Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Hockey Mask wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:Ben puts the 315 key (my wife bought me one for Father's Day!) in his pocket. Will see see it later ?
My wife got me one for Father's Day too!
She's definitely a keeper ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Re, the rape theory: Even if DoppelCoop cleaned up after himself well enough that the doctors/nurses/orderlies who were regularly tending to a comatose patient would be oblivious to the fact that she was raped, once the pregnancy became obvious, wouldn't Will come forward about the fact that he saw Coop sneaking around ICU right around the time of conception? Wouldn't he have referenced the pregnancy in the talk with Frank tonight? It seems like most of the townspeople's conversations about Coop express mild resentment about his pulling an Irish goodbye. If Audrey were raped while in a coma at the same time as Coop was seen sneaking around her room, I'm pretty sure the conversation would be a bit different.

As for Diane, MLMT heavily implies that Coop and Diane shared at least one night of intimacy in 1988. I've never particularly loved that revelation, but Mark's brother wrote the book and we've seen a couple of other potential references to that text, so it's possible that the night she's referring to is actually a consensual night she spent with the real Coop before he left for TP.

This show has been so adamantly anti-fan service that the mere mention of the names "Annie Blackburn" and "Harold Smith" feels like a tremendous payoff. Incredible. I hope the casual mention of Annie shuts down all the theories that the inconsistencies in TSHoTP were set up to create some elaborate alternate-universe where Annie never existed. :roll:

All three detectives investigating the car bomb (led by David Koechner) have the last name Fusco. I assume this is just a bizarre L/F touch and not indicative of anything bigger? Then again, the Bing/Riley Lynch thing is weird as hell and hints at some sort of exploration of names/identity crisis.

I have to say, on first viewing, I found the floor sweeping thing absolutely painful, and for the first time I felt myself considering the "Profoundly Disappointed" viewpoint that DKL is actually trolling us (or at least testing the boundaries of what an audience will take before calling "pretentious!"). However, I've been replaying the sequence in my head and giggling. I have a feeling I'm going to be irrationally amused by it on rewatch, now that I know it isn't actually the entire last few minutes of the Part.

I loved everything with Ben. The "hum" scene was so beautifully moody. And Beverly at home was a welcome unexpected glimpse into a new corner of TP. Terrific stuff.

I'm missing the hell out of Hastings/Lillard. When are we going to see him again?!
frompureair wrote:Could Linda be the nurse that took the ring?!?! Now in a wheelchair after facing DoppleCoop?
FWIW, the nurse's nametag in TMP said "B. Roundtree."
Very good thoughts. I also think that the floor sweeping scene is only annoying if you think the part is about to end. I really think, intentionally or not, it's playing off our expectations based on previous parts ending in the roadhouse...then the phone rings and there's something more, and then more, and then the RR! Brilliant way to mess with expectations in the best possible way.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Laura Dern has said that DKL started talking to her about this character before she had any idea that the project was TP, let alone that she was playing Diane. She was also, I think, the first person to give any public hint that this thing was brewing: in very early 2013, she talked about DKL planning a new film project. Given how early he involved her (seemingly before he even approached many original series regulars), I think she's going to continue to have a pretty substantial role.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Re, the rape theory: Even if DoppelCoop cleaned up after himself well enough that the doctors/nurses/orderlies who were regularly tending to a comatose patient would be oblivious to the fact that she was raped, once the pregnancy became obvious, wouldn't Will come forward about the fact that he saw Coop sneaking around ICU right around the time of conception? Wouldn't he have referenced the pregnancy in the talk with Frank tonight? It seems like most of the townspeople's conversations about Coop express mild resentment about his pulling an Irish goodbye. If Audrey were raped while in a coma at the same time as Coop was seen sneaking around her room, I'm pretty sure the conversation would be a bit different.
But if he raped her while comatose, there wouldn't be obvious physical signs (bruises, defence wounds). Not to mention it would have happened close enough to her and JJW having sex that Audrey herself would probably assume it's JJW's kid.
PeteMartell

Post by PeteMartell »

Is the burned, charred man (the same one who we see in the jail cell) possibly the log lady's burned husband? The lumberjack with the long beard we see above the convenience store in FWWM?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Most shocking moment of the night... someone living in Twin Peaks asking "Who's Agent Cooper" and "Who's Laura Palmer". Blasphemy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Several TP townies seem to have retreated to the woods and are living off the wilderness: Jerry, Jacoby, now possibly Will. Wonder how this retreat from society will tie into the season's larger themes.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Fabulous episode! Part 6 is still my favourite to date (I may be alone in feeling that), but this one was really satisfying in a way that the show hasn't been thus far, in connecting directly to the original series and also moving the plot forward at a much brisker pace. I was really pleased with all the straight up exposition - it didn't feel like too much since we've had so little of it to date.

My favourite scenes:

- The charred man walking down the hall. Whoever said that this was the first time the show has truly scared them so far, I fully agree with you. Creepy as hell.
- Beverly and her husband. I loved the subversion there - so far Beverly was being set up as kind of docile and chipper, and so it was very neat to see another side of her. I was impressed with Judd's performacne.
- Diane. Damn, Laura Dern is superb. I hope to see a lot more of her in the parts to come.

