Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Soolsma »

''Your turn.''
"BUT YOU'LL GO WITH ME?"
''Say please.''
''WHAT?"
''You heard me.''
''Please.''

That was brilliant! :lol:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:I can't get over the humming or ringing noise in the great northern. I'm far too un-technological to loop these but the sound references I've heard people mention thus far don't match up.

Here's the one I heard was similar but it sounds too high pitched to be a match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfou9cw ... tu.be&t=19

Or this one skip to 3:00 mins in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guwl1w0yFGk

This one sounds different as well.

I can't find the clip of the audio from last nights episode online but I wish someone could compare the three of them looped up or something.

No one has any thoughts on this?
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

My response to this episode: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/06/ ... -body.html. I think this is probably my favorite so far. I've already watched it twice, and I feel like it has the best mix of elements, plus so many high points.

I didn't mention Tammy Preston, but her whole bizarre shtick grew on me a bit more this time mostly because the show itself seemed to be recognizing how ridiculous she was. Gordon's finger-game at first seemed just like a typically condescending gesture (she definitely seems to be his Shelly this time, even if it's not so overt as that was) but the second time I picked up on what he was actually suggesting about Cooper's bizarre phrasing.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbz9

Post by dbz9 »

james.mooney. wrote:I think it is possible that Riley Lynch played two separate and unrelated characters: the guitarist in the roadhouse band, and "Bing."

Is it possible that the man who Andy interviewed and agreed to meet later was Riley Lynch in a wig and fake beard as "Bing"?

Richard realized that Bing was going to talk to the police and killed him, leaving his front door open?

Later, a friend of Bing's can't find him and rushes into the RR frantically searching for him?
pretty sure the guy andy interviewed is "farmer" in the credits, played by ted dowling: http://www.teddowling.com/media/
h2nho
Roadhouse Member

Post by h2nho »

Somebody mentioned it a few pages back, but to me it's increasingly clear that Lynch & Frost rewatched the entire series (maybe even multiple times) before starting work on this new season. We have so many details from those past two seasons, even the smallest minutiae, paying off and being referenced. So, why would they tell people that they hadn't rewatched anything but the season 2 finale?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LostInTheMovies wrote:My response to this episode: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/06/ ... t-die.html. I think this is probably my favorite so far. I've already watched it twice, and I feel like it has the best mix of elements, plus so many high points.

I didn't mention Tammy Preston, but her whole bizarre shtick grew on me a bit more this time mostly because the show itself seemed to be recognizing how ridiculous she was. Gordon's finger-game at first seemed just like a typically condescending gesture (she definitely seems to be his Shelly this time, even if it's not so overt as that was) but the second time I picked up on what he was actually suggesting about Cooper's bizarre phrasing.
Joel, you linked to your review of the previous part. Here's the part 7 link, but I noticed that in the url it's called part 6:
http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/06/ ... -body.html
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

sherbertmachine wrote:Anyone else notice the windows on the airplane seemingly lighting up in a random fashion when they did the outside shot of the plane?

Or am I noticing a camera quirk and shouldn't try to decipher it? :D
I noticed it too. Appears to be just the sun reflecting off the windows I expect.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

I can't take credit for this but this is before and after still photos of when the guy came in asking for either Bing or Billy...
Spoiler:
Done to show passing of time? or is it something else...
Last edited by WhiteLodge90 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I think one of the challenges for some fans is that the structure of the show isn't anything they've experienced before. They keep expecting it to be structured with the pacing and highs and lows of a regular TV show when it's structured much more like a long novel. In literary novels in general, especially long ones, you have the time to slow the pacing down and explore character, themes, and moods. The average fan expects quick pacing to lead from one plot thread to another; what The Return does is use pacing to explore other things than mere plot (considered in literature to be the most shallow, uninteresting aspect of story -- for example, it's the most popular element in trashy genre fiction). Part 7 is very conventional in this sense because it mainly focuses on the latter, and it shows the audience how the structure of The Return is going to work -- it's going to treat all aspects of story as it likes, but it will also eventually give you your conventional genre treat (fast food) and when it does this the pacing will be more brisk. I would argue that 7 packs more emotional and thematic depth because of all the patient, detailed work that has come before to set it up.

What's unfortunate for the show is how some of its fanbase assumes that the one kind of narrative structure they're most used to is somehow "correct" and not merely something familiar to them. But Lynch and Frost aren't merely innovative in terms of content but form too. The show would benefit from fans having as open a mind about form as they do content. They ought to stop expecting parts of a movie/long visual novel to function like normal TV episodes.

