Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by N. Needleman »

Soolsma wrote:I think it says

"I keep going over it in my head, trying to understand. Oh Annie.''
And it reads exactly like the original diary. Sigh.

FWIW, I don't find that much of the show cold. There is the typical Lynch distancing and hyperfocus on emotionalism and awkward moments, and there are certainly a number of sequences meant to be deliberately remote, alienating or disturbing (the doppelganger's interrogation or the various Vegas bigwig scenes, to name two), but I generally feel that when the show is in Twin Peaks or in scenes with "Dougie" that it's very warm and humanistic in its way. I thought the little scene with Jeremy Lindholm's character (he used to lurk here - hi!) and Carl in the car just chatting and going about their day was sweet. I love those slices of workaday life, even when both men are clearly a bit more down on their luck than a lot of known TP residents.

I also don't know how much we can say Twin Peaks as a town has gone downhill. So far I think it seems to be existing largely in the kind of uneasy balance it did in the past - there are places full of warmth, light and happiness or music mixed with a dark underside coming from the woods that no one has ever fully conquered or tamed, or come to terms with. In the past that involved One Eyed Jack's, Leo, etc.; here we have Richard Horne and Red lurking on the outskirts of town or in the logging factories. And it trickles down to the kids and the young people, like "little Denny Craig" or Becky and Steven.

What I do think has changed a bit is the increasing modernity moving in - certain North Bend/Snoqualamie? streets used for the town look very banal, like the brief shot outside Mike Nelson's dealership. Or Jacoby out in the woods like a hermit, podcasting. The new breed of cops, isolated from the old guard in their backroom nerve center. Even Nadine has a nice PC rig.
Last edited by N. Needleman on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Am I the only one who found it weird that the sheriff's station seemed to be operating "business as usual" (Frank distributing menial tasks, gossip about Frank's marriage) hours after a small child was killed in a vehicular homicide? I get that scenes in this 18-hour movie were likely shuffled around, but that disparity felt pretty jarring.
I think the fact the shot lingers and ends on Chad and the other officer watching the emergency call come in indicates that's the call to notify of the hit and run.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

counterpaul wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:Your post brings up an interesting point -- why should we assume that Cooper must return to his normal self at all?

Maybe it's about returning and living with differences and damage?

The old Cooper was perhaps a bit too perfect?

But notice how most of us just basically assume that Cooper MUST return whole at some point. Why?
I agree completely. It would be pretty shallow if the darkness of the last 25 years didn't profoundly affect him. He has indeed been damaged, and he will have to find a way to incorporate that as he moves forward. He's unleashed a horrible darkness onto the world, and he's hid himself away as it wrecked untold havoc. He must recon with that. There's no way there won't be lasting consequences.

I do think the show is working toward a, for lack of a better term, "happy" ending. But I think it will be a complex, troubled happy ending. The bug in the robin's mouth, so to speak.
My view differs from what I read above, especially because Season 3 deals with 2 Coopers. The Bad One acts under the spell of BOB and still has the potential of his full cognitive capacity, albeit missing his emotional and spiritual self. The Other One, The Good Coop, operates on intuition and pure luck, which seem to be orchestrated by The One Armed Man from the Red Room. Also, both Coops seem to operate completely fearless. One is unaware of his behaviour and its consequences, the other operates fully rational and thinks he controls the future, e.g. "And now food is coming."

Somehow "reality" is in conflict with this double (id)entity of Cooper, which can not avoid some sort of confrontation in the future to resolving this duality, maybe?

Then. The drugged out mother calling 1 1 9, which we encounter twice, gives me the impression that time is repeating. The world is being caught in a re-occuring flow of events, over and over again the same sort of accidents, disasters, murders, misfortune, etc, etc. As Jacoby so poignantly proclaimed "The same vast global corporate conspiracy. Different day."

Further more. The hit and run accident with the child in Twin Peaks. It wouldn't surprise me that this kid would be Chad's son, but I am a very bad prophet. So, don't hold your breath.

