Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BigEd
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by BigEd »

The Diane thing could be much more mundane. Perhaps when Denise took over, she and Diane didn't get along well and Diane's FBI career came to an abrupt end. I honestly don't know any sexual assault victims, but I've encountered many people who have experienced what I just described. Many of them go through life acting exactly like Diane does, right down to the FU Tammy to the new kid who is now being championed right up the career ladder. Anyone who has ever worked for Megacorp has likely seen the exact same thing.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

guildnavigator wrote:Just had a thought: what if Richard is Ben and Catherine's son?
I do think there was something weird and unspoken about Catherine's fate in Secret History. After Pete's death, she just sold over Ghostwood to Ben and became a recluse. I don't think she's Richard's mom, but I do think something strange probably happened to her.

I wonder if when Laura was tossed out of the Lodge, maybe she appeared next to the giant log in front of Catherine and Pete's house. It would be a weird way of coming full circle.
Voided
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voided »

F*U*Tammy wrote:Hi everyone,

First post here as I only recently found this community. I'm really liking it, and I love reading all of your theories/comments.

I have a theory for Diane's saltiness, which I am very much enjoying because Laura Deen is an amazing actress. While I find the sexual assault theory to be plausible, for some reason my gut is telling me that isn't what happened. Diane is mad at Cooper and the FBI, but I think it's because she felt like they both turned their backs on her. Here's what I came up with:

1) Cooper - Diane and Cooper obviously had a close and, one would assume, warm relationship during the original series. Whether or not that relationship was romantic us unknown, but they were obviously at the very least good friends and confidants. Then Cooper essentially abandoned her after he emerged from the lodge as Bad Cooper. Imagine someone who you have basically devoted your life to just up and disappearing. Especially if that person also abandoned everything he previously stood for and believed in. That's going to make you worried, then confused, and then angry and bitter.

2) FBI - During the initial abandonment, I'm betting Diane was the one person who raised the alarm about Dopplecooper's out-of-character behavior. Knowing what we know about her, I have no doubt that she went straight to Gordon and told him something was wrong. For whatever reason (maybe they couldn't find him, or maybe Dopplecooper sent in a resignation letter), I think Cole brushed her off. This would explain why she's so angry that they have come back begging for her help. They didn't want to listen to her when she begged them for help, but they ended up realizing she was right and she was (rightfully IMO) pissed about it.

A few othet supporting theories I have:

A) Dopplecooper somehow stole Cooper's conscious memories when he exited the lodge. This explains how he was able to recognize everyone and correctly answer Diane's question about the last time they saw each other. The real Cooper was able to retain only rudimentary/deeply rooted information about his life. He only sees flashes of things that seem familiar without being able to put them in context. It's like seeing someone vaguely familiar without being able to remember where/when you've seen them before.

B) It's possible Cooper and Diane had a romantic moment that they planned to explore after the conclusion of the Twin Peaks case. Or mayb she was in love with him, but he was too much of a professional to let anything happen with a coworker. Then she starts getting tapes about Annie, and (Dopple)Cooper ghosts her. Again, I can see why she would be angry/bitter.

C) Gordon was scared to see Diane alone. He knew he was wrong when he ignored her requests for help, and he knew she held him responsible for her emotional pain. That's why he tried to get Albert to get her to help.

D) At some point, Gordon realized his folly in not listening to Diane. They tried to find Cooper, leading to the one and only photo of Dopplecooper in Rio. Once Dopplecooper realized they were looking for him, he went underground.

E) This one's a stretch. What if Gordon and Diane had an earlier marriage? This would explain her hug and his awkwardness in returning it. I'm just saying, it's weird that we don't know her last name. She's an important character.

So that's it. Sorry for the long post! I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I guess I had a lot to say. :lol:
Diane's last name is Evans.
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
F*U*Tammy

Post by F*U*Tammy »

Voided wrote:

First post here as I only recently found this community. I'm really liking it, and I love reading all of your theories/comments.

