Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by krishnanspace »

What do you guys think, will they show what happened to the girl?
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

I think she's just the first host for BOB, and I would imagine that Lynch will be happy to leave us to infer this.
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

krishnanspace wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Taperecorder wrote: This part puzzles me. Why would there be no Cooper without Laura?
Well, he probably never would have come to Twin Peaks, unless he'd later gotten a break on the Teresa Banks murder that led him to Leland.
This^
Oh. Cooper would still exist, just not come to Twin Peaks. Gotcha. I thought you were saying something else.
-
As above, so below.
-
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

krishnanspace wrote:What do you guys think, will they show what happened to the girl?
I'm assuming we'll find out, one way or another. Not sure whether we'll see the girl again, acting out of character, or whether we'll see the bug creature again.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
silvo
Roadhouse Member

Post by silvo »

Xavi wrote: 1945 New Mexico - Atomic bomb experiment - Enola Gay was the ‘mother’ if the Little Boy … and Thin/Fat Man?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enola_Gay

Later, 4 plus 7 years later according the caption, from a lonesome egg a frog-bug monster type of creature with wings starts crawling, on his way to a human host ?

Boy meets girl and they share a little innocent kiss, just before the creature creeped into the open mouth of the sleeping girl - Linda and Richard?

How does Bad Coop’s (near) death situation effect Good Coop’s life? And the One Armed Lodge creature?
my first thought was this one. But then I got chaotic from the next scenes! Mother was the airplane that shoot the atomic bombs (eggs), and then the frog/bug thing was the radiation that affected peoples' lives. Maybe the woodmen that looks like Lincoln was the terror and destruction that America delivered to Japanese. The last part is when radiation affected people that didn't understand the size of this destruction.

I think this scene has a dual meaning. Maybe one is the above and the other is the mythology of Twin Peaks.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, so I thought I'd share. A friend of mine had only one thought during the 1956 sequence. That the young boy walking with the young girl is actually Bob. It would be a neat trick, for sure, making us focus on the girl as it does. Perhaps the bug creature would get transferred into him through some sexual act? Anyway, I don't really have any theories of my own, I just found it interesting.
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

I know Chris Isaak isn't on the cast list but I sincerely hope Special Agent Chet Desmond is at least mentioned in passing conversation!
-
As above, so below.
-
silvo
Roadhouse Member

Post by silvo »

Many times I have the feeling that Lynch is watching us and giving us hints when there is something that we are not able to notice it.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

baxter wrote:Something else I loved- the slowed down screams whenever regular people interacted with the woodsmen (or were in the vicinity). Really creepy!

Can't wait to watch this again.
Totally had the same sound vibe as when Leland attacks Maddy...
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

Burns's Suite wrote:Wait, wait. I'm not sure if anybody else has mentioned this but is the music that plays when the Giant starts to float the same as the ending scene in FWWM?
No, it's definitely not. And although Angelo's new compositions are great, they are not on the same level as SE1 IMO. But don't get me wrong - I still love his music and will have the OST day one. But only few composers stay good until the end... i.E. John Barry.
MysteryMan14
Roadhouse Member

Post by MysteryMan14 »

Are these the 8 victims from the Burning River incident of 1902? I went through the scene multiple times and never counted more than 8 unique individuals on camera at once.
A nice catch from reddit its about those People who are swarming next to convenience store after a nuke explosion. Additionally the burning River incident occurred February 24th. The date Laura Palmer died. I think I have to read Frost's book once again.
Sparkwood/21

Post by Sparkwood/21 »

First time poster. Long time....

Phenomenal episode. Phenomenal season.

There's a ton to chew on here but I want to focus on the Laura orb scene. It's unclear as of yet what the purpose of it was but whether she was used as a weapon, bait, or balance the choice certainly wasn't her own.

I hope the remaining episodes finally give Laura Palmer her own agency. Cooper too. Let these characters out of this cosmic game they've unwittingly been cast in.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

This has probably been mentioned but the creature that spits out BOB has reversed hands or even arms (her thumbs are on the wrong side) I found that pretty cool. All in all, this episode was super overwhelming.

I think we saw the white logde... Giving birth to Laura.
Last edited by Soolsma on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

WOW DAVE WOW~!

Magnificent episode.

Kubrickian Fulcrum of this focaultian saga.

Art must have its witness;
so fortunate that it is we.

(...note: to the right of the convienece store is a stairway...that leads up...to a room above)

(...note: in episode 7 ...
Cole is reclined ...eyes closed...in a similar position as the Giant in episode 8... )

"...the birds sing a pretty song...and there is always music in the air."

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

MysteryMan14 wrote:
Are these the 8 victims from the Burning River incident of 1902? I went through the scene multiple times and never counted more than 8 unique individuals on camera at once.
A nice catch from reddit its about those People who are swarming next to convenience store after a nuke explosion. Additionally the burning River incident occurred February 24th. The date Laura Palmer died. I think I have to read Frost's book once again.
Yeah, it seems like the Burning River incident may be a lake of radioactive fire passing thru time by way of the lodge/s. They were sucked back into the everywhen and now are shadow-selves (nuclear shades) doing darkness therein's bidding.