Lynch and Frost are pulling off something truly epic. I think the closest thing to it would be some of Fassbender's German TV work.
I am thinking the same way. You can't apply the rules of television to this in order to make sense of it or to assess its quality. And I was also specifically thinking about how some view the cinematography; just because most great shows treat digital as film doesn't mean that it is the "correct" way.

Somewhat relatedly, I noticed a lot more camera movement in part 7. I'm really thinking that this show is, as many of us speculated, all about distance, and we're slowly getting closer. We've spent more time in Twin Peaks proper in every part so far, music has been more and more prevalent, certain characters, like Ben, start out glimpsed in long shots and only later get their close-up, etc. It really seems to be a painstakingly crafted work, slowly building to whatever its building to at the necessary pace, seamlessly ebbing and flowing from one part to the next.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

i’ll echo most: great episode. I’ve liked the whole series so far, but this episode really turned things up a lot. lots of intrigue.

-what’s this tension between albert and gordon, where albert makes him say “please”? he just finds gordon too unreasonably demanding? or might there be some backstory?

-I think this stuff about DoppelCoop visiting Audrey in the hospital isn’t really a given yet. Doc Hayward simply says he THINKS Cooper was trying to visit Audrey, not even that he actually saw Cooper anywhere near her. I think this comment might have just been a way of getting Audrey mentioned and that’s it.

-with Frank and Hawk reconstructing the Cooper’s disappearance, they seemed to have forgotten about Bobby Briggs’ comments about Coop visiting Briggs just before he "died"

-on Briggs: clearly he didn’t die in the fire the way everyone was made to think. So did he stage his own death to disappear somewhere? Did he wind up in the White Lodge or Black Lodge in some kind of stasis for 25 years? His involvement with the Coop/Dougie swap has to have something to do with this too.

-on hiding: I think it’s entirely possible that Annie has been in hiding for the last 25 years. If she got out of the lodge and has any memory of what the hell happened there, I think she might just want to get away. If she has any indication that Cooper isn’t Cooper anymore, maybe she has been in hiding from him. Or maybe someone has been protecting her.

I think we might keep in mind that not everyone in the town would have known about Coop and Annie. I don’t think it’s weird that Hawk and Frank didn’t really say much about her when her name comes up in the missing pages.

All that said: I think a Heather Graham cameo is entirely possible. I still think a Harry Truman cameo is also even slightly possible. Maybe Harry has been in the shadows searching for Coop all these years...
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:I can't take credit for this but this is before and after still photos of when the guy came in asking for either Bing or Billy...
Spoiler:
Done to show passing of time? or is it something else...
Eh. As someone who's edited before, it's more than likely just that the editors scrounged to find a shot that worked, for whatever reason. You'd be surprised just how much you can get away with in post because the average viewer can only focus on so many points of interest at once. Same reason you end up with re-used Norma stuff or 1-1-9 (which, to be fair, are two examples where they didn't get away with it, because it is *super* noticeable, but, I guess they felt they they added something to the respective scenes).

So, I guess that's to say, I'd be very surprised if this means anything.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

thedarktrees wrote:I still think a Harry Truman cameo is also even slightly possible. Maybe Harry has been in the shadows searching for Coop all these years...
Sounds more like he's in a cancer ward.

As someone who's a huge Harry fan, and been consistently hoping he'd have a cameo despite his name not being on the cast list (and starting to get my hopes up given how they keep mentioning him), I thought last night's episode was kind of the nail in the coffin. If they were going to do it at any time, it would've been on the phone to talk about Coop, in my opinion. I wouldn't be shocked if Doc Hayward's Skype bit replaced an intended Harry cameo once it became clear that Ontkean not only wouldn't be willing to take a large role (as it sort of feels like Harry's role in this series has been split off between Hawk and Frank, and the phones calls are a cheap/easy way to write out Harry while still giving him some acknowledgement given how important he was to the original run). That is to say, perhaps the initial expectation was that Ontkean would reprise, and then he decided to just do a small role, so they wrote his character as ill but present via phone (ala Log Lady + Hayward), and even still he decided not to do that? Who knows. .
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

dbz9 wrote:
james.mooney. wrote:I think it is possible that Riley Lynch played two separate and unrelated characters: the guitarist in the roadhouse band, and "Bing."

Is it possible that the man who Andy interviewed and agreed to meet later was Riley Lynch in a wig and fake beard as "Bing"?