Anyways, according to Kyle Season 3 will have a spectacular ending.
Fireboob

Post by Fireboob »

Dez wrote:Hello everybody,

First time poster here. I'm thoroughly enjoying the show, and have no complaints whatsoever. The aspects many people criticize, especially the lack of substantial action from the old characters, as of now, I see as an essential part of it all. The show has always been about loss. Lost family, lost home, lost harmony, lost ideals -- and now, very upfront, lost time. In the old series, all that loss was wrapped in soothing nostalgia, ranging from saddle shoes to genre tropes. If the general picture feels dishearteningly cold and disconnected now, it's because that is the intended effect. It's how Lynch, a 70 year old man, wants you to feel his sorrow. It spells out that nostalgia is not useful or relevant anymore. A message that couldn't be more relevant today, I would say. It's humanity that has to be rebuilt from scratch. This is what I gather to be the essence and meaning of "The Return", most eloquently put forward by the Dougie storyline. It's quite a messianic stance from Lynch, and for that reason I agree with whomever said that this may turn out to be his magnum opus. The way he disregards all sorts of objectionable aesthetic and narrative impurities (Chrysta Bells's acting included), and keeps moving along with the most elementary blocks of myth, symbolism and archetype, has an almost biblical humbleness about it.

My two cents.

Btw, has anybody else noticed the floating orb in the very first frame of Ep. 6 (by the pointing finger of the monument)?
I got onto it but unsure of its meaning
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Dom834 wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:Call me crazy, but did anyone else find the Albert/Diane exchange a little strange... like there is also something else going on there. She didn't exactly seem that surprised to see him. Am I missing something?
The way Cole put this, asking Albert if he still knew where she lived, it looks like the two characters might very well have a personal back story. An affair? She's Albert's ex wife? She's more agent/analyst than mere secretary and she partnered with Albert to investigate Coop's disappearance back in 90s?

We'll see, but pretty sure these two have history.
I agree. Something is going on there.

I am really pleased to see so much of Albert. To be honest I didn't expect that we would see him that much. Glad to hear him back to his normal self with the Kelly quote. Classic Albert returns. ;)
Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elad Repooc »

I could be wrong about this, but I'm just wondering whether the people who have a major problem with slow scenes are people that don't meditate. We all know that David Lynch is really into meditation. We also know how most people these days can't sit still for more than a few seconds without looking at their phone for another dopamine hit from something quick and easy to be entertained by.

It's possible that Lynch's slow scenes are a perfect opportunity to practice being at peace in situations where nothing dramatic happens for a while.

I say this as someone who meditates a lot and who will happily spend quite a lot of time standing in the woods staring up at the trees as I watch them blow in the breeze. Spending 15 or 20 minutes watching a slow David Lynch scene is not really a problem for me. And I'm sure that these slow scenes make the dramatic scenes all the more dramatic. I had really settled into the slow pace of this episode when suddenly that kid got run over. That felt like I was suddenly grabbed and thrown against a wall. If the whole episode had been at that pace it wouldn't have been anywhere near as powerful.

But if the slow scenes and the Dougie Cooper saga are really just not your thing, that's totally fine, but maybe it means Lynch's style doesn't suit you? There are plenty of other things to watch, so there's no need to watch The Return? We're a 3rd of the way in, so it's obvious this is the style of this whole series. If you're not enjoying it, no need to torture yourself by forcing yourself to sit through it.

Or if you still want to watch the exciting bits, maybe you can skip watching the broadcast version and watch it online and skip through the bits you find boring? I know there's not a perfect solution, but this series is already done, and this is obviously the style of it, so maybe that's just the way it is.

Please excuse me while I go and eat a whole buckload of cheese, then complain that I don't like cheese and ask why can't they make cheese taste more like strawberries...
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Jonah wrote:Random thought - does anyone else think they're waiting to bring Julee Cruise on stage at the Bang Bang Bar for the closing credits of the first episode where Coop returns to Twin Peaks?
i would be 99.99999 certain she is coming back, but when and with what song is anyone's guess.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Soolsma wrote:That's certainly Annie written on that page and also certainly deliberately the most readable. :!:

Remember how a little person was found on the cast list and we were speculating it could be LMFAP. :lol:

Also; Didn't it seem like Diane knew Albert was coming?

i think there is more of a story to Albert and Diane than I ever thought, having viewed that scene. She didnt seem surprised to see him, and i thought both their reactions to seeing one another was suggesting something more.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Dez wrote:Hello everybody,

