Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Rhodes »

BEARisonFord wrote:Why do you say that? There may have just been no room for her in this story.
It was the BIG cliffhanger of season 2!

Even if Lynch did not like Annie or Heather Graham or that plot, he mentions her name in The Return. So wouldn't it be better to have at least one shot with her (like with Leland)?

Could it be a deliberate choice to NOT have at least one scene with her (while she IS a part of season 3)?

What I'm therefore predicting is: we will see Heather Graham in the Return.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

mtwentz wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:IIRC the story was that MJA pulled out right before the day of the shoot.

I don't know how many involved him actually going on location vs. cutting to the Red Room, but I think there were a number of Vegas-set scenes where either intercuts or visions of MIKE/Gerard in the Red Room or now the Arm have been used to stand in for what was planned for MJA. Seamlessly for me.
Yep, pretty much seamlessly for me as well. Actually, I think the Arm has just brought it to a new level of weirdness that delights me.

That being said, I think the initial viewership of the show may have been hurt by not having MJA in the promos. His image, maybe even more than Kyle's or Sheryl's, was the singular image that kind of summarized what Twin Peaks was about. This is probably why MJA mistakenly thought he could command a Kyle-like salary to appear in the new series.
The show would be improved with MJA - his absence is really felt in the first episode - but I really love the Arm now. Especially its usage in this last episode. Just so unbelievably weird in the most brilliant way seeing it appear in tiny form on the street amidst all that.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Rhodes wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:Why do you say that? There may have just been no room for her in this story.

Even if Lynch did not like Annie or Heather Graham or that plot, he mentions her name in The Return. So wouldn't it be better to have at least one shot with her (like with Leland)?

Could it be a deliberate choice to NOT have at least one scene with her (while she IS a part of season 3)?
Who knows, Lynch/Frost clearly do not care about pleasing expectations so I can't say I'm surprised. Also, the crux of the season 2 cliffhanger has everything to do with Cooper thematically, and very little to do with Annie, who is essentially just a story device to get him into the Lodge.
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

Denise's Pieces wrote:Consider the parallels between Jerry in this episode and DougieCoop:

Can't find his car.
He's Lost. He doesn't know where he is.
He calls for help.

Could Jerry be so high that he has reached a different plane of existence? Or his mind has become open to receiving distress signals from DougieCoop due to his vicinity of the Lodge in the woods? Or is he channeling DougieCoop's thoughts?
I have been thinking the along the same lines: here is the full dialogue form Ben & Jerry:
Ben: Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, What's going on?
Jerry: Someone Stole my car.
Ben: What?
Jerry: Didn't I tell ya?
Ben: Jerry, What's going on? Somone Stole your car?
Jerry: You say the same thing.
Ben: What?....Jerry
Jerry: I think I'm high!
Ben: Oh, good lord Jerry…
Jerry: I don't know where I am!

The line "you say the same thing" seems odd - Also, there are a number of long pauses, which makes me wonder if this scene might be timed to coincide side by side with the later scene with Janey-E, Dougie-coop and the cops.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

By the way: I'm so happy that Robert Forster is playing Frank Truman.

People kept saying that we should get over the Harry-recast, and that it wasn't that big of a problem. As Forster is such a great actor.

Well, he is a great actor! I LOVE him as sheriff Frank Truman. But even imagening an alternative reality in which he would play Harry, makes me wanna cry. So grateful that they worked around it like this and decided not to recast. One of the biggest reliefs of The Return so far.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Leebob wrote:
Denise's Pieces wrote:Consider the parallels between Jerry in this episode and DougieCoop:

Can't find his car.
He's Lost. He doesn't know where he is.
He calls for help.

Could Jerry be so high that he has reached a different plane of existence? Or his mind has become open to receiving distress signals from DougieCoop due to his vicinity of the Lodge in the woods? Or is he channeling DougieCoop's thoughts?
I have been thinking the along the same lines: here is the full dialogue form Ben & Jerry:
Ben: Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, What's going on?
Jerry: Someone Stole my car.
Ben: What?
Jerry: Didn't I tell ya?
Ben: Jerry, What's going on? Somone Stole your car?
Jerry: You say the same thing.
Ben: What?....Jerry
Jerry: I think I'm high!
Ben: Oh, good lord Jerry…
Jerry: I don't know where I am!