One thing that struck me with this one was that it seemed like we're finally seeing a better balance in terms of female agency - the women in this instalment (particularly Diane and Beverly) seemed to have more agency than what we've been seeing so far.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

It looks like the Norma shots were just reused footage from part 5! Notice, that she's not in any of the wide shots. Does this tell us anything about the 1-1-9 footage being reused?
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Something to think about: Cooper/Dougie and Janey-E were recorded by the news. Cooper/Dougie's fingerprints are on the gun. Is he gonna get recognized on television, or picked up on those fingerprints first?
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Esselgee wrote:It looks like the Norma shots were just reused footage from part 5! Notice, that she's not in any of the wide shots. Does this tell us anything about the 1-1-9 footage being reused?
They were a mix of reused/alternate takes of the Norma greeting Becky footage in part 5, same as the 1-1-9 drugged-out mother footage. Lazy editing but I guess it's used as a way to round-out an existing scene or show a character again they didn't have any additional footage of.
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solitude

Post by Solitude »

I was hoping that the shot of the dark woods prior to the final Double R scene would lead to the Log Lady as it did in Parts 1 and 2. Also, about that scene, notice how (as someone proved in Reddit) the entire room changes after that guy asks where Bing is. I think that it is not relevant, but after Gordon acknowledging the YREV word and giving a sort of semi-full explanation about it i can expect anything.
Spoiler:
EDIT: I spoilered the image because of not knowing how to re-size it, yrev very sorry about it.
Last edited by Solitude on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

I'm confused by some of the conclusions people jump to... not every character has to be related or connected, and if they were, it would be a terrible show

- Doc Hayward just said "I thought at the time he might've been there to visit Audrey Horne" - I certainly didn't infer from this that evil coop raped a comatose Audrey conceiving Richard, and don't think for a minute that we as an audience were supposed to. Now that it's mentioned, I wouldn't 100% rule it out given BOB's predilections, but I'd be astonished and disappointed if true; it'd be a terrible, heavy handed plot idea- a clumsy path to a completely unnecessary (and kind of hackneyed) family tie

That said, I'm not averse to a bit of wild theorising myself, so here's my prediction- evil coop was looking for the ring at the hospital, which of course later ended up with Dougie, who he somehow seems to have created

- Josie at the Great Northern? Hmm, it crossed my mind for a second when watching, but again seems incredibly doubtful, and I again hope they don't go down that road. My reading of the hum is that it was probably just a typically Lynch/frost offbeat way of establishing chemistry between Ben and Beverley. We've all probably found ourselves in the same situation, attentively listening to locate some strange hum (last time for me, it turned out to be light bulb)- it's a mundane, everyday mystery, and what Lynch does so imaginatively and effectively is give these little mysteries an implied sense of greater significance- it brings out the childlike sense of wonder in us and we can let our imaginations run. But as Lynch also is well aware this often works best if it's left unspoken or unexplained. Of course, it may turn out to be part of one of the genuinely bigger and more significant mysteries, but I'm not expecting to hear anything again about that hum. Or, It would be funny (and not unsurprising) if next week it was revealed as something completely innocuous.

- I keep reading about Becky's "obvious major parallels" with Laura. She's young, blonde and likes a bit of coke (a lot more moderately than Laura, it seems) but that's literally all we've seen there so far. Without wanting to sound like Leland's stuck record, I think it would be an extremely uninspired plot if they made this character a Laura 2.0, for a number of reasons. Mercifully however, the new TP is not written by fan consensus on a rolling week by week basis...

Ok... other thoughts:

- Good spot on the 4.30, but I'd heavily bet that it's a red herring. I just can't see how it's relevant enough to warrant such a weighty clue, and/or how it would be useful to Cooper, past present or future. Of course, more could be revealed that proves it to be more important than it seems, but I'd be surprised if that clue wasn't being saved for something else later on. If I'm wrong however, that strongly suggests that Cooper will be involved in some form of detective work in Twin Peaks again at some point in the show. Anyway, it looks like the guy Andy was supposed to meet is now toast. I'll be keeping an eye out for the white car that arrived as Andy was leaving the house.

-Go Dougie! You bent like a reed in the wind

- Ike the Spike sucks as a hitman almost as much as he sucks as a character

- I thought the guy at the double R asked for "Billy" and not "Bing" ... edit - rewatched, yeah he probably said bing

- I fear that Diane may not live long enough for her talk with Gordon

- Loving the Briggs mystery

- Loving Gordon's whistling. And like someone else said, my god, DL sure can act

- It remains to be seen when DougieCoop will find himself, but it's looking like he'll be found soon- either through media attention from the failed hit, or somehow through the FBI investigating the ring in Briggs's belly. If the latter, it seems like whoever did kill Briggs wants DougieCooper to be found.

- Laura Dern was excellent, MacLachlan was again excellent. He's f**ing terrifying in that interrogation room. And his eyes were completely dead throughout the much longer scene with the warden
irishlisa

Post by irishlisa »

crash_and_burn wrote:
trismegistus wrote:
12. Lastly, Lynch said in an interview that the man covered in ash in the cell next to Bill Hastings would have later importance and we see him (or at least someone similar) walking in the background of two different scenes. Could it connect to the fire Major Briggs died in?
Maybe the Woodsman is the Log Lady's husband? He died in a fire and he was a lumberjack.
THIS> I thought the man covered in ash is the Log Lady's husband too.

This episode has me reeling - it's hard to take it all in in just one viewing. Also, was that the first time we've heard Laura's theme tune in the scene with Andy?