Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

jason976 wrote:Regarding EvilCoop in the hospital. I don't buy the Audrey Horne impregnated theory just yet. I think it's more likely that he went to recover the owl cave ring from the nurse who removed it from Annie's hand (See Fire Walk with Me - The Missing Pieces)
I hope you are right on that one.

So glad to see so much of Albert. His role is so much bigger than I expected.

Diane sure has some attitude. So unexpected from what I had imagined. "Fuck you Tammy" had me in fits. I loved the pages scene. Good old Hawk is on the case. :D
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:The sweeping scene is actually more interesting than it appears. You have to read it metaphorically though and then contrast it with J.M. Renault's dialogue.

The sweeping gives a sense of cleanliness, which is ironically counterpointed by J.M.'s obscenity. By the time the scene is over the place appears clean, but we now realize the Renault's have always owned the place, so it's never really been so, deep down.
Exactly. The languid Roadhouse scene ends with a brutal punctuation which reveals the slimy Renaults still own it, still traffic in underage girls and still go about their same old business. The underside of Twin Peaks is still there. Especially creepy was the ominous final line, which Walter Olkewicz hisses in this animalistic voice: "He owes me for two."

The end tag tripped me out - I could swear it was a reuse of some of the classic Badalamenti suspense music from the original series which begins to trickle in over the old-timey music in the diner.

You can hear it get layered in under the song; I don't know the exact cue but I seem to recall it being used in any number of Windom Earle scenes (like when I think he killed Rusty, though I don't have the episode on right now). It becomes really disturbing, like you're watching the town going about its business as evil is growing closer. Very episode 27.

I've loved the whole thing so far, but this was really wild. I also hope that was Josie in the wood.
Last edited by N. Needleman on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by Pinky »

djsunyc wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:
crash_and_burn wrote:
Maybe the Woodsman is the Log Lady's husband? He died in a fire and he was a lumberjack.

bingo!
or...briggs who also died in a fire.

Except Briggs didn't die in a fire, did he:)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

madeleineferguson wrote:Wow, that was an incredible episode. I can't wait to watch it again.

The barkeep sweeping up the floor was so great. Lynch knows it's satisfying to watch everything get cleaned up, and narratively, it's coming. I love that he acknowledged that for us, it was a real comfort.
That's exactly how I saw it.
Moggerz

Post by Moggerz »

Some weird audio stuff going on in this episode.
As a lot of people already mentioned the credits seem to have another layer of audio underneath the Sleepwalk song...
I couldn't get the phase inverted correctly but did some eq'ing...
http://vocaroo.com/i/s14Tjs4afF36

Also noticed that underneath the "getting out of jail hallway scene" there was some yrev very slowed down audio...
sped it up a bit.
Unsure if it really means something but "something big" is there
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0MhchD4o2q5

hope these links work as Soundcloud deleted my Sleepwalk b/c of copyrights (of course)!
thefifthlizard
Roadhouse Member

Post by thefifthlizard »

This was much more exciting than the last few episodes.
asmahan wrote:AAAAH the spooky disappearing jail guy walking around the police station! That shit was spooky!
Many posters have pointed out resemblence to the man behind Winkies in Mulholland Drive. As a matter of fact, the moment when he walked passed the door reminded me of the MD scene where
Spoiler:
the Cowboy walks past at Adam's party.
Last edited by thefifthlizard on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Cappy wrote:
Ross wrote:Odd that Hawk says there were 4 pages missing from Laura's diary. In the original it was so badly destroyed by Harold I doubt they had any idea what was missing.

Also not sure Leland having them makes sense.
I remember there was a theory that Leland killed Harold and ransacked his apartment for the Secret DIary. I never subscribed to that, but I guess there was some time between Harold's death and the discovery of his body, so Leland could've broke into his apartment after he committed suicide.