Richard realized that Bing was going to talk to the police and killed him, leaving his front door open?

Later, a friend of Bing's can't find him and rushes into the RR frantically searching for him?
pretty sure the guy andy interviewed is "farmer" in the credits, played by ted dowling: http://www.teddowling.com/media/
Certainly sounds like the guy says Billy at the end. So I guess that must make him Bing. And yep that is Ted Dowling's distinctive face. I originally thought he could be BOB when going over the cast photos.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

I was thinking about the characterization this ep, and some things hit me about Frank Truman, Andy, Janey-E, and Coop.

First, the hidden monitor. It's continuing a theme in the Twin Peak's Sheriff's office with technology. The monitor is hidden in a traditional wooden desk. Lucy's area, the reception area that everyone sees when they first get into the office, has old fashioned phones and an old fashioned thermostat. And the modern switchboard area is down the hall behind a closed door. It all goes to show us how Frank differs form Harry. Harry was a very straightforward guy, he had the Bookhouse Boys in the background but ultimately didn't hide much and didn't expect others to. ("You don't know Laura" and the whole Josie plot, and advising the Judge to give Leland bail) Frank's the opposite. Like his surroundings, Frank seems like an old-fashioned, quiet man but when presented with the unconventional (The Log Lady's message, the Lodge in Laura's diary), he accepts it, factors it in, and processes it with any modern tools available. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

I suspected Andy had become a more seasoned, more capable officer from the fact that he took the OD death in the 4th ep, but here we see him performing as an investigator and playing up his strengths. There was no goofy Andy in trying to gather that info from that witness, you get this impression this is what Andy does best. (TSHOTP had a line saying he was good at getting people to talk to him.)

Janey-E's explanation for being so stingy seems irrational, but it makes perfect sense. Dougie has a decent job. They have a house. But, he's a gambler who resides in Las Vegas. She's seen all their savings dry up and any windfalls disappear through his behavior for years. That's why she's trying to lock down that 400K so desperately, and she's trying to only address the bad results from Dougie's gambling. Because he's liable to gamble it away And really, all of her behavior makes sense from that standpoint. She's used to him having a hangover or being drunk a lot, and while there's a LOT to make her concerned the fact that this behavior could be from being drunk or hungover excuses her initial obliviousness. Last ep she got the impression he might not be just hungover, but might be ill and it made her sad even as she was enraged. And this ep, she's talking for him and leading him around like she's afraid his boss might find out he's hungover or sick. (This is in the US and its probable that she has worries about healthcare costs if he loses his job.)

And finally, Coop. That fight scene tells us a LOT about Dale. Cooper's acting totally on instinct and muscle memory, but what he does and how he does it tells us so much about his core personality. His first move is to push Janey-E out of the way, which reminds us that Dale is a protector of the innocent and women in particular, to contrast a villain (BOB and BadCoop both) that preys on them. Then he disarms Ike by pushing his arm too low to hurt anyone else and holding him there. He hits him a few times but seems reluctant to offer any blows that would seriously hurt his enemy. THEN the Evolution of the Arm appears and urges him to squeeze Ike's hand off. Cooper's only willing, even acting on pure instinct, to use jsut enough force to stop the danger. The Lodge has to intervene to get him to use more so he can end it. Even after that, the gunman gets away.

Dale's instinctive act of violence, which initially seems so much like BadCoop's violence in his first scene in Part 1, actually establishes that when you strip everything away from Dale Cooper he is primarily a nonviolent person, driven to act out of protection rather than fear or rage. It's beautiful. It's perfect. It is exactly what I was hoping to see when someone directly attacked Dale.

It also, for me personally, invalidates the "Cooper's soul is split and must be reintegrated" theory. Cooper still has fight in him, still has violence in him. I think that defeating BadCoop will just be the metaphorical defeating your darkness, and will not be required to get the whole Coop.

And I think Coop woke up a little bit more. not the significant instant wakeup, but I bet next ep he'll be more responsive and more independent.
RainingPostToasties
Roadhouse Member

Post by RainingPostToasties »

While reflecting on Part 7 earlier, I recalled that the Arm urged Cooper to squeeze Ike's hand off during the hit attempt. The Arm itself was ostensibly born when Mike removed his own arm in an attempt to rid himself of evil. Could it be that Ike, too, has been "touched by the devilish one," and removing his hand will create a lodge spirit similar to the Arm? Maybe the Arm wanted a new partner?