Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

I still think you can have a script that says little more than 'atomic explosion' and not know how that is going to end up on screen.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Zachary wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
djsunyc wrote:this thread is going to go 100+ with the 2 week break lol. i can't wait for the screen caps.
What I need is the jazz music that was played on the Gramophone!!! 10 hour loop if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that the one that's on the "The Air is On Fire" album? For 99 cents, the iTunes Store could make your dream a reality.

I actually bought the album last night :lol:
I love you!!!!!
Listening to it (VII. Interior) on Apple Music

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

garethw wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Really not sure about Laura's golden soul orb, that was the one part I'm not sure I liked. I'd much rather her be a normal human girl who had to overcome her immense pain and suffering with her own fortitude and grace, not because she was made special in some way. Does no one else feel this way? Maybe we'll get more on how Laura came to be but it seems like she's some sort of supernatural spirit to me.
I feel the same way, and I've been a bit wary of that in the new series -- despite being broadly pretty satisfied with the series so far.

I'd be heartbroken if what we see in the Return diminishes the power of the things that came before. I don't think we're there yet, and I'm cautiously optimistic that's not where Lynch is taking us.
I disagree- I think Twin Peaks religious allegories are one of the things that makes this show a cut above the rest.

Ever since Leland called her, his 'angel' in episode 16, I always felt Laura was elevated to spiritual status. This was further cemented by FWWM and the use of angels. But then again, I just think it's a metaphor for all of us- we are all potential Buddhas or Christs or Mohammeds or whatevers- we all have that capability within us.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mallard wrote:"Critics Notebook: How 'Legion' scooped 'Twin Peaks' as 2017's Weird Show to Watch"

In hindsight, I'd say the author of this article feels they were a bit shortsighted in their bold proclamation.
Not to mention MJA's insider scoop that Frost and Showtime were taking the reigns from DKL to turn the show into a straight soap opera. :roll:
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Pinky wrote:for a couple of seconds, the landing Woodsman silhouette was uncannily Bowie-esque but even then I didn't really believe it:)
I thought the same exact thing. I freaked out and squinted up close to the screen.
blue_rose_case

Post by blue_rose_case »

That scene with the old couple in the car surrounded by the woodsmen. Absolutely terrifying.
Mario Stein

Post by Mario Stein »

Could Dougie be manufactured by Mother/Experiment? To me his head looks like the egg.
Attachments
egg.png
egg.png (975.97 KiB) Viewed 8953 times
Mario Stein

Post by Mario Stein »

The bird from TP original intro fits the shape of broken egg perfect.
Attachments
bird.png
bird.png (920.93 KiB) Viewed 8940 times
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:Didn't get to watch this till this morning, about 5 hours ago (or 4, when I finished watching).

Whilst I loved it I can see this as the episode that really divides people between those that love Lynch and those that decide this really isn't the Twin Peaks for them. In a bizarre way the focus on duality seems to echo in a teetering back and forth between Lynch craziness and Frost soap opera, but I figure it's probably the Lynch fans that are happiest with that teetering, and this could be the episode that ensures that, hell, we won't be getting a fourth season after this one after a lot of people throw their hands into the air and declare they're giving up.

Even the Nine Inch Nails bit. I love Nine Inch Nails, but when they got the first band introduction of the season, and a whole set, it did feel like the show has become in a lot of ways a show-case for musicians that David Lynch really likes. Before I had a chance to see the show I caught a tweet that stated that their understanding of Lynch as experimental was finally realised with this episode. I figured that a TV show interrupting the drama with a musical interlude by a band I'd known and loved a long time certainly underlined this episode as experimental, almost feeling like one of those more light hearted shows like The Monkees, where the story gets a silly musical number thrown into the mix, but in a much darker and disturbing manner. Little did I realise how experimental it would get.

With all the stuff about Jeffries and musical crossover I half-seriously wonder if any of the late David Bowie's final songs/videos have anything to add to current speculation.

Loved the winded frog creature.

Also I really love now is that all the speculation we had last week and hoped would, in part, be answered this week, we've got another couple of weeks to speculate on, plus all the weirdness with this episode. If nothing else I think we can rule out the mysterious blackened lumberjack figures aren't the Log Lady's husband - I'm especially glad now that the one we saw last week didn't walk into the room with the decapitated body, knowing now what they're capable of!
I do think that the introduction of "The" Nine Inch Nails was meant to be a joke. They're the most recognizable band by far and they get the only intro! And with an unlikely announcer who seems displaced from time and unfit for the Roadhouse announcing them, and doing so wrongly! Great stuff. And while it is unorthodox to suddenly see a whole performance in the middle of an episode without credits rolling and without any context, I do think that the lyrics are meaningful and the tone of the performance perfectly matches everything else that is happening in the episode, and tone is everything for me. Plus, Reznor was on fire in that scene. He might as well have been a lodge spirit getting really excited about someone being murdered!
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Rhodes wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Fooled? They made money out of this.

