Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dud
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by dud »

from season 2, episode 6:

coop: is BOB near us now?

the one armed man: for nearly forty years.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Whatta fuckin' beast!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Please tell me there are some deleted scenes to this episode included on the Blu-Ray so we can cut a feature film.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Jasper wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Esselgee wrote:Probably a stupid question but how did the glowing gold ball that came from the Giant's head have the picture of Laura Palmer's homecoming queen photo in it back in 1945?
Is it past, or is it future?
I have the feeling that the lady sees the pain and sorrow in Laura's future right before sending her on earth. Her face betrays sadness, so it is possible that the picture is symbolic of Laura's future and soul.
It's a happy-looking picture. I think that perhaps you think it betrays sadness because of the context in which we've seen it placed.

As for why, I'd say that it's because that picture has consistently been used as sort of a totem to represent Laura Palmer. It's been used as a kind of mystical anchor that kept us connected to the core essence of Twin Peaks, which is Laura Palmer. So for it to represent the essence of her soul as its sent to earth made perfect sense to me.
I meant the lady's sadness, not Laura's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
psyifinotic
Roadhouse Member

Post by psyifinotic »

garethw wrote:So the thingy who barfed up Bob was the "experiment" from NYC, right? Same credit...
what was the credit?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

In response to the possible White Lodge not matching Major Briggs' discription... When that was written by Frost and team the Black Lodge was a semi replicate of the Great Northern. Lynch came in and said nooooo when he filmed. Most likely if this is the White Lodge it is because once again Lynch took control.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Calling it: The thing that vomited up BOB/appeared in the cage was the infamous "Mother". (For the record, it's still credited as "Experiment".)

I don't think the poor kids were either Leland or Sarah; for one thing, Leland was not Hispanic.

As for the White Lodge I think it can appear any number of ways to any number of people.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Watching the PART 8 in couple of hours... Wish me luck.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:Watching the PART 8 in couple of hours... Wish me luck.
You're screwed. :lol:
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

"Critics Notebook: How 'Legion' scooped 'Twin Peaks' as 2017's Weird Show to Watch"

In hindsight, I'd say the author of this article feels they were a bit shortsighted in their bold proclamation.
Welcome...to the third...place.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:Watching the PART 8 in couple of hours... Wish me luck.
Be sure to write down your emergency contacts ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

I find it interesting how BOBcooper was shot in the chest and assisted by the sootmen and how it mirrored Cooper being shot in the chest & visited by the old man/Giant. Very VERY interesting.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote:Calling it: The thing that vomited up BOB/appeared in the cage was the infamous "Mother". (For the record, it's still credited as "Experiment".
In the context of tonight's part, "Mother" could perhaps relate to "Mother of all Bombs". It was also an experimental detonation, so "experiment" could also be more than just a reference to what seems like the experimental nature of the glass box setup in NYC.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

I thought the episode had interesting cinematography but have to say don't feel too fulfilled after watching it. I suppose we'll see over the course of the 18 episodes where things play out as I think watching them in hindsight perhaps more satisfying in the end. With that being said onto analyzing the crazy stuff given:

1945:
Source 1: Here's a link pertaining to 1st detonation of a nuclear weapon following the Manhattan Project: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_(nuclear_test)
The test conducted in the Jornada Del Muerto Desert on what was then the USAAF Alamogordo Bombing and Gunnery Range (now part of White Sands Missile Range).

Source 2: Mark Frosts book (pg.255) says Jornada Del Muerto translates to "Journey of the Dead Man" (Jack Parson's in book translates this to life relating to person dead before their time just trudging about; perhaps a trajectory of damnation to a lower state of being can be seen in a lifetime towards being gone and forgotten once pass away with no spiritual ascent/i]). The book goes onto describe "hell gates" with 1 being at Arroyo Seco (Devil's Gate) near Pasadena, CA behind JPL where Parson's initially performed his Thelema rituals (used explosions as part of and cover for while performing his job) in an attempt to open gateway and perhaps summon the goddess Babylon (re-adapted by Aleister Crowley) some say.

The Babylon Working (attempt to open 2nd Gateway and perhaps bring across "the moonchild"; a being Crowley also borrowed from Revelation) seems to have occurred in 1946 in the real world but Mark Frost's book embellishes this a bit having them perform parts of the ritual in 1947 before the Roswell crash as well.

Visuals: Various effects can be seen as camera goes into nuclear mushroom cloud pertaining to the destructive force as well as potentially openning a gate (aqueous effect reminded me of episode 3 where Cooper falls out of Black Lodge through space going through liquid into building overlooking ocean). Lynch seems to infer the destructive force itself in 1945 openned the hell gate hence woodsmen (dead rising as described in some end times scenarios) roaming around causing havoc broadcasting people to enter the deep and descend (not so much a ritual later performed by some occult group that openned gate but blast itself in this given location around hellgate it seems). Besides, the woodsmen (perhaps can be likened to dead spirits of pioneer ancestors rising trudging along doing their jobs bringing the living down to drudgery), the blast also seems to summon a watcher (grey alien as seen in glass box?) of sorts to gurgitate some orbs to descend to earth (the black lodge spirits which odd as weren't they around for generations according to book?).

Giant's Residence: We now know where Coop was at the beginning of Episode 1. The bell shaped drum supposedly some sort of time machine (perhaps the bell Nazi's trying develop in real world back around WW2 some far out conspiracy theorists claim). However, the bell also also resembles the device making a clanking sound inside the building coop fell into in episode 3 (outerspace coop falling through at first until falls into aqueous sort of substance going into this dimension where a residence amidst ocean).

Other than the bell, of course we see another golden orb again (seems souls that enter this lodge can be redirected back to earth or sent to higher plane of being). Not sure what to make of golden orb coming from giants head (perhaps can be likened to gurgitation seen by watcher being spewing out Bob seen on theatre screen). It's odd that orb had Palmer's face upon it in 1945 but I'm guessing this is in an area beyond time...

1956: The egg with insect is supposedly alien vessel this orb arrives to earth I'm guessing. The girl who has the bug crawl into her mouth like the rest of the townsfolk was put into a permanent coma it seems. This means the girl will awaken perhaps with thing that entered her being dormant perhaps...

Laura's mother Sarah I see was born in 1945 so could this be her in 1956? This would mean Laura was destined to be born for a purpose regardless of father. Kind of heady trippy stuff if this is true. I kind of wish things were simpler (seems to change things about too much from what established already in 90's too much for my liking) but will see where things go.
Last edited by DoppelBocker on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.