Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by MoondogJR »

Some quick thoughts.

I'm thinking The Giant/???????? is some representation of a divine entity. Is the woman in the room with him 'The Mother'?

Not sure if I like Laura being send to earth though.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

MoondogJR wrote:Not sure if I like Laura being send to earth though.
I do like it but it is kinda straight out of the Zeist version of Highlander 2.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Not floating my boat this week, sorry. :(
I actually liked parts 1-7, but this week was a little too artsy for my tastes. Not to be misunderstood, I come from a visual arts background and I make a lot of artsy/noisy music, listen to drone music, and so on, but I certainly felt like last nights episode missed a few things and what we saw could've been done in 30 minutes instead.

Nonetheless, I understand the impact this could have on today's TV landscape.

Lynch is a pioneer in such things.

Felt like watching the full versions of artsy loop videos they often display at exhibitions instead of just picking u the headphones for a second and going "nah... let's stick to the paintings".

Weird. :)
Wrz

Post by Wrz »

LOVED it. Hope there is more like this to come!

The discordant string music, the distorted vocals, the creepy 1940s music playing in the purple planet mountain power station opera house. Many of the visuals were definitely evocative of Eraserhead.

I am generally not a fan of things in black and white, but I think it worked here.

Now we know a bit more about that place in the very first scene of the first episode where the Giant / question marks guy is talking to Actual Cooper.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

sycamore wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Please let me see this episode in a movie theater before I die.
I want the whole experience. 18 hours in a movie theater. (To save time we can cut the bands such as the outrageously long NIN song)
Come to Oakland CA! I feel soooo lucky to have seen this episode at the Parkway Theatre on a big screen and with big sound! And yes, they're showing all 18 episodes ... and serving homemade cherry pie! Seeing Twin Peaks: The Return on a movie screen every week is wonderful. Seeing THIS episode on the big screen - that ranks as maybe the best experience I've ever had in the cinema. Bravo Pure Heroin Lynch!! Tonight was a once in a lifetime experience. Poetic filmmaking. I'm in awe.
I'm moving to Oakland tonight!
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Driftwood wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote:When I saw "White Sands NM" I was hoping for some of that back story from TSHOTP to come to life on screen. But that had more to do with owls and alien ships, neither of which has been in evidence in S3.
what you were seeing is "aliens" filtered through lynch. he's never going to do that as saucer men from mars and big eyed greys
?
Get back to me when you've read Secret History of Twin Peaks. Frost doesn't do "men from mars and big eyed greys" either.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Jasper wrote:I am wrapped in a strange aura of beauty and amazement. What glorious filmmaking. My jaw was hanging open for large portion of that experience. My eyes watered up during the sequence with ??????? floating up in front of the screen, as it was so beautiful, and I could see that something wonderful was being born. That thing being born was the soul of Laura Palmer.
This comes the closest to how I'm feeling. Thank you. I can't make words do what I want them to yet.

It's just so completely beautiful! That's all I've got right now.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Framed_Angel wrote:I looked for Badalamenti in the music credits. Obvs the main music featured involved established composers/ bands, bu the other song "Slow 30s Room", was credited to "David Lynch and Dean Hurley." I'm not sure which song that was -- but: the music playing as the Giant levitated and the lady looked up, it kept reminding me of some of the music from TP S2 so I was expecting Badalamenti has something to do with it, and kind of disappointed that he hadn't~
Badalamenti is credited in the opening. Any music not specifically mentioned in the end credits is Badalamenti. He's all over Part 8.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Yes, I agree with those who feel the Giant's creation of Laura's soul was one of the most beautiful things I've seen in film/TV.

Which leads me to a point I wanted to make between the creation of BOB and the creation of Laura: BOB obviously is born of pure destruction, but Laura is born from an act of creation. That's what's so beautiful to me about how Lynch represents it: the Giant seems to dream her up from his imagination, and we all know how Lynch feels about the human imagination.

And also about the "seed" that the bug crawls out from -- that seed is a piece of corn from the cosmic garmonbozia vomited out from the mother/experiment.

The corn hatches and that thing crawls out. No way that girl can be Sarah Palmer then. She's some other girl who has her innocence corrupted by pain and sorrow.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

"Do you think that if you were falling in space... that you would slow down after a while, or go faster and faster?"
--Donna Hayward, Fire Walk With Me
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Yes, I agree with those who feel the Giant's creation of Laura's soul was one of the most beautiful things I've seen in film/TV.

Which leads me to a point I wanted to make between the creation of BOB and the creation of Laura: BOB obviously is born of pure destruction, but Laura is born from an act of creation. That's what's so beautiful to me about how Lynch represents it: the Giant seems to dream her up from his imagination, and we all know how Lynch feels about the human imagination.
Yes, this feels correct. I also think it is an act of compassion and love. The Giant's reaction to such total destruction is an act of love. How glorious.
Wonderful & Strange wrote:And also about the "seed" that the bug crawls out from -- that seed is a piece of corn from the cosmic garmonbozia vomited out from the mother/experiment.

The corn hatches and that thing crawls out. No way that girl can be Sarah Palmer then. She's some other girl who has her innocence corrupted by pain and sorrow.
I choose not to rationalize/name any of this beautiful abstract imagery in an attempt to create a consistent "mythology" for the show--it just seems clunky to me and robs moments like this (as well as earlier moments from the first series and FWWM) of some of their gorgeously inexplicable, uncanny beauty. But, yes, the image of seeds/eggs similar to the one that hatches the creature are present near the image of BOB. However, I don't know...

The juxtaposition of Laura's essence being sent out with the shot of the egg hatching seems significant. My gut tells me that the girl is Sarah. At least right now. Everything about that creature somehow reads as hopeful to me rather than a portent of dread. The look on the girl's face at the end, especially, seems... so loving. I don't know. This is all gut speaking, so who knows?
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Wrz wrote:I am generally not a fan of things in black and white, but I think it worked here.
I'm the opposite. I love viewing B&W when it's done right. I think Lynch is masterful at it technique-wise. For using it with both contexts of a earlier era, AND a different planet/ alternate plane of existence? I just wish there were some way to represent each differently, but that's me. Unless there's some connection that's intended> Such as our dream life mining from both our past encounters, and a sort of tapped-into subconscience that at times reaches into a collective level.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

This was not the "wow" show I was expecting. I believe that months from now, when we know more, it will be a classic.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

Framed_Angel wrote:
Driftwood wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote:When I saw "White Sands NM" I was hoping for some of that back story from TSHOTP to come to life on screen. But that had more to do with owls and alien ships, neither of which has been in evidence in S3.
what you were seeing is "aliens" filtered through lynch. he's never going to do that as saucer men from mars and big eyed greys
?
Get back to me when you've read Secret History of Twin Peaks. Frost doesn't do "men from mars and big eyed greys" either.
so I'm not sure what your even wanting then?