Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

BEARisonFord wrote:
Leebob wrote:
Denise's Pieces wrote:Consider the parallels between Jerry in this episode and DougieCoop:

Can't find his car.
He's Lost. He doesn't know where he is.
He calls for help.

Could Jerry be so high that he has reached a different plane of existence? Or his mind has become open to receiving distress signals from DougieCoop due to his vicinity of the Lodge in the woods? Or is he channeling DougieCoop's thoughts?
I have been thinking the along the same lines: here is the full dialogue form Ben & Jerry:
Ben: Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, What's going on?
Jerry: Someone Stole my car.
Ben: What?
Jerry: Didn't I tell ya?
Ben: Jerry, What's going on? Somone Stole your car?
Jerry: You say the same thing.
Ben: What?....Jerry
Jerry: I think I'm high!
Ben: Oh, good lord Jerry…
Jerry: I don't know where I am!

The line "you say the same thing" seems odd - Also, there are a number of long pauses, which makes me wonder if this scene might be timed to coincide side by side with the later scene with Janey-E, Dougie-coop and the cops.
I believe there is a high probability this is simply just a funny scene between Jerry and Ben.
I don't I think it's very possible Jerry is truly lost and they want you believe that it was just thrown in for comedic relief. When someone goes missing in those woods or claims they are lost it's usually for a good reason.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Denise's Pieces
Roadhouse Member

Post by Denise's Pieces »

Leebob wrote:
Denise's Pieces wrote:Consider the parallels between Jerry in this episode and DougieCoop:

Can't find his car.
He's Lost. He doesn't know where he is.
He calls for help.

Could Jerry be so high that he has reached a different plane of existence? Or his mind has become open to receiving distress signals from DougieCoop due to his vicinity of the Lodge in the woods? Or is he channeling DougieCoop's thoughts?
I have been thinking the along the same lines: here is the full dialogue form Ben & Jerry:
Ben: Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, What's going on?
Jerry: Someone Stole my car.
Ben: What?
Jerry: Didn't I tell ya?
Ben: Jerry, What's going on? Somone Stole your car?
Jerry: You say the same thing.
Ben: What?....Jerry
Jerry: I think I'm high!
Ben: Oh, good lord Jerry…
Jerry: I don't know where I am!

The line "you say the same thing" seems odd - Also, there are a number of long pauses, which makes me wonder if this scene might be timed to coincide side by side with the later scene with Janey-E, Dougie-coop and the cops.
RIGHT! I forgot to include "You say the same thing" in my post. DougieCoop's dialog is made up of him 'saying the same thing' that another character says to him. Too many coincidences for JUST comic relief?
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

BEARisonFord wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:
Why do you say that? There may have just been no room for her in this story.
With how connected she was with the end story I'm not buying it either.

Josie and Chet Desmond I believe are similar as well that they both weren't asked seems fishy to me. Guess we'll see who was right in the end.
How is she connected in any other way besides getting Cooper into the Lodge? Not to diminish her character, but I think most of you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
A few obvious reasons... She's in Laura Palmers dream therefore they could look for her to ask her what that's about, she might be the only one who knows what went down in the lodge (pretty important plot device) also she is suspiciously absent from TSHOTP this was done on purpose I believe to not reveal something that will be on the show.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:[

I don't I think it's very possible Jerry is truly lost and they want you believe that it was just thrown in for comedic relief. When someone goes missing in those woods or claims they are lost it's usually for a good reason.
Not everything we see has to mean something, especially in a show like this!
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:
Rhodes wrote:
It is hardly conceivable that she wasn't even asked, is it?

Josie and Chet Desmond I believe are similar as well that they both weren't asked seems fishy to me. Guess we'll see who was right in the end.
I can see Josie not being asked back given her character died on the show, similar to Leo.

Chet Desmond I would put as even more important than Annie, given the circumstances of his disappearance are important and no one knows what happened to him. With Annie, they could always throw a line that she's not in town anymore, but I believe they would need to have more of a story for Chet Desmond.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:

How is she connected in any other way besides getting Cooper into the Lodge? Not to diminish her character, but I think most of you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
A few obvious reasons... She's in Laura Palmers dream therefore they could look for her to ask her what that's about, she might be the only one who knows what went down in the lodge (pretty important plot device) also she is suspiciously absent from TSHOTP this was done on purpose I believe to not reveal something that will be on the show.
Sure, my point is though, her character was conceived with a specific purpose. Despite her literal 5 second scene in FWWM, that purpose was fulfilled. I wouldn't have been surprised if Heather Graham had come back, but I certainly wasn't expecting it.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

So far major characters who have not been mentioned or mentioned or seen (In Big Ed's case) include the following....

