Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

beyondthesea

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by beyondthesea »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:The "problem" with Tammy is she isn't acting how ppl expected nor wanted so she's bad. Kinda like how FWWM wasn't what fans expected nor wanted so it was bad. That's just my two cents because there's nothing about her that I feel would honestly gain such a negative response. I just don't get it!
I genuinely look forward to her scenes. Every scene so far with the Feds has been good. I really do feel she adds to the show.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

Denise's Pieces wrote:
I love that I don't have any wants or expectations from the show. I'm just along for the ride and will go wherever Lynch and Frost decide to take me.
What if they take you up a dark alley and steal your wallet and shoes? What then? WHAT THEN?
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Hockey Mask wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote:
I agree that I would be a result of events that happened when she last met Cooper, but I wouldn't be surprised if she told no-one, because she didn't feel he could trust anyone she previously trusted (or that anyone would believe Cooper would do such a thing). 25 years of keeping that secret to herself, drowning it out with alcohol and, potentially, a string of meaningless relationships, would be a great reason to grow resentful and bitter of her previous employers and work colleagues.

This may also be why, once she learns he is in prison and that they're suspicious of him, that she agrees to go with them. I think that also, once she overhears the discussion on the plane and considers that 'Cooper' is not who is seems, and realises that those 25 years of bottling up her hatred of a man she once admired are now revealed to be based on a lie, she finally feels able to break down and face that trauma with Cole, knowing that he is already suspicious of this imposter. I think, up until this point, the anger has been one of several methods she has used to stop people she once trusted getting too close.
I think that is close to the truth. We have to wonder though, what was it that made her not recognize Cooper as a doppelganger years before, when he presumably raped/assaulted her. Cooper must have been someone she trusted, and the trust was mutual, as evidenced by Cooper's recordings in the original series. The good Dale entrusted Diane with most of his intimate thoughts, not all perhaps, but far more than would be shared with a mere acquaintance or a work colleague. Diane has changed her mind about Cooper and the FBI (especially) in the 20+ year interval between then and today. What happened? How did the doppelganger manage to fool her, given that she would have none of his cr*p today?
Harry didn't notice either in S2. In fact, the audience didn't know either for those few minutes. Maybe he has progressively gotten worse.
Yes,this could be true. After all, Leland has managed to conceal his Bob identity for decades. Though there were clues, that both his wife and daughter picked up on, realizing that something was wrong with him, before he went on a killing spree. I think that Diane would've been quicker to identify the threat though. I am very interested to see how this angle of the "bad" coop story pans out.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Agent Earle wrote: Seems like pretty sloppy attitude to me, if that's the case. Would like the writers/showrunners to show a little more respect for the series' narrative history (and the old viewers)... New viewers can always look it up, it's not like the original material is unavailable at this point. And if anyone's watching this show without prior knowledge - even though the fact that it's a continuation of the 25+ years old show was practically the only selling point ever since the announcement -, I wonder why he's bothering, frankly.
Exposition dumps are a writing no-no. It feels less like natural dialogue and more like name dropping references. I mean, at that point you could argue; well, they should've mentioned Norma, but, then they should've mentioned that it took place at Miss Twin Peaks, but, then you have to mention Windom Earle and his killing spree, oh, right, you have to also mention that Earle was Coops old partner who wanted revenge. At that point, you might as well just rewatch Season 2! So, frankly, your approach is the sloppy one ..

They gave what you needed to know. We've seen Norma already. Annie being her sister matters nil to the main thread of the story (and hell, barely mattered in the original run, it was just an easy tactic to drop a character in from thin air; Norma didn't seem to care at all that her sister was missing in the season 2 finale).

Frankly, I find this attitude baffling, especially considering the last couple episodes have been more respectful of the original run than most would've expected (Heidi, a possible Josie reference, not writing Harry out completely, Annie name drop, Doc Hayward talking about Coop, diary pages). I think you're expecting a retread more than a continuation.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:The "problem" with Tammy is she isn't acting how ppl expected nor wanted so she's bad. Kinda like how FWWM wasn't what fans expected nor wanted so it was bad. That's just my two cents because there's nothing about her that I feel would honestly gain such a negative response. I just don't get it!
Speaking for myself I had zero expectations for the character and/or actress. Sometimes bad acting is just that - bad acting.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Nighthawk wrote: Yes,this could be true. After all, Leland has managed to conceal his Bob identity for decades. Though there were clues, that both his wife and daughter picked up on, realizing that something was wrong with him, before he went on a killing spree. I think that Diane would've been quicker to identify the threat though. I am very interested to see how this angle of the "bad" coop story pans out.
I imagine Doppelcoop hasn't actually had to impersonate the real Dale Cooper since .. well, probably in the early 90s when he went 'missing'.

I think most people though have would have a high tolerance for someone they're friends with acting somewhat off, simply because most people don't expect them to actually be their murderous doppelgänger. So, I think it would've been really easy for Doppelcoop, even doing a piss poor impersonation, to get his foot in whatever doors he wanted.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

musicaddict wrote:Speaking for myself I had zero expectations for the character and/or actress. Sometimes bad acting is just that - bad acting.
Lynch has used non-actors to great effect before, the classic example being Monty Montgomery as The Cowboy in Mulholland Drive. His deadpan lack of technique worked superbly.
I suspect Lynch cast Chrysta Bell partly as eye-candy and partly to provide a lust-object for Cole. Denise Bryson already hinted about Cole's track record with women, and his, uh, close contact with Shelley Johnson supports that.
Personally I find Tammy oddly fascinating, with her peculiarly elegant, swan-like movements.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

douglasb wrote:
Denise's Pieces wrote:
I love that I don't have any wants or expectations from the show. I'm just along for the ride and will go wherever Lynch and Frost decide to take me.
What if they take you up a dark alley and steal your wallet and shoes? What then? WHAT THEN?
He'd be the happiest victim of mugging in human history, which ain't bad ! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Rudagger wrote:
Nighthawk wrote: Yes,this could be true. After all, Leland has managed to conceal his Bob identity for decades. Though there were clues, that both his wife and daughter picked up on, realizing that something was wrong with him, before he went on a killing spree. I think that Diane would've been quicker to identify the threat though. I am very interested to see how this angle of the "bad" coop story pans out.
I imagine Doppelcoop hasn't actually had to impersonate the real Dale Cooper since .. well, probably in the early 90s when he went 'missing'.

I think most people though have would have a high tolerance for someone they're friends with acting somewhat off, simply because most people don't expect them to actually be their murderous doppelgänger. So, I think it would've been really easy for Doppelcoop, even doing a piss poor impersonation, to get his foot in whatever doors he wanted.
He also is probably claiming to be undercover which explains his altered appearance.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Nighthawk wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
I think that is close to the truth. We have to wonder though, what was it that made her not recognize Cooper as a doppelganger years before, when he presumably raped/assaulted her. Cooper must have been someone she trusted, and the trust was mutual, as evidenced by Cooper's recordings in the original series. The good Dale entrusted Diane with most of his intimate thoughts, not all perhaps, but far more than would be shared with a mere acquaintance or a work colleague. Diane has changed her mind about Cooper and the FBI (especially) in the 20+ year interval between then and today. What happened? How did the doppelganger manage to fool her, given that she would have none of his cr*p today?
Harry didn't notice either in S2. In fact, the audience didn't know either for those few minutes. Maybe he has progressively gotten worse.
Yes,this could be true. After all, Leland has managed to conceal his Bob identity for decades. Though there were clues, that both his wife and daughter picked up on, realizing that something was wrong with him, before he went on a killing spree. I think that Diane would've been quicker to identify the threat though. I am very interested to see how this angle of the "bad" coop story pans out.
Problem is... now badCoop knows that Diane is used by the FBI to recognize him. I am afraid that Diane will die before Cooper awakens.

Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote: Harry didn't notice either in S2. In fact, the audience didn't know either for those few minutes. Maybe he has progressively gotten worse.
Problem is... now badCoop knows that Diane is used by the FBI to recognize him. I am afraid that Diane will die before Cooper awakens.

Unless... When Cooper went into this catatonic state, it was right after he entered the world. Same time BadCoop had his car accident and upchucked his garmonbozia. Prior to that, Cooper was on the psychic plane acting as he normally does. Now, at the end of this ep after we've left the Dougie parts BadCoop breaks free. It would be suitable if that got mirrored in the Dougie plot, with Cooper's awakening happening early next ep to match DoppelCoop leaving the prison.

Or we'll get more Dougie and I'll love it. But hey, if an external stimulus like coffee, the word Agent, uncovering a criminal conspiracy or being directly attacked won't wake him... and neither the One-Armed Man nor the Evolution of the Arm can wake him... maybe the movement of his Doppelganger and the fact that this unbalanced evil is active once more can reverberate back to him. It's a good narrative reason.

God-willing, he wakes up at 1 AM and somehow intuitively dials Albert's cell phone. "Albert... check the prison." "What the f--k, man?" "I had a dream. Check the prison." "Oh my god, it's really you."
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

A probably controversial opinion. Chrysta Bell is not very good in this show but she's much better than Joan Chen ever was. :mrgreen:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

boske wrote:Just rewatched it the first time, noticed one small thing: when DoppleCoop greets Ray in the prison corridor, just as they are about the leave, the greeting is pretty much identical to the one when Leland's doppleganger greets Cooper doppleganger in the lodge in episode 29.
Check. Noticed this too.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Ragnell wrote:
Unless... When Cooper went into this catatonic state, it was right after he entered the world. Same time BadCoop had his car accident and upchucked his garmonbozia. Prior to that, Cooper was on the psychic plane acting as he normally does. Now, at the end of this ep after we've left the Dougie parts BadCoop breaks free. It would be suitable if that got mirrored in the Dougie plot, with Cooper's awakening happening early next ep to match DoppelCoop leaving the prison.
I like the way you think. Good idea there! It would line up just perfectly.

At first, GoodCoop enters "Dougie" state, then EvilCoop gets arrested, now that the latter walks out of prison, a change is immminent for "DougieCoop".

Nice catch, paints great pictures in my mind. Let's see what pt. 8 has in store. It's title lets me think of either Sarah or EvilCoop.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Ragnell wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:

Unless... When Cooper went into this catatonic state, it was right after he entered the world. Same time BadCoop had his car accident and upchucked his garmonbozia. Prior to that, Cooper was on the psychic plane acting as he normally does.
Cooper smashed his head into a mirror at the conclusion of season 2 after seeing Bob in the mirror. He never acted normal for what we know after Cooper or, more likely, his doppelganger got ejected from the Black Lodge. Unless this single instance of "crazy" was the only time anything odd happened to him. I doubt that though.