First time poster here. I'm thoroughly enjoying the show, and have no complaints whatsoever. The aspects many people criticize, especially the lack of substantial action from the old characters, as of now, I see as an essential part of it all. The show has always been about loss. Lost family, lost home, lost harmony, lost ideals -- and now, very upfront, lost time. In the old series, all that loss was wrapped in soothing nostalgia, ranging from saddle shoes to genre tropes. If the general picture feels dishearteningly cold and disconnected now, it's because that is the intended effect. It's how Lynch, a 70 year old man, wants you to feel his sorrow. It spells out that nostalgia is not useful or relevant anymore. A message that couldn't be more relevant today, I would say. It's humanity that has to be rebuilt from scratch. This is what I gather to be the essence and meaning of "The Return", most eloquently put forward by the Dougie storyline. It's quite a messianic stance from Lynch, and for that reason I agree with whomever said that this may turn out to be his magnum opus. The way he disregards all sorts of objectionable aesthetic and narrative impurities (Chrysta Bells's acting included), and keeps moving along with the most elementary blocks of myth, symbolism and archetype, has an almost biblical humbleness about it.

My two cents.

Btw, has anybody else noticed the floating orb in the very first frame of Ep. 6 (by the pointing finger of the monument)?
An excellent take.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

dupe post that I can't delete
Last edited by Metamorphia on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Regarding the 6 pole - could it be the same one. Indicating that Carl sold the land of the original trailer park and it has since been developed?
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

hope Sky Ferreira is playing Linda :lol:
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

crazyscottishguy wrote:
    krishnanspace wrote:Was one of the loan sharks played by Neil Patrick Harris?
    No. That actor also had a role in LOST season 4
    Oh. He looks exactly like Neil Patrick Harris
    krishnanspace
    Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

:mrgreen:
    Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
    Jonah wrote:Random thought - does anyone else think they're waiting to bring Julee Cruise on stage at the Bang Bang Bar for the closing credits of the first episode where Coop returns to Twin Peaks?
    i would be 99.99999 certain she is coming back, but when and with what song is anyone's guess.
    I want her to sing Falling again with Cooper and a certain person sitting in the cruiser watching over the Roadhouse
    mtwentz
    Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Elad Repooc wrote:I could be wrong about this, but I'm just wondering whether the people who have a major problem with slow scenes are people that don't meditate. We all know that David Lynch is really into meditation. We also know how most people these days can't sit still for more than a few seconds without looking at their phone for another dopamine hit from something quick and easy to be entertained by.

It's possible that Lynch's slow scenes are a perfect opportunity to practice being at peace in situations where nothing dramatic happens for a while.

I say this as someone who meditates a lot and who will happily spend quite a lot of time standing in the woods staring up at the trees as I watch them blow in the breeze. Spending 15 or 20 minutes watching a slow David Lynch scene is not really a problem for me. And I'm sure that these slow scenes make the dramatic scenes all the more dramatic. I had really settled into the slow pace of this episode when suddenly that kid got run over. That felt like I was suddenly grabbed and thrown against a wall. If the whole episode had been at that pace it wouldn't have been anywhere near as powerful.

But if the slow scenes and the Dougie Cooper saga are really just not your thing, that's totally fine, but maybe it means Lynch's style doesn't suit you? There are plenty of other things to watch, so there's no need to watch The Return? We're a 3rd of the way in, so it's obvious this is the style of this whole series. If you're not enjoying it, no need to torture yourself by forcing yourself to sit through it.

Or if you still want to watch the exciting bits, maybe you can skip watching the broadcast version and watch it online and skip through the bits you find boring? I know there's not a perfect solution, but this series is already done, and this is obviously the style of it, so maybe that's just the way it is.

Please excuse me while I go and eat a whole buckload of cheese, then complain that I don't like cheese and ask why can't they make cheese taste more like strawberries...
    Personally, I love the pacing. The problem with a lot of modern cinema/T.V. is that it has been made to have the pace of a video game. Don't get me wrong, a lot of those fast paced films are very good films- but there also has to be a niche left over for a scene and a story that takes its time in order to create a different effect.

As far as meditation goes, I do not meditate regularly. However, I do go for long leisurely strolls, so maybe that helps me enjoy the slower pacing.
    F*&^ you Gene Kelly