In the series
- Big ED
-Betty Briggs

Not in the series

- Chet Desmond
- Sam Stanley
- Catherine Martel
- Pete Martel
- Leo Johnson
- Hank Jennings
- Windom Earle
- Josie Packard ?
- Donna
- Ronnette (Actress playing different role)
Last edited by WhiteLodge90 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

BEARisonFord wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:[

Not everything we see has to mean something, especially in a show like this!

You're right but I suspect there is more to this scene especially that it takes place in the woods.

Ben likely thought nothing of Jerry's phone call and hung up but maybe after he's still missing it will become a bigger issue. That's just my hunch. Maybe I'll change that viewpoint upon re-watch. But that's what my gut says.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:

I can see Josie not being asked back given her character died on the show, similar to Leo.

Chet Desmond I would put as even more important than Annie, given the circumstances of his disappearance are important and no one knows what happened to him. With Annie, they could always throw a line that she's not in town anymore, but I believe they would need to have more of a story for Chet Desmond.
That could be true for Josie however her being trapped in the hotel and dying in such a suspcious way makes me believe there is more story to tell there but I guess out of the three her storyline wrapped up the most.

As for Annie I explained on another post her importance which include being the only one who knows what happened in the lodge that day.

Chet Desmond is the biggest question mark in storyline obviously with the exception of Jeffries which I believe would have been in the new show in a big way had Bowie not past.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I didn't consider the Jerry-channeling-Coop thing at all, but wow, that would be fascinating if they went down that route, or at least explored the possibility of that.

We might not get Kyle Maclachlan playing Dale Cooper for a while (or at least Dale Cooper as we knew him), so maybe it would be sort fun if David Patrick Kelly came back from his experience in the woods portraying Special Agent Dale Cooper as he was in the original series. Dougie Jones has Cooper's soul, but Jerry Horne would somehow get all of Coop's memories and behavioral tics.

If anything, having Coop possess Jerry Horne would further compound the difficult Audrey/Richard scenario.

Also, even as high as Jerry was, it was rather odd for him to be looking for his car in the middle of the forest.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

BEARisonFord wrote:How is she connected in any other way besides getting Cooper into the Lodge? Not to diminish her character, but I think most of you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Well, for one she was IN THE LODGE with Cooper. Finding out what happened to him would start there. By at least talking to her. Not to mention she was the one to give Laura the message about Cooper!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I wouldn't overthink the continuity of the diary pages. It all sort of falls apart if you think too hard about the diaries in Season 1/2/FWWM (last week, I sat down and made a post about the timeline of the pages, and it doesn't work, as Leland both rips the pages out before the dream, Laura makes an entry in her secret diary on the day of her death, Leland brings the pages he tore out to the crime scene, etc.). I'd just go with it and accept it as a minor retcon (that she maybe had the dream multiple times, Leland grabbed a larger amount of pages, and only brought a few of them to the crime scene) and move on. If it works for the plot at hand, I can accept some fuzziness with the details.

Hearing that MJA was supposed to film some of those inserts bums me out. Just seeing a familiar face doing that bit (especially with a line as aggressive as "Squeeze his hand off!") would've added to it. Really wish that guy didn't decide to torch every bridge he had. It won't quite go down as a "No Robert Duvall in Godfather Part 3" level missed opportunity, but, it certainly hurts (and there's nothing Lynch really could do about it, given how much he already put up with).
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Ross wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:How is she connected in any other way besides getting Cooper into the Lodge? Not to diminish her character, but I think most of you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Well, for one she was IN THE LODGE with Cooper. Finding out what happened to him would start there. By at least talking to her. Not to mention she was the one to give Laura the message about Cooper!
Again, this is purely a plot device to get Cooper into the Lodge. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out what may have happened to Annie afterwards, but I just don't think any of this compels Lynch/Frost to include her in a story that clearly has little to do with her.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

BEARisonFord wrote:
Ross wrote:
Again, this is purely a plot device to get Cooper into the Lodge. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out what may have happened to Annie afterwards, but I just don't think any of this compels Lynch/Frost to include her in a story that clearly has little to do with her.
I understand what you mean, but from a realistic story point of view, the characters trying to find out what happened to Cooper would start by talking to Annie. I understand Lynch/Frost might not be interested in that. But Hawk and Truman would start there.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Jerry:" You say the same thing."
I just found that line fantastic hilarious. High and total paranoid :lol:

Now, let's talk about Annie:
Today I got a groundhog-day feeling to Annie's story.
That something happened in her life once, so traumatic, that she turned to comfort in God (been exposed to dark forces??), hiding in a convent, attempting suicide. This could very well be the result after a taste of the Black Lodge...