The line "you say the same thing" seems odd - Also, there are a number of long pauses, which makes me wonder if this scene might be timed to coincide side by side with the later scene with Janey-E, Dougie-coop and the cops.
I believe there is a high probability this is simply just a funny scene between Jerry and Ben.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

BEARisonFord wrote:
Rhodes wrote:
Ross wrote: She said she wasn't asked- but wishes she would have been.
It is hardly conceivable that she wasn't even asked, is it?
Why do you say that? There may have just been no room for her in this story.
Seems like there must have been on the evidence of E7?

Weird, though.

No falling out or anything between Graham and Lynch by the sounds of it, yet no role in the series? Even when her character remains somewhat important and we have a huge 18 hour scope?
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

Fantastic episode! Convinced more than ever that we will see Ontkean at some point. If they can manage to get Warren Frost in for a Skype session, I don't see why they couldn't do the same for Harry - my feeling is they're saving his appearance for when the real Cooper is actually back in Twin Peaks

Not sure if anyone else has brought this up, but I'm wondering if Harry's illness isn't cancer (not that they've come right out and said it but it is implied to be) but is rather something caused by the dark forces of the woods and/or Evil Cooper getting closer to Twin Peaks. Given that Harry was the only person to witness Cooper entering the lodge, perhaps he was 'marked' by the dark forces and, now that Evil Cooper didn't go back in when he was supposed to, his health is worsening?
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Metamorphia wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:
Rhodes wrote:

Weird, though.

No falling out or anything between Graham and Lynch by the sounds of it, yet no role in the series? Even when her character remains somewhat important and we have a huge 18 hour scope?
Yeah I mean, again, this is not surprising. There's a chance Lynch/Frost simply did not want to continue any part of her narrative. Like I said above, Annie's entire character arc is basically a plot mechanism to get Cooper into the Lodge.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

BEARisonFord wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:

Weird, though.

Yeah I mean, again, this is not surprising. There's a chance Lynch/Frost simply did not want to continue any part of her narrative. Like I said above, Annie's entire character arc is basically a plot mechanism to get Cooper into the Lodge.
Yeah, that's all I can assume. You'd think it'd be something interesting to revisit though. Idk.

Maybe we're all in for a surprise...

... but I don't see why they'd keep Graham off the cast list.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

sylviecerise wrote:Really like the theory that DoppelCoop knows all of Coop's desires/secrets/vices. That would play into the series really well. I would assume Audrey didn't know it was Coop assuming the theory is true & she did become pregnant? Would she just have assumed it was JJW?
I've always assumed that's what a doppelgänger is. It's Coop, but his opposite, so where original Coop is principled and cares about people, Doppelcoop doesn't. He probably has plans and goals, they're just not nice ones. As opposed to BOB, who revels in pain and fear.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Rhodes wrote:

What I'm therefore predicting is: we will see Heather Graham in the Return.
I was super excited Annie got a mention- at least they didn't retcon her out completely. Although that likely had to do with including the FWWM message more than anything else.

I do worry that's all we'll get of her fate on the show. The mention of her as just some girl is very bizarre. Not Norma's sister, not someone Cooper was dating. And certainly hints at someone no longer in TP. Although they didn't say she was dead. Frank would have grown up with Harry and Ed, and would definitely know Norma. Really seems like they erased the sibling connection.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

BEARisonFord wrote: I believe there is a high probability this is simply just a funny scene between Jerry and Ben.
I actually agree with you, but also find it fun to speculate since the similarities in the scenes gives the appearance of possibly being more than coincidental.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

BEARisonFord wrote:
Rhodes wrote:
Ross wrote: She said she wasn't asked- but wishes she would have been.
With how connected she was with the end story I'm not buying it either.

Josie and Chet Desmond I believe are similar as well that they both weren't asked seems fishy to me. Guess we'll see who was right in the end.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:
Rhodes wrote:
With how connected she was with the end story I'm not buying it either.

Josie and Chet Desmond I believe are similar as well that they both weren't asked seems fishy to me. Guess we'll see who was right in the end.
How is she connected in any other way besides getting Cooper into the Lodge? Not to diminish her character, but I think most of you are making a mountain out of a molehill.