Also, do you honestly think they actually gave him total freedom and a blank check? There was supervision, just very limited on the artistic level. They certainly knew what Lynch was going to do and they probably saw a draft script before paying up for the filming of the show.

I am curious if this is indeed true.

My two cents is that the final cut/result came as a big surprise for Showtime.
Well they probably were surprised by many parts, but there is no way that the professionals and execs at Showtime didn't know a good lot. There is no way that the top execs didn't know the overall journey. They probably didn't know what Mother was, or about the glass box, but there is no way that they didn't hear what Lynch and Frost had in mind. Execs care about money and they would not risk millions just because of the TP and Lynch brand.
It is clear that Lynch was given much freedom compared to a regular TV show (consider this: he was FORCED to solve Laura's mystery!!!), but that doesn't mean that Showtime was clueless about what was going to happen.
I'm sure they knew a good lot and about the overall journey. But adding just a couple of episodes like episode 3 and episode 8, can change the enitre feel of the show as a whole.

Compare it to the original show. You can pitch it as a conventional crime show. Just adding the LMFAP-scenes, BOB-scenes and Lodge-scenes (that make up very little screentime) changes the entire show.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The diner in this episode looked a lot like Hap's from FWWM. I know it's not that diner, but it was very similar in layout.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Mallard wrote:"Critics Notebook: How 'Legion' scooped 'Twin Peaks' as 2017's Weird Show to Watch"

In hindsight, I'd say the author of this article feels they were a bit shortsighted in their bold proclamation.
Not to mention MJA's insider scoop that Frost and Showtime were taking the reigns from DKL to turn the show into a straight soap opera. :roll:
:lol:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
BlueRose69

Post by BlueRose69 »

I still have pages of this topic to go through, so I apologize if this was mentioned before

1. Based off Part 8, what I THINK they might do with Laura as a character is something kind similar to Dawn Summers from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Dawn was a mystical being, known as "The Key," and as the Key, she had the power to unlock certain dimensions. She was later transformed into a human girl so her status as the Key could be protected by Buffy, the all powerful Slayer. Obviously, their stories and backgrounds are quite different, but seeing Laura's energy and presence in that mystical gold orb made me think of this. Maybe she is sent to Earth and born to protect the world from BOB and other evils?

2. The scene where the lady watches ?????/The Giant levitate, really made me think of the ending scene in FWWM with Laura and Dale and "The Voice of Love." The lighting in the theater and on the lady's face, along with her facial expressions and the music playing immediately made me think of that scene.
Mario Stein

Post by Mario Stein »

Jonah wrote:The diner in this episode looked a lot like Hap's from FWWM. I know it's not that diner, but it was very similar in layout.
First time I even read it like "Hap's Diner"
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Rhodes wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Rhodes wrote:
I am curious if this is indeed true.

My two cents is that the final cut/result came as a big surprise for Showtime.
Well they probably were surprised by many parts, but there is no way that the professionals and execs at Showtime didn't know a good lot. There is no way that the top execs didn't know the overall journey. They probably didn't know what Mother was, or about the glass box, but there is no way that they didn't hear what Lynch and Frost had in mind. Execs care about money and they would not risk millions just because of the TP and Lynch brand.
It is clear that Lynch was given much freedom compared to a regular TV show (consider this: he was FORCED to solve Laura's mystery!!!), but that doesn't mean that Showtime was clueless about what was going to happen.
I'm sure they knew a good lot and about the overall journey. But adding just a couple of episodes like episode 3 and episode 8, can change the enitre feel of the show as a whole.

Compare it to the original show. You can pitch it as a conventional crime show. Just adding the LMFAP-scenes, BOB-scenes and Lodge-scenes (that make up very little screentime) changes the entire show.
True, but don't forget who you're talking about. They are professionals, all of them. It's their day job, from beginning to finish. Can they blunder? Yes, but they might blunder because they can't read the viewer's tastes, not because they don't understand a project. They weren't certainly ignorant on Lynch's plans, and they certainly didn't ignore a "nuclear explosion" sentence in a Twin Peaks script.
And to be honest, I don't think that Lynch and Frost were so unprofessional to pull a trick on Showtime. If anything, I am sure that Showtime assembled a tiger team to work closely with Lynch on this ambitious project, and I am sure that Lynch supported it because he was given creative freedom. Lynch knows that he needs Showtime, not the other way around. By the quality of what I am seeing, this was a team effort, from Showtime's CEO to the janitor.