I have a theory for Diane's saltiness, which I am very much enjoying because Laura Deen is an amazing actress. While I find the sexual assault theory to be plausible, for some reason my gut is telling me that isn't what happened. Diane is mad at Cooper and the FBI, but I think it's because she felt like they both turned their backs on her. Here's what I came up with:

1) Cooper - Diane and Cooper obviously had a close and, one would assume, warm relationship during the original series. Whether or not that relationship was romantic us unknown, but they were obviously at the very least good friends and confidants. Then Cooper essentially abandoned her after he emerged from the lodge as Bad Cooper. Imagine someone who you have basically devoted your life to just up and disappearing. Especially if that person also abandoned everything he previously stood for and believed in. That's going to make you worried, then confused, and then angry and bitter.

2) FBI - During the initial abandonment, I'm betting Diane was the one person who raised the alarm about Dopplecooper's out-of-character behavior. Knowing what we know about her, I have no doubt that she went straight to Gordon and told him something was wrong. For whatever reason (maybe they couldn't find him, or maybe Dopplecooper sent in a resignation letter), I think Cole brushed her off. This would explain why she's so angry that they have come back begging for her help. They didn't want to listen to her when she begged them for help, but they ended up realizing she was right and she was (rightfully IMO) pissed about it.

A) Dopplecooper somehow stole Cooper's conscious memories when he exited the lodge. This explains how he was able to recognize everyone and correctly answer Diane's question about the last time they saw each other. The real Cooper was able to retain only rudimentary/deeply rooted information about his life. He only sees flashes of things that seem familiar without being able to put them in context. It's like seeing someone vaguely familiar without being able to remember where/when you've seen them before.

B) It's possible Cooper and Diane had a romantic moment that they planned to explore after the conclusion of the Twin Peaks case. Or mayb she was in love with him, but he was too much of a professional to let anything happen with a coworker. Then she starts getting tapes about Annie, and (Dopple)Cooper ghosts her. Again, I can see why she would be angry/bitter.

C) Gordon was scared to see Diane alone. He knew he was wrong when he ignored her requests for help, and he knew she held him responsible for her emotional pain. That's why he tried to get Albert to get her to help.

D) At some point, Gordon realized his folly in not listening to Diane. They tried to find Cooper, leading to the one and only photo of Dopplecooper in Rio. Once Dopplecooper realized they were looking for him, he went underground.

E) This one's a stretch. What if Gordon and Diane had an earlier marriage? This would explain her hug and his awkwardness in returning it. I'm just saying, it's weird that we don't know her last name. She's an important character.

So that's it. Sorry for the long post! I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I guess I had a lot to say. :lol:
Doh! Thank you! I'll edit my post.
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

F*U*Tammy wrote:
Voided wrote:

Doh! Thank you! I'll edit my post.
Evans. Cole. Etc. She could have reverted to her maiden name, taken the last name of another partner, who knows. Lots of interesting new theories in this post. No need to edit it. Lots of mystery, answers may come ... or not!
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

Phew! Only just caught up with the thread!

While it's certainly not confirmed BadCoop raped Diane, I do have an issue with most of the alternative theories that suggest Pre TP Dale and Diane had a relationship or anything of that sort. Firstly this suggests that normal (good) Dale would be so awful as to screw Diane over, which is not in keeping with Dale's character, and secondly for him to jilt her and then send her tapes from TP as if they were still very close would be so insensitive and again out of character.

There is also another thing people have written I personally find strange - the idea that if she'd met BadCoop before why was she so shocked to discover that he was 'not there' anymore - I don't know about you, but as a normal person if someone does something weird or abnormal or even soulless, my first assumption is not that they've been replaced by an evil doppelgänger of themselves from a netherworld. I know she's Coop's assistant but still. She may even have had her suspicions but seeing him up close and looking into his eyes confirmed it was not the good Dale (combined with what she'd heard on the plane). The repeated reference to 'that night' also suggests it was one dramatic night. I just fail to see how our Dale Cooper could've done something bad to Diane pre-TP and then send her tapes like nothing bad happened at all. That's not our Coop.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

You've completely changed my mind firefly (or more accurately, returned it to my first thought). I particularly like your sentence about not assuming someone has a Doppelgänger from the netherworld (although this will now be working assumption in future).
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

Some other general observations:

1) It's amazing how many of the plot lines or characters from parts 1+2 haven't been seen since then.

