, so I can see why a lot of people turn off their senses in favor of just thinking about the plot, but I'll be sinking back into Part 8 for the feeling it gives me, for the bravura filmmaking, for the audacity of it all. And for the record, I believe that the Laura and Bob orbs can be interpreted many ways, and on a literal and metaphorical level, which is as its always been with those characters.
Last edited by LateReg on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

silvo wrote:someone said that is a mystery of what Laura whisper to Cooper in Part 1!

But I think it's obvious that she whisper the same think as in season 1 episode 3. She told him that the killer is her father because in the dream Cooper was old as he is now
Yes, but maybe she gave Coop some additional information as well? The conversation in that scene, btw, does not include the LMFAP so you can argue it is a different conversation.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
gladhand

Post by gladhand »

Regarding the mythology stuff, I think the problem here is all the cg effects.

If you think about the mythology in fwwm eg:
- laura in the painting
- the convenience store & it's inhabitants
- Judy behind the mask
- the jumping man
- the red room

It's all clearly real; people / animals, costumes, masks, sets, bowls of creamed corn. The biggest effect used was just playing things in reverse. But everything was physically real.

CGI just destroys the illusion, it's a shame DL has bought into it on this one. The best "mythology" scenes have prob been the ones with the least CGI, e.g the glass box, and the vomiting.
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

Not sure this has been suggested yet, but what if the bug isn't BOB but rather the seed of Laura Palmer, after an eleven year journey from the Giant's castle, the girl is Sarah Palmer with the implication is that Laura is an immaculate conception?
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

kafa81 wrote:
anthoto1 wrote:
kafa81 wrote:So then it is possible that the music playing while the ??????? is levitating is from Badalamenti? OR do we have confirmation that this is from a different artist?
It's from him. A variation from the hit and run theme.
You think? Donno if any of his songs have names ... you got any info?
No info but I thought that it was quite obvious even though I'm not a musician of any kind. There was an article about the hit and run theme, think you can find it quite easily googling these key words ! I couldn't find the record yet though !
gladhand

Post by gladhand »

Also, don't you think that apart from Bob, all the other mythology characters (mrs tremond & her grandson, the woodman, mfap) were neither clearly good or evil? They were a lot more ambiguous than that, it made the whole thing a lot more complex and interesting.

Now we've just got a bogey man who asks "got a light" and kills people with no clear motive.

I sure I've utterly missed the intended message with this episode, it just feels like a b-movie homage.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

gladhand wrote:Regarding the mythology stuff, I think the problem here is all the cg effects.

If you think about the mythology in fwwm eg:
- laura in the painting
- the convenience store & it's inhabitants
- Judy behind the mask
- the jumping man
- the red room

It's all clearly real; people / animals, costumes, masks, sets, bowls of creamed corn. The biggest effect used was just playing things in reverse. But everything was physically real.

CGI just destroys the illusion, it's a shame DL has bought into it on this one. The best "mythology" scenes have prob been the ones with the least CGI, e.g the glass box, and the vomiting.
Honestly it never once shattered any illusion for me. The CGI was flawless in Part 8, and beautiful, and emotional. I think there's a great mix so far of great CGI, practical effects and "bad" CGI that is used to emphasize the unreality and the surreality as it calls attention to Lynch's painting background.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

mtwentz wrote:
silvo wrote:someone said that is a mystery of what Laura whisper to Cooper in Part 1!

Yes, but maybe she gave Coop some additional information as well? The conversation in that scene, btw, does not include the LMFAP so you can argue it is a different conversation.
I personally had the vibe that it was something else (just because, why not let us hear her say 'my father killed me' if she really was saying it again), and with Coops kind of strange groan when he hears it.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

dkenny78 wrote:Not sure this has been suggested yet, but what if the bug isn't BOB but rather the seed of Laura Palmer, after an eleven year journey from the Giant's castle, the girl is Sarah Palmer with the implication is that Laura is an immaculate conception?
I thought the girl is Sarah (see pages of posts back), but the immaculate conception is new :) Not a bad idea though. It would connect Laura with the FWWM angel mythology.
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

Not sure if this was shared here, but I don't remember seeing it. If it was I apologize for reposting.

Saw this over on Reddit, taken from a page in Twin Peaks: An Access Guide to the Town.