Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

freeek
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by freeek »

Great episode. "Fuck you, Tammy !". Oh, TAG. :mrgreen:

I might be wrong but I think what Dougie is trying to draw is the Owl Cave paintings.
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

No mention of the bookhouse boys yet.

Pretty sure frank will be a member. And maybe andy now.
james.mooney.

Re: RE: Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by james.mooney. »

Mairzy wrote:
dbz9 wrote:
james.mooney. wrote:I think it is possible that Riley Lynch played two separate and unrelated characters: the guitarist in the roadhouse band, and "Bing."

Is it possible that the man who Andy interviewed and agreed to meet later was Riley Lynch in a wig and fake beard as "Bing"?

Richard realized that Bing was going to talk to the police and killed him, leaving his front door open?

Later, a friend of Bing's can't find him and rushes into the RR frantically searching for him?
pretty sure the guy andy interviewed is "farmer" in the credits, played by ted dowling: http://www.teddowling.com/media/
Certainly sounds like the guy says Billy at the end. So I guess that must make him Bing. And yep that is Ted Dowling's distinctive face. I originally thought he could be BOB when going over the cast photos.
Good looking out. Thanks! I edited my original post.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Rudagger wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:I still think a Harry Truman cameo is also even slightly possible. Maybe Harry has been in the shadows searching for Coop all these years...
Sounds more like he's in a cancer ward.

As someone who's a huge Harry fan, and been consistently hoping he'd have a cameo despite his name not being on the cast list (and starting to get my hopes up given how they keep mentioning him), I thought last night's episode was kind of the nail in the coffin. If they were going to do it at any time, it would've been on the phone to talk about Coop, in my opinion. I wouldn't be shocked if Doc Hayward's Skype bit replaced an intended Harry cameo once it became clear that Ontkean not only wouldn't be willing to take a large role (as it sort of feels like Harry's role in this series has been split off between Hawk and Frank, and the phones calls are a cheap/easy way to write out Harry while still giving him some acknowledgement given how important he was to the original run). That is to say, perhaps the initial expectation was that Ontkean would reprise, and then he decided to just do a small role, so they wrote his character as ill but present via phone (ala Log Lady + Hayward), and even still he decided not to do that? Who knows. .
I remember Arbogast saying Warren Frost was on the cast list for a specific reason, to fulfill a certain narrative purpose, and I think from last night it is obvious to substitute what would have been Ontkean dialogue on Cooper's behavior after he emerged from the Lodge.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Rudagger wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:I can't take credit for this but this is before and after still photos of when the guy came in asking for either Bing or Billy...
Spoiler:
Done to show passing of time? or is it something else...
Eh. As someone who's edited before, it's more than likely just that the editors scrounged to find a shot that worked, for whatever reason. You'd be surprised just how much you can get away with in post because the average viewer can only focus on so many points of interest at once. Same reason you end up with re-used Norma stuff or 1-1-9 (which, to be fair, are two examples where they didn't get away with it, because it is *super* noticeable, but, I guess they felt they they added something to the respective scenes).

So, I guess that's to say, I'd be very surprised if this means anything.

But that doesn't explain why they would have completely different actors in different spots throughout the restaurant.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

I wonder why Dr Hayward would assume Cooper was visiting Audrey the ICU instead of Annie? Annie was also in the hospital at the time as seen in FWWM.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Just rewatched it the first time, noticed one small thing: when DoppleCoop greets Ray in the prison corridor, just as they are about the leave, the greeting is pretty much identical to the one when Leland's doppleganger greets Cooper doppleganger in the lodge in episode 29.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Rudagger wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:I can't take credit for this but this is before and after still photos of when the guy came in asking for either Bing or Billy...
Spoiler:
Done to show passing of time? or is it something else...
Eh. As someone who's edited before, it's more than likely just that the editors scrounged to find a shot that worked, for whatever reason. You'd be surprised just how much you can get away with in post because the average viewer can only focus on so many points of interest at once. Same reason you end up with re-used Norma stuff or 1-1-9 (which, to be fair, are two examples where they didn't get away with it, because it is *super* noticeable, but, I guess they felt they they added something to the respective scenes).

