Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Framed_Angel »

Nighthawk wrote: I asked this question earlier in a lengthy post that got smothered by incoming replies, but perhaps this part of it can be resurrected. The Lodge spirit meeting from FWWM was supposed to take place 'above a convenience store', but in episode 8 we see a one story building. There is no upper floor.
I noticed this, too. But there was a stairway partially visible to the right. This distracted me for the duration of the sequence with woodsmen ambling about in flashing light. I kept wondering about that staircase, and could see treetops behind the building unobstructed where a 2nd story would have let the stairs make sense. (Someone has posted an image a few posts above this, for reference if needed).

A few scenes later -- I'll have to re-watch to determine *how* much later -- there's a convenience store shown with a 2nd story but it's recessed from the storefront. I'll try for a screen-grab if I can find the place, maybe the store that the young couple were just leaving when they're introduced in the 1956 scene ("How did you like that song?", etc).
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nikki Grace »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Everybody assumed that Mr. C will kill Ray and will head where the coordinates lead him. Now I guess that he will need to find Hastings secretary himself? Or he'll go to the Farm to find Ray again? Or to Argentina to find Jeffries? Holy fuck, this has to be the most unpredictable show ever! The episode ends and you don't know what you'll see next week.
Ahhaah when Mr.C pulled the gun my wife said : "This was so predictable."
After the scene, I told her "Say again?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Haha! One of the great subversions so far on the show!
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

oldforce wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:I'm unsure why so many are sure that BOB left Bad Coop?

Why would BOB heal Bad Coop, only to leave him?

I think the scene was meant to show us how difficult it will be to kill Bad Coop with BOB inside of him.

So first BOB must be chased away from Bad Coop in order for Good Coop to destroy him.
My interpretation was that the woodsmen extracted BOB thru ritual. Weren't they pulling it out? Was Mr C. healed or is something more required to kill him.
That's how I interpreted it. But it's hard to say for sure, because Ray runs away before we see what happens to the grinning BOB blob.

I certainly don't think BOB is dead, in any case.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

Hester Prynne wrote:Is there a catalyst for why the woodsmen went on attack in 1956 (11 years later) instead of 1945 when they were created/entered a gateway? The woodsman walking down the hall in the morgue from ep. 7 seemed pretty indifferent in that scene. Even the woodsmen trying to resuscitate Evil Coop paid no attention to Ray, and he's the one that tried to kill him.
1956 was when the potato cracked open and out popped mr frogbug.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Hester Prynne wrote:Is there a catalyst for why the woodsmen went on attack in 1956 (11 years later) instead of 1945 when they were created/entered a gateway? The woodsman walking down the hall in the morgue from ep. 7 seemed pretty indifferent in that scene. Even the woodsmen trying to resuscitate Evil Coop paid no attention to Ray, and he's the one that tried to kill him.
I do wonder if they're all entirely evil. We only see one actually kill someone. But, yes, I do think how lucky the three characters in the morgue were, if they are all capable of crushing people's heads with their bare hands.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Mario Stein wrote:Could Dougie be manufactured by Mother/Experiment? To me his head looks like the egg.
Maybe the Bug creates Dougie or the girl is his mother. Geographically it makes sense. Could Cooper and Mr. C be copies/something of Dougie?

My favorite part of Twin Peaks was the ancient American Indian connections. Once Windom Earle brings in the Dugpas that really bummed me out. I like the concept of The Lodge and the spirits being tied to the locality of Twin Peaks. With all the references to evil "in these woods" and Leland first meeting Bob at Pearl Lakes which is near/in the forest. They definitely left this angle far behind with this origin story.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Have we ever seen this teddy bear? I just quickly skipped through FWWM and the Pilot to see if that bear is ever in Laura's room... didn't see him so far. He does seem familiar, though.
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 1.14.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 1.14.25 AM.png (794.02 KiB) Viewed 9564 times
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

yaxomoxay wrote:What I need is the jazz music that was played on the Gramophone!!! 10 hour loop if possible.
You might like this. It's also got a Kubrick connection, and on top of that grapples with themes of memory loss and identity which are prominent in The Return.

alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
oldforce wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:I'm unsure why so many are sure that BOB left Bad Coop?