I can deal with Leland having the pages... I'm just not sure when he would've had the chance to stash the pages in the police station bathroom. The only time he's back at the station after Harold's suicide is when he goes there under the auspices of "representing" Ben, when Cooper and Truman toss him into an interrogation room. So clearly there was a scene or something that we didn't witness, or something like Maj. Briggs' time jumping happened. Either way I'm okay with Leland taking the pages. I'm just curious where this missing page is. Is it possible Harold mailed it somewhere, or to someone? Perhaps to a Linda?
Apologies all, I'm losing track of the timeline of events... but wouldn't Leland having the pages make sense; weren't the pages ripped out by Bob since he knew the hiding place behind the dresser, and the discovery of the missing pages is what prompted Laura to freak out and take the diary to Harold?
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Wow- this was completely incredible. The best episode of the series so far for me, and for sure one of the episodes that puts the familiar elements in the style of the new show so completely that it will change my viewing of parts 1 - 6.

As I expected, the violent confrontation happened to Dougie and he still hasn't woken up, so I no doubt there will be any sudden reawakening. I didn't mind the Dougie scenes in this episode though because there was so much other good stuff.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

My initial reaction about Briggs' body is that it was actually the body of Briggs' doppelgänger.

I cannot wait to see Betty Briggs!!!
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Snailhead wrote:. Whoever said that this was the first time the show has truly scared them so far, I fully agree with you. Creepy as hell.
I think that I was the one who first brought up this point of the new show not being scary yet.

I hear that some people were really scared for the first time during this scene. Not me though. I loved the scene, but for me it was more like "really cool" than genuinely scary (like the lamps or hallways in Inland Empire were).
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

And yeah, it's gotta be Josie in the wood at the Great Northern. Perhaps her spirit is responding to the return of the key for Room 315? I was completely on the edge of my seat for that entire scene!
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Rhodes wrote:
Snailhead wrote:. Whoever said that this was the first time the show has truly scared them so far, I fully agree with you. Creepy as hell.
I think that I was the one who first brought up this point of the new show not being scary yet.

I hear that some people were really scared for the first time during this scene. Not me though. I loved the scene, but for me it was more like "really cool" than genuinely scary (like the lamps or hallways in Inland Empire were).
I think it'll come on scarier and scarier as we progress.

The figure creeped me out.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

Didn't it bother anybody that Gordon Cole got Bad Coop's sentence wrong?

Bad Coop said "It's yrev very good to see you again old friend", but when Cole asks Tammy to hold out her hand and he goes through the fingers one by one, he says "I'm yrev very happy to see you again old friend".

Am I missing something here? In order for Cole to make any kind of valuable, profound point, wouldn't his attention to detail be extremely important?

If he just goes from fuzzy memory, getting the order of a specific word right corresponding to a finger would just be dumb luck.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Josie is possible, because Ben says "the room Agent Cooper was SHOT in", but it didn't cross my mind until reading it on here. I thought it was just some weird sound from the lodge or spirit realm.

And for DougieCoop - at least it's clearer than ever before that he's NOT a vegetable. :D

How will this go on...?

Here's my take:

I'm sure the FBI at least will search for EvilCoop, maybe there's new "have you seen this man" posters in particular places - someone spots "Dougie" - maybe even one of the witnesses of the assassination attempt -> and Cole/Albert/ Diane already KNOW there's something wrong with the guy they saw in federal prison.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Still think that Part 5 is my favorite so far but Part 7 is very close as well. Loved it so much.

There was a lot of exposition in the Sheriff's Department scenes but I can't complain, they needed to move the plot forward. I'm wondering what that 4th page of Laura's diary contains. Obviously something incredibly crucial. So heartwarming to see Doc Hayward again. Andy's scenes were very good and very puzzling too.

It was wonderful to finally see Ben Horne again and his scene with Beverly was one of the highlights of the series so far. Not sure if it's Josie there, or it's just simply because of the key.

All the Diane scenes were amazing, Laura Dern killed it. The implications of what Bad Coop did to her (and Audrey) really got under my skin. That's reinforced particularly because of Kyle's continuously fantastic performance as the Doppelganger.

The Dougie/Ike/Arm scene was hysterical. "Squeeze his hand off!" :lol:

The Buckhorn subplot was one of my favorites so far, so I really enjoyed those scenes as well. Typical Lynchian creepiness and atmosphere when the burned man appeared into the frame and slowly walked through the corridor. As far as what happened to Major Briggs, the plot thickens even more.

I'm very curious as to when we're going to see William Hastings and the Glass Box again. It's been a while.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.