Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by krishnanspace »

Panapaok wrote:One of the best hours of TV...ever. We basically got backstory/world building/mythology expansion in pure visual storytelling and no exposition! Lynch always was and still is a genius artist, period. This is bound to be the most polarizing episode by far, though. I can see people being furious and throwing their TVs out of the window. :lol:

My understanding is pretty much echoing what has been already said in this thread. Nuclear explosion opens a gate and bridges the two worlds. The Giant (?????) sends Laura's spirit to our world in order to save it, somehow. I guess the doppelgänger is no longer with BOB. I wonder how this will affect Cooper, or not. As someone who is seriously disturbed by insects, you can imagine that this got under my skin in a very horrific way. I think that neither the girl is Sara nor the bug is Laura. This is connected to something bad, the 'Experiment' (Mother?) vomited many eggs, along with the one that included BOB.

Anyway, that was probably the most intense hour of TV ever. Glad that we have 2 weeks to relax and contemplate.
I always wondered who/what is Bob! Glad that they finally dedicated a whole episode for him. Wonder why he wears denim jacket and jeans. I think the other smaller seeds were that of the hobos
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob »

-Will DoppleCoop now become Good Coop since Bob has left him? Is that even possible? For that to happen, Good Coop will have to leave Dougie's body….(ETA: it must be Dougie's body, as people recognize him as Dougie...)

-The “blind woman/woman with no eyes” in the Purple Room made me think of someone blinded/hurt in one of the atomic blasts in Japan, too, when I first saw her, like someone else also mentioned. Now there's a clearer connection and maybe a “why” she was like that.
Last edited by Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Now it's dark....."
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Did anyone pay attention to the NiN lyrics? I think they were extremely on point.
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

zeppo1 wrote:The bug is not Laura

The bug was hatched from an egg vomited out by Mother/Expeierment years earlier that landed in the desert.

Looks like she spewed up lots of eggs, along w/Bob

I have to concur here- at the end, the girl is heard emitting the same creepy electrical/ominous black lodge sounds as the woodsmen. I do not think that moth frog was laura.
I'm back in style!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

TheGum wrote:
zeppo1 wrote:The bug is not Laura

The bug was hatched from an egg vomited out by Mother/Expeierment years earlier that landed in the desert.

Looks like she spewed up lots of eggs, along w/Bob

I have to concur here- at the end, the girl is heard emitting the same creepy electrical/ominous black lodge sounds as the woodsmen. I do not think that moth frog was laura.
Maddy maybe
:D
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

As someone posted two weeks ago: "The Return is still nowhere near the brilliance of the original run". :)
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Rhodes wrote:As someone posted two weeks ago: "The Return is still nowhere near the brilliance of the original run". :)

Boy they must feel stupid :lol:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

They are both brilliant in different ways. And so is FWWM. IMHO. :)
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob wrote:
-Will DoppleCoop now become Good Coop since Bob has left him? Is that even possible? For that to happen, Good Coop will have to leave Dougie's body….
He is not in Dougie's body, only in Dougie's place, but the body is the "real" GoodCoop's.
Dougie's body was evaporated in the lodge and left behind nothing but a shiny golden ball/orb, which the One Armed Man then collected.

The "real" Dougie Jones is no more. He vanished, and Dale Cooper came into "this" world through an electrical outlet, he didn't just "enter his body" or anything.

And no, EvilCoop (the Doppelgänger) will probably not "become" GoodCoop, because he is the zig to his zag. The two are SEPERATE from another.
Even without BOB, he's still the Doppelgänger of GoodCoop. No more, no less.
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

In addition to pointing out that moth frog is not Laura- holy crap I had the most horrifying and bizarre dreams, all very obviously tied to this episode. This is some art that really gets under your skin. And I love it/am terrified.
I'm back in style!
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

I don't think we're ending this with a happy ever after real world Coop back to stay in Twin Peaks, or a 'permanently' back to life Laura. Or a fourth season. It doesn't feel like that's where they're going with this. The stakes have been raised and they'll only be back to try and confront this evil, then it's off to the White Lodge with them.
Endangered_Wulf
Roadhouse Member

Post by Endangered_Wulf »

Esselgee wrote:Well, this was a frustrating episode. Just when the other storylines were getting good, we get pretty much no progress on them. There is limited time left and we're still waiting for some of our favorites characters to return (including the actual Agent Cooper). Oh, but instead we'll get 5 minutes of Nine Inch Nails and then a complete mind F from Mr. Lynch.
YUP.
"Fire is the devil, hiding like a coward in the smoke" -Margaret Lanterman The Log Lady
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Is ?????/giant the magician?
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Skip Bittman wrote:Oh god, the atomic bomb audio is orgasmic. Those visuals! This is fucking incredible. I hope the scoffers are choking on their donuts.
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
thefifthlizard
Roadhouse Member

Post by thefifthlizard »

bastia wrote:Is ?????/giant the magician?
You mean "the magician longs to see"