Why would BOB heal Bad Coop, only to leave him?

I think the scene was meant to show us how difficult it will be to kill Bad Coop with BOB inside of him.

So first BOB must be chased away from Bad Coop in order for Good Coop to destroy him.
My interpretation was that the woodsmen extracted BOB thru ritual. Weren't they pulling it out? Was Mr C. healed or is something more required to kill him.
That's how I interpreted it. But it's hard to say for sure, because Ray runs away before we see what happens to the grinning BOB blob.

I certainly don't think BOB is dead, in any case.
This was my interpretation too, that the woodsmen didn't care about what happened to the doppelgänger, they just wanted to separate him from BOB. But then again, I'm just rewatching and really notice that they someone make his 'corpse' reappear from nothing. So who knows.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Long gone are the days where finding Laura's killer was the main problem.

Lynch is creating a mitology so vast to be almost scary
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Panapaok wrote:Why do you think they picked an Abraham Lincoln impersonator to play the main Woodsman? It has to be intentional, right? I mean, the guy has only played Abe Lincoln in all his credited roles until Twin Peaks. Can't imagine that Johanna Ray randomly discovered him, unless she was specifically looking for someone like him. He was terrifying.
The girl finds a heads-up penny and rubs ol' Abe's image just before the Woodsman appears. My guess is it is a magic penny. :D
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Isis Unveiled
Roadhouse Member

Post by Isis Unveiled »

BOB was not created by the Atom Bomb, at least not yet.

We see after the Atom Bomb explosion that it opened up a portal to a spirit world, where all the black covered spirits come.

The spirits congregated at the 'convenience store,' once mentioned by David Bowie as Agent Jeffreys in FWWM. Why they are naturally drawn to a convenience store of all places still begets me, perhaps it's something as simple as cigarettes and lighters.

In any case, after we see the spirits congregating at the convenience store we see what looks like a female spirit ejected an ectoplasm, of which BOB was derived.

This would suggest that there were seances being performed, mediums were being used, and ritual invocations, one of which led to the invocation of BOB.

This is an important distinction, for it wasn't until the giant saw BOB's soul bubbling up from the ether that he magickally created Laura.

I think it is safe to assume that both BOB and Laura are incarnations of two earlier beings, BOB and Laura being the most recent manifestations.

BOB is the uninhibited Black Magician, he has the fury of his own momentum, he has the fury of the fire.
Laura is the sacred feminine, pure, and unadulterated, she has the purity and magickal prowess of Isis/Ishtar.
"I have the fury of my own momentum." - BOB
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

More than ever I'm trying my best to turn friends/ family/ ppl at work on to this show, because i don't want anyone to miss out...

on what will probably end up being ..

one of the greatest stories ever told,

in any medium

5 Star episode
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

Maybe the woodsmen represent the earth itself. They first appeared after man scorched the earth with a nuclear bomb (notice that it wasnt one of the bombs that killed people in Japan, the only damage from this bomb was to the earth ). The woodsmen could be the planet's reaction to this.

So they have tried to summon Bob as a weapon against the perpetrators - mankind. However, they have no idea about the specifics of what Bob will go on to do - they only want an end to the destruction of the planet. The fact the woodsmen kill (innocent?) people on earth is as irrelevant to nature as a cat killing a mouse.

The Giant in the lodge however, who is a power greater than that of a planet has forseen this and possibily decided that mankind is worth saving, so has intervened by creating the Laura seed (the uterus pattern in the soup of life suggests birth). The Giant is god, probably.

It could be that (frost, probably) wanted to include some kind of message about climate change in the show - one of the two greatest challenges currently facing mankind today (the other having already been shown in this episode).
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

madeleineferguson wrote:Have we ever seen this teddy bear? I just quickly skipped through FWWM and the Pilot to see if that bear is ever in Laura's room... didn't see him so far. He does seem familiar, though.

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 1.14.25 AM.png
And too bad we can't tell if the roses on that wallpaper are blue!