Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by N. Needleman »

IIRC the story was that MJA pulled out right before the day of the shoot.

I don't know how many involved him actually going on location vs. cutting to the Red Room, but I think there were a number of Vegas-set scenes where either intercuts or visions of MIKE/Gerard in the Red Room or now the Arm have been used to stand in for what was planned for MJA. Seamlessly for me.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Wow. I must have missed a lot of these spoilers. I wish the thread was still active. The last thing I remember was the rumour we discussed on the main thread.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

Now that's a perfect exemple of what can be a "The Return" episode. There was food for everyone : Twin Peaks on one side, The FBI and Bad Coop on the other, and Dougie in the middle. It was exactly what we call today a "satisfying experience" -- especially with the return of Ashley Judd and the Arms, and the mention of Annie and Audrey.
But unlike many of you here, I didn't find it brilliant though. It felt more like a writer episode than a director episode. More like, in fact, an episode of a TV show than a part of a crazy, 18 hour movie. It was great, but I still prefer Part 1, 3 and 4. Those parts were so bold and esthetic !
Anyway :

- The more conventional pace has a big advantage : even if Part 7 was basically of the same lenght than the previous parts, it felt to me much more longer ! I don't know if I'm alone here, but I swear the episode was going to end when Bad Coop is leaving the prison.

- Dougie fights exactly like Bad Coop in Part 1. If they meet one day it's going to be weird. The cobra will become an ouroboros... :twisted:

- There's something I find a bit disappointing this season : women. It's like Lynch isn't able to film them like he used to. Chrysta Bell is annoying, Watts is boring (even if her scene with the cops is her best yet), and honestly I find Diane's Dern over the top. I know it's Cooper odyssey here, but concerning women, we're far, far, from Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr. or INLAND EMPIRE.
But maybe it will change now that Bad Coop is on the loose. Maybe that the show, like Dougie, was an infant itself, and that we're going to "look" more at women from now on ? Bad Coop sure seems to love them :?

- Dern is great when Diane is questionning Coop though. The "Who are you ?" gave me chills -- best moment of the episode IMO. Very "Fire Walk With Me" indeed. And the "At your house" of Bad Coop reminded me of the same line in Lost Highway (when the Mystery Man is speaking to Bill Pullman). So yeah, Dern is a brilliant actress, no questions asked. But I'm not convinced by how Diane is written. Hoping her back story with Bad Coop will change my mind about it.

I'm wondering now if Part 8 is going to be the follow-up of Part 7, since the previous parts go almost hand in hand. I guess the part will start at the Double R and will end with a concert at the Road House. A bit of Nine Inch Nails will be great to celebrate Bad Coop's escape by the way ! :twisted:
For now :
Part 3 > Part 1 > Part 4 > Part 7 > Part 5 > Part 2 > Part 6.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I wonder why Heather Graham refused to comment on why she is apparently not a part of the new series? NDA?
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

djsunyc wrote:ashley judd really did look exactly like audrey there at the end. uncanny.
Oh wow, for a split second I seriously mistook Beverly for Audrey. Glad I'm not the only one who thought there was a striking resemblance!
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
sErinP

Post by sErinP »

:lol: I read Vanity Fair's article online last night just after part 7 finished. The author thought Diane was so angry because evil Coop sexually assulted her. Also the article mentioned about Doc Hayward's recollection of evil Coop being in ICU that he may have raped an unconscious Audrey. And that Richard Horne could be evil Coop's son. I'm giving Vanity Fair a thumbs down on that one. The issue of Diane could be plausible. I'm not really feeling it though. Evil Coop is still Agent Dale Cooper smart. I just don't see him raping and pillaging those close to him like that. I am so looking forward to the sub plot of Major Briggs! We know Evil Cooper visited him and that he died the next day in a fire at work. His fingerprints are on the dead headless body. I can't wait to see how this works!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

N. Needleman wrote:IIRC the story was that MJA pulled out right before the day of the shoot.

I don't know how many involved him actually going on location vs. cutting to the Red Room, but I think there were a number of Vegas-set scenes where either intercuts or visions of MIKE/Gerard in the Red Room or now the Arm have been used to stand in for what was planned for MJA. Seamlessly for me.
Yep, pretty much seamlessly for me as well. Actually, I think the Arm has just brought it to a new level of weirdness that delights me.

