Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by crash_and_burn »

I think the sketches that look like a ladder and stairs that Coop draws on the claim case files are very reminiscent of the sketch of the map leading to Owl Cave and Glastonbury Grove.

What looks like a ladder looks just like the lines forming the torso of the Giant.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I'm still processing this episode. I'll give it a second watch in a couple of days before I really start to make sense of it. But I do feel compelled to comment on one scene...

Richard Horne running over that kid is equal parts shocking, disgusting, and heart-warming, if heart-warming is even the right term I'm looking for here. On one hand it felt like the kind of cheap vulgar shock value you'd get from a Rob Zombie film, but the prolonged reactions of the onlookers, and especially Carl Rodd, nearly pushed me to the point of tears. Carl Rodd's scenes in this episode were beautiful; he sits in the park and looks at trees, his eyes scanning up the length of them as he witnesses the living energy that moves throughout all living creatures. When Carl sees the child's soul fly up to the power lines, it's no different to him than energy moving from the roots of a tree and up to it's crown. He approaches the grieving mother and tries to comfort her, and in his sad, hopeful reaction attempts to convey that her son is infinite and can never be lost.

I am not a spiritual person, but this whole sequence was strangely powerful. The prolonged reactions of everyone's grief were very reminiscent of the original series. I don't think i've ever seen a scene in a show/movie like this before though. Never before have I seen something so shockingly violent be so emotionally moving in the unique way this scene was. Lynch is doing some kind of rare magic here, and I will be unpacking this one for a very long time.
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

Last post tonight.

I think Red may be the grown up red-haired Tremont/Chalfont grandson.

I think the coin trick was purposefully done to mimic the creamed corn trick.

All in all, I loved this episode.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

I feel like everyone commenting on disturbing shock value of the hit and run scene haven't seen any other movie by David Lynch (maybe minus the Straight Story, unless there's a deleted scene with Richard Farnsworth mowing down some kids on his lawnmower)
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

And it honestly was not nearly as violent as I anticipated. It was shocking, but not that gruesome.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

crash_and_burn wrote:Last post tonight.

I think Red may be the grown up red-haired Tremont/Chalfont grandson.

I think the coin trick was purposefully done to mimic the creamed corn trick.

All in all, I loved this episode.
First thought - yes, I was reminded of the creamed corn trick.
Second thought - No, I don't think it's the grown up Trefont grandson. But there maybe Black Lodge magik afoot.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Would it kill them to develop Shelly in her scenes? She feels like a glorified extra so far. :( And why are the Double R scenes only two minutes long each when we can spend 15 minutes on Dougie? I really dislike that pacing, it doesn't allow me any time to invest in that location or the characters. Will we ever see a part that has more than one scene at the diner? Or a part with more than one scene with Shelly? It's not just the choppiness that bothers me, I get if we go a part without seeing characters. But then to have them only appear once? I mean, at this point, we've seen James and Bobby in one part each for all of two minutes out of six hours. Lawd.

Overall, I didn't love this part, my least favorite of the six, despite the parts I liked a lot, which fall in line with what pretty much everyone else said. Just needed to vent out the above.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Would it kill them to develop Shelly in her scenes? She feels like a glorified extra so far. :( And why are the Double R scenes only two minutes long each when we can spend 15 minutes on Dougie? I really dislike that pacing, it doesn't allow me any time to invest in that location or the characters. Will we ever see a part that has more than one scene at the diner? Or a part with more than one scene with Shelly? It's not just the choppiness that bothers me, I get if we go a part without seeing characters. But then to have them only appear once? I mean, at this point, we've seen James and Bobby in one part each for all of two minutes out of six hours. Lawd.

