Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by garethw »

Endangered_Wulf wrote:
garethw wrote:
Endangered_Wulf wrote:Episode 8 was ALL FILLER (except for the awesome Nine Inch Nails scene and the dead souls bringing Evil Cooper back to life)
Odd, I thought the NIN was the most obvious filler, but I do agree there was quite a bit more.
Nine Inch Nails makes perfect sense. Many years ago they covered a Joy Division song called 'Lost Souls' for THE CROW movie soundtrack. The film was about the resurrection of a rock star. Also the 'LOST HIGHWAY' vibe to Episode 8 corresponds to Nine Inch Nails involvement in the 'LOST HIGHWAY' soundtrack.
It was a 5 minute music video in the middle of a TV show.

FWIW, I respect NIN, but their cover of my favourite band was rather gratuitous. And also: 5 minute music video in the middle of a TV show.
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

Taperecorder wrote:
Endangered_Wulf wrote:I wish Lynch and Frost would just stick to some ''good-old-fashioned-cohesive-season-one-original-formula-storytelling" :cry:
Good to know. Not me. This is fantastic. This is beautiful and terrifying and fun and riveting. This is Twin Peaks.

+1
IAmHappeningAgain
Roadhouse Member

Post by IAmHappeningAgain »

The Joy Division song is called "Dead Souls," and that's not the song they were playing.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

The Brown Lodge wrote:
Taperecorder wrote:
Endangered_Wulf wrote:I wish Lynch and Frost would just stick to some ''good-old-fashioned-cohesive-season-one-original-formula-storytelling" :cry:
Good to know. Not me. This is fantastic. This is beautiful and terrifying and fun and riveting. This is Twin Peaks.

+1
this a thousand times over
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

We saw the origin of the lodge stuff in our world and you people are crying about filler. unbelievable

loved this as a giant f u to everyone who was only just on board with last weeks episode
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

The people who were complaining about too much Dougie finally got an episode without him...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I am wrapped in a strange aura of beauty and amazement. What glorious filmmaking. My jaw was hanging open for large portion of that experience. My eyes watered up during the sequence with ??????? floating up in front of the screen, as it was so beautiful, and I could see that something wonderful was being born. That thing being born was the soul of Laura Palmer.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Driftwood wrote:We saw the origin of the lodge stuff in our world and you people are crying about filler. unbelievable

loved this as a giant f u to everyone who was only just on board with last weeks episode
I think this episode will have so much more staying power than the previous episode 7. Episode 7 was great too, but after you watch it a couple of times, there is not too much more to see. This one people will be watching hundreds of times.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Endangered_Wulf
Roadhouse Member

Post by Endangered_Wulf »

IAmHappeningAgain wrote:The Joy Division song is called "Dead Souls," and that's not the song they were playing.
Correct 'Dead Souls' (my bad) however I never said they were playing that song. All I pointed out was the 'tie in'
"Fire is the devil, hiding like a coward in the smoke" -Margaret Lanterman The Log Lady
BlueRose69

Post by BlueRose69 »

mtwentz wrote:The people who were complaining about too much Dougie finally got an episode without him...
And they'll probably still have something to complain about now :p
IAmHappeningAgain
Roadhouse Member

Post by IAmHappeningAgain »

The convenience store scene was definitely hurt by not having TLMFAP or the Chalfonts or even The Jumping Man included. I mean, I'm sure we all connected the dots and everything, but not seeing any of those characters was weak.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

asquideatingdough wrote:Also, just curious, who was that who introduced NIN?
idk but he was a near dead ringer for Jimmy Scott. SPOOKY
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

the nuke bomb thing gave me serious carnivale flashbacks.
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:Also, just curious, who was that who introduced NIN?
idk but he was a near dead ringer for Jimmy Scott. SPOOKY
Yeah I totally thought it was him. Didn't realize he passed in 2014. Didn't catch him in the credits either.
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

mtwentz wrote:The people who were complaining about too much Dougie finally got an episode without him...
lol :)