That being said, I think the initial viewership of the show may have been hurt by not having MJA in the promos. His image, maybe even more than Kyle's or Sheryl's, was the singular image that kind of summarized what Twin Peaks was about. This is probably why MJA mistakenly thought he could command a Kyle-like salary to appear in the new series.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
guest315
Roadhouse Member

Post by guest315 »

Last edited by guest315 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

sycamore wrote:Bushnell Mullins is fascinating in a very subtle way. There's not a lot of talk about him in the forum, so I did some research into the big poster on his wall:
Terrific research and intriguing spoiler where you draw your conclusion[s]. I've been wanting to see more of TSHOTP's material figuring into TPS3 and the dots you're connecting among significant dates in history I can appreciate!
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Agent327 wrote:Didn't it bother anybody that Gordon Cole got Bad Coop's sentence wrong?

Bad Coop said "It's yrev very good to see you again old friend", but when Cole asks Tammy to hold out her hand and he goes through the fingers one by one, he says "I'm yrev very happy to see you again old friend".

Am I missing something here? In order for Cole to make any kind of valuable, profound point, wouldn't his attention to detail be extremely important?
I agree with you both in principle and per the nature of Gordon's vocation.
Normally it would bug me.
In this case though, either version still adds up to 10 words which is the point or the particular point he's emphasizing.
I'm prepared for gaffes on occasion even with Lynch. In this same episode: when cutting to the Andy-waiting-for-his-4:30 appointment with the bearded rural dwelling dude: the camera holds a shot of the road and the location, where for a half-second you'll see an insect/ butterfly-ish bug dart off the right side out of view. I noticed it when this setting-setup had earlier preceded Andy's first scene approaching the dude. If a production like TP is going to recycle previously shown footage twice in the same episode, I guess some would call it lazy. You can't miss that insect both times, so it's a question whether or not it matters. I'm surprised it was allowed, and also at the word-disparity you observed. With any quality program worth its salt, I'd call em out on it unrefined story editing and lazy scene-transition choices. Especially with as much time that's been invested into casting, filming and completing something like The Return.
But, there's too many other things that have annoyed me about the show even more, so I'm letting this pass ; )
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

h2nho wrote:I was terrified that something was going to strike down on those three good souls in the morgue. I'm convinced that guy is someone from the Lodge. Definitely the creepiest aspect of the new season for me.
As soon as I saw that figure in the background, approaching like the monster from 'It Follows', I was thinking it was going to kill those guys, so it was a surprise (and amusing, in retrospect) when it just strolled past. I wonder what it 'does'? Is it eavesdropping on conversations about the murder investigation? Is it making sure the investigations are going according to someone's plans? I'm not even sure whether it's evil or good at this stage.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Damn, I so wish they'd have been able to scrape up the dough MJA was asking for back during the (pre)production. Having him in here would've been just dynamite!
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Mario Stein wrote:Somehow this symbol in Bushnell building reminds me an upside down owl cave symbolowl cave symbol.png
Great catch! I'm totally digging these connections~
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Agent Earle wrote:Damn, I so wish they'd have been able to scrape up the dough MJA was asking for back during the (pre)production. Having him in here would've been just dynamite!
I agree.

But I'm also glad he is not being rewarded for his behavior.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

jason976 wrote:Regarding EvilCoop in the hospital. I don't buy the Audrey Horne impregnated theory just yet. I think it's more likely that he went to recover the owl cave ring from the nurse who removed it from Annie's hand (See Fire Walk with Me - The Missing Pieces)
It was odd that Doc Hayward says Coop was there to see Audrey- since Annie was likely there as well. The only reason they would have given this specific info is either because:
A) EvilCoop did father Richard

or

B) They want you to THINK he did
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/