Overall, I didn't love this part, my least favorite of the six, despite the parts I liked a lot, which fall in line with what pretty much everyone else said. Just needed to vent out the above.
Agreed. The Double R scenes feel like the one from FWWM - that high-angled shot of Shelly and Norma. A lot of the town scenes feel like this. Disconnected.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Jonah wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Would it kill them to develop Shelly in her scenes? She feels like a glorified extra so far. :( And why are the Double R scenes only two minutes long each when we can spend 15 minutes on Dougie? I really dislike that pacing, it doesn't allow me any time to invest in that location or the characters. Will we ever see a part that has more than one scene at the diner? Or a part with more than one scene with Shelly? It's not just the choppiness that bothers me, I get if we go a part without seeing characters. But then to have them only appear once? I mean, at this point, we've seen James and Bobby in one part each for all of two minutes out of six hours. Lawd.

Agreed. The Double R scenes feel like the one from FWWM - that high-angled shot of Shelly and Norma. A lot of the town scenes feel like this. Disconnected.
For sure, particularly at the Double R. I think wider shots from familiar angles from the show would help but having it appear more than once briefly in each part, if that, would also be tremendous for establishing overall familiarity and warmth, since it was such a key locale of the original series. They've done a good job of reestablishing the sheriff's station, despite shooting from some new angles and with new/refurbished rooms. The Double R should've gotten the same respect.

Shelly and Norma should have also appeared consistently and with meaning to bring an anchor to the town scenes.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The sooner Laney-E drives Dougie back to Twin Peaks the better. I hope they pull up at the hotel, check in, then stop by the Double R for coffee and pie!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Jonah wrote:

Aside from not having Cooper back yet that's my biggest and maybe only other complaint about the new show. We're less than three hours away from being half way done with the show and Bobby and Shelly still haven't had a scene together, Shelly has had only throw away lines.
No OG Peaks characters with the exception of those at the police department or maybe Dr. Jacoby have had any semblance of a story line or character arc at all short of having random one off scenes to let us know where their characters are. We've yet to see Big Ed, Audrey, Dr. Hayward or his daughter.

We've seen James, Sarah Palmer, Leland Palmer, Ben Horne, Jerry Horne and Norma for one small scene with little going on and have only seen Nadine in a silent role. And we've only seen Bobby once.

I tottally get this being a new show and I'm not complaining I've mostly enjoyed the ride thus far. I'm just calling it how I see it. I knew there would be other storylines I just wish we could've got some more from the original characters even a small scene with substance from each of them would've been enough for me.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'm glad people are saying this. We are a third of the way in and it feels like we know little about what the residents of Twin Peaks are up to. Audrey, Betty, Ed, one scene with Ben/Jerry. I'm missing these folks. I'm missing the wistful conversations and...the music. There's lots to love, don't get me wrong. But there's a coldness to the way Lynch is telling this story which is both brilliant and baffling.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Didn't like the episode at all.

At.

All.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I think it's a shame that given how many of the actors are/were still alive, how little Lynch has - to date - used them in the revival. Seems like a missed opportunity. I mean, were all the repetitions in the Dougie scenes worth the screentime over these characters? Were all the shots of the little boy and his mother in Vegas? All the shots of random goons? All the stuff with the new Wally character and new Truman's wife? All that stuff in the apartment complex and even with Matthew Lillard? Were all these things really more important?

I know we'll see more of the TP folk in the upcoming episodes, but I doubt we'll see much more of most of them than in FWWM/"Missing Pieces". A few might have meatier parts, but I think this is going to be the way it will go for most of them.

Given how long it took to get this back on the screen and how unique it was for so many of the cast to still be around and willing to reappear, it just seems a shame.

I can sort of see now why there was grumblings among some of the actors - such as Fenn. It must have been difficult to wait so long for a show like this to come back (when it looked like it never would) and then be offered such small roles.

As I said earlier, so be it if this series is "Cooper's Odyssey Back to Twin Peaks", but I hope they renew it for another season after this - and have it all set in the town and make proper use of these actors. My 2 cents!
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

mtsi wrote:Didn't like the episode at all.

At.

All.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Did you like any of the previous parts so far ? Because if you didn't like this part I can't believe you liked the first 5 haha .. I thought this part was the best yet.