2) I think people getting angry about any Annie retconning are very premature. Mark Frost said she did not win Miss Twin Peaks - no good writer retcons one of their own characters like that for no reason. Lynch also specifically included her in FWWM when there was really no need to. None of that was necessary. Even if both never loved the character, a Lynch (and somewhat Frost) thing to do is to re-contextualise her, not ignore her. *Something* is up with her. To me Annie reminds me of Betty from Mulholland Dr, so as an archetype she's not one Lynch is averse to playing with.

3) I think the idea BadCoop raped Audrey/Diane because they were women Coop was attracted to would make a great plot idea. They were women Coop was attracted to, but regular Coop was too professional and moral to indulge his attraction. His very attraction to these women is what caused them to be eventually abused by BadCoop. Imagine how painful that would be for Dale.

4) I'm enjoying the series a lot so far, but also feel something is missing but have hope that won't remain the case. At times it's often felt like a journey simply along a series of plot points. Lynch's post TP work has always included a deeper level than the surface as well as working deeply in abstractions. TPTR has often felt a little too literal (ie Cole having to explain the 'yrev' thing and spell it out). I do however have the feeling at some point we're gonna have the rug pulled out from under us. I just hope the series develops in such a way as to have as profound or spiritual centre the was both TP and FWWM did.
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

baxter wrote:You've completely changed my mind firefly (or more accurately, returned it to my first thought). I particularly like your sentence about not assuming someone has a Doppelgänger from the netherworld (although this will now be working assumption in future).
Haha, well I've been seeing Bob everywhere in people's actions for years now! :lol:
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

just had a rewatch and this episode really, really knocked my socks off. the series is really shaping up to feel like Twin Peaks again.. i can't imagine how anyone who loved the old show would not be really pleased by this. it hits all the right notes.
seacow

Post by seacow »

Henrys Hair wrote:
seacow wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I wonder if that farmer's last name is Blodgett?
Silly question but it's killing me, what's the reference here? :p
When Andy cried after Laura Palmer's corpse is found in the pilot episode, Harry reminds him that he'd also cried after the discovery in Mr Blodgett's barn.
Dang, I thought I knew every character and reference there was! Thank you :) Speaking of characters, is anyone keeping a running thread of all the new characters introduced, even those we haven't seen, such as Linda, Mikey, etc.? I keep rewatching the series over and over thinking I should start keeping track of them all, if no one hasn't yet.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

E) This one's a stretch. What if Gordon and Diane had an earlier marriage? This would explain her hug and his awkwardness in returning it.

Great first post. I won't respond to most of it as you've likely already read my opinions earlier, but in regards to points 1 and 2...

1. If Cooper simply went off the radar, much like other people associated with the case had, wouldn't Diane be more concerned than angry?

2. I'm not sure how much Diane would know about Coop's Doppelgangeriness if A. she'd not met him after the Twin Peaks case and he was relying on stolen memories. Are you suggesting she'd be angry with both Cooper and the FBI if DoppelCoop had sent in a resignation letter?

As Sunday draws closer I'm really looking forward to Diane and Cole having their talk. In a way I'm glad we may only have to speculate on this for one week!
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

For some reason I like the tingling feeling that I get every time I realize we don't know jacks**t about when Coop will be "whole" again and regain his consciousness. It might happen in the upcoming part, it might happen in August. No one knows.

That's why watching on a weekly basis has so much more to it than just binging and be done.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

The whole week has passed in a flash for me, and it's only a few days before the next episode. I have no idea what's going to happen, but have a feeling that some of the initial plots might now be revisited (e.g. New York). I assume there is no deliberate structure for a cliff hanger before the break.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

- I'm very curious about the entity which walked behind Lieutenant Knox when she was on the phone. I think its the same spooky guy who appeared at the jail cell in PART 1/2. Possible lodge inhabitor ?

- Also did anyone entertain the possibility that Dougie's assassination attempt ending up on the news will be the way for Cole and the FBI to locate and meet with him ? Now that Dougie's fingerprints are all over the crime scene, they could easily compare it to the ones of Cooper and confirm his real identity.