Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Troubbble »

C-Lee wrote:Just enjoy the ride.
This exactly.

Some WILL probably hate this revival in the end, but I think others may be jumping the gun and prematurely judging something they're actually really gonna love...
federicomiozzo

Post by federicomiozzo »

asquideatingdough wrote:
federicomiozzo wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Btw, there was some discussion above about the location of Deer Meadow: people seem to variously feel it could be anywhere from TP's neighboring town to Oregon! For the record, the Pilot makes clear that Teresa was murdered in the southwestern corner of "this state," i.e., Washington. Twin Peaks, per Coop in the Pilot, is in the northeasterm corner of the state (not that future episodes were super consistent with this). The two towns should be hours from each other. Mark's book seems to oddly make them neighbors. So far, TP:TR leaves this ambiguous (Carl might have merely moved and built the NEW Fat Trout near Twin Peaks), but the electrical pole is puzzling.
THIS TBH I don't get it and can't write get it out of my head.
Yes! I want people to talk about this. Is the 5 digit number on the pole a zip code? What is the purpose of the single 6 on the pole? When I say purpose, I mean the real life purpose, not what it might symbolize.

What puzzles me (drives me nut) is that that's THE pole of FWWM, the No. 6 pole that was "somehow" linked to the No. 7 on the elevator for at the FBI Headquarters where Jeffries happered. Lynch put THAT specific pole (which is the SAME one of FWWM) for a porpouse. What's really puzzling is that if the trailer was moved from Deer Meadow to TP, how could the pole move too?! It is not just a pole it's THE pole. Electricity/Garmombozia eating pole.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Troubbble wrote:
C-Lee wrote:Just enjoy the ride.
This exactly.

Some WILL probably hate this revival in the end, but I think others may be jumping the gun and prematurely judging something they're actually really gonna love...
Reminds me of a certain someone with a green tea latte..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

Seen it and read the topic

- First time I found some of the Dougie parts a bit annoying. THough had to laugh out loud with "Jade gave two rides". The case files revisions could have been half the duration.
- Loved the Red/Richard-scene. I do assume we see things through Richard's eyes, but still.
- Accident was quite unexpected. Carl's part was moving, Richard's drug frenzy worked as well. He's not as menacing as he was in his first scene. Even when he hadn't said a thing yet in the Red-scene he struck me as far more insecure.
- Diane is who'd we expect her to be, but not how we'd expect her to be.
- Liked Hawk's discovery, disliked Chad who has gone from funny cynical to total douchebag in four parts
- Somehow the news of the son's suicide doesn't make Doris better as a character
- The Dwarf Hitman is quite something.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yes, that is a good point. People might be judging the overall picture prematurely. I do agree with that. But some of the episodes might be weaker now than they will be later. For example, lots of people skip the weak episodes in Season 2 or stick with them, and it does really pick up in those last 6. But people still don't like those weak episodes in retrospect, even if they were introducing Windom Earle, etc. Sigh. Maybe this should have all been uploaded at once - or 2 episodes a week.

Anyway, did anyone see what was posted in the Diane thread? A section of the Cooper book "My Life, My Tapes" that described her as a cabaret singer combined with a saint. Based on the brief glimpse we got of her in Episode 6, it looks like someone - Frost, most likely - is keeping continuity here, even down to little things like the books, so I think he probably did rewatch the old series as they were writing it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

I kind of like how Dougie is dragging on. For the past two episodes it's been like watching your favorite sports team get close to scoring a goal. Every time he gets a new hint (agent... case files...) I've been shouting COME ON COOPER, YOU CAN DO IT!
At the same time I obviously want Real Cooper to be in as many episodes as possible.
But I'm not writing the story here.
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
windh
Roadhouse Member

Post by