But that doesn't explain why they would have completely different actors in different spots throughout the restaurant.
Yes it does. The whole point I was getting at is that they might have had to scrounge footage for whatever reason (maybe they didn't have enough head on the shot they used of the man entering and shouting, or there's a noticeably distracting extra, whatever, and had done a bunch of different set-ups in bulk from that angle in case they needed more Double R interior establishing shots, as a result maybe they decided to cheat a shot that intended for a different scene or purpose and use that here). Same as how Norma and 1-1-9 seem like shots that weren't necessarily intended for those respective second uses, but, were repurposed in editing. Sometimes you just don't have a shot, and it happens surprisingly frequently (especially with location shooting where you're on a tight schedule).
Denise's Pieces
Roadhouse Member

Post by Denise's Pieces »

I don't think that Ray is going to be alive much longer.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

mtwentz wrote: I remember Arbogast saying Warren Frost was on the cast list for a specific reason, to fulfill a certain narrative purpose, and I think from last night it is obvious to substitute what would have been Ontkean dialogue on Cooper's behavior after he emerged from the Lodge.
Yeah, that would make sense. They probably needed just one character who was visibly with Coop during the final scenes of the series/Missing Pieces (well maybe not *need*, but, it has more power when they use one of those characters that the audience saw with him in those final scenes). I think Hayward and Truman were the only ones that interacted with Doppelcoop on screen (unless Andy was present when Coop/Annie fall out, but, I can't remember, and it probably would lack some of the emotion given Andy's comic relief role).
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Agent327 wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote: I agree with you both in principle and per the nature of Gordon's vocation.
Normally it would bug me.
In this case though, either version still adds up to 10 words which is the point or the particular point he's emphasizing.
Yeah...But it bugs be that Lynch wouldn't make absolutely sure that he got something like that right.

The fact that the sentence still adds up to 10 words is probably the reason that ensured Lynch got it wrong. If it hadn't, he would have realized his mistake and re-watched the Bad Coop scene he was referencing as Cole.

But maybe I'm in the minority, since people who don't like the show think there are much bigger fish to fry so they will let it pass without blinking, and people who love the show will do the "It's deliberate, all part of Lynch's genius" like they did with slightly sub par CGI work and other things.

I just find myself in the middle of those two positions; liking the show, being into the story, but seeing room for improvement in various places. And a big mistake like that one takes me right out of it, makes the world it's trying to create much less credible, and I'm surprised that no one watched the show to look for continuity /factual errors on a high profile show like this.
I thought that the line was intentionally different... like it's a ten word "code" phrase that deep cover agents use when they come back in. Except that DopelCoop got it wrong... very wrong!
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Rudagger wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Rudagger wrote:

Yes it does. The whole point I was getting at is that they might have had to scrounge footage for whatever reason (maybe they didn't have enough head on the shot they used of the man entering and shouting, or there's a noticeably distracting extra, whatever, and had done a bunch of different set-ups in bulk from that angle in case they needed more Double R interior establishing shots, as a result maybe they decided to cheat a shot that intended for a different scene or purpose and use that here). Same as how Norma and 1-1-9 seem like shots that weren't necessarily intended for those respective second uses, but, were repurposed in editing. Sometimes you just don't have a shot, and it happens surprisingly frequently (especially with location shooting where you're on a tight schedule).
I guess that's possible but I'd be surprised if there was another night shot at the diner like that where the characters happened to be looking at the door. Could be wrong. Could be just a simple editing trick. Or maybe it was just to show passing of time.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

Loved the episode, but I really don't understand how people see Andy as a good cop.
He had a potential suspect right in front of him, a very nervous suspect, I might add. But he chose to let him go to meet him later. That's extremely sloppy.
I've worked in hotels, and whenever someone would say "can I pay tomorrow? That's when I get my paycheck" alarm bells ring loud. People who are allowed to do that always run away from the bill.
It's not the same situation, but damn near it. Andy should have checked his trailer (he was clearly looking towards it nervously) or at least brought the dude in.
Not complaining tho, it kinda fits the character.

On another note, The Return has made me expect certain things every episode, but it keeps faking me out, going left when I think it will go right.
In this episode I expected that each time a scene with Diane ended, we would have to wait until the next one.
After Albert and Cole in his office: Diane next week, I guess.
After A/C/D in her apartment: meeting Dale next week, I guess.
After plane to South Dakota: DALE NEXT WEEK I GUESS.
After prison hallway: Dale next week, I guess?
After Cooper/Diane: debriefing next week?
After debriefing: are we gonna be with them the whole episode?

Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

boske wrote:Just rewatched it the first time, noticed one small thing: when DoppleCoop greets Ray in the prison corridor, just as they are about the leave, the greeting is pretty much identical to the one when Leland's doppleganger greets Cooper doppleganger in the lodge in episode 29.
Yes, it looked exactly like that to me, and the way Bad Coop followed him looked exactly the same, too.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

thedarktrees wrote:I think we might keep in mind that not everyone in the town would have known about Coop and Annie. I don’t think it’s weird that Hawk and Frank didn’t really say much about her when her name comes up in the missing pages.
I agree Hawk may not have know Cooper was dating Annie. Although it does seem like Harry would have mentioned this. BUT- not mentioning she is Norma's sister is very weird.

Also strange that no one ever looked in Cooper leaving before this. If they had, they would have talked to Annie and know that Cooper met with Briggs. Maybe at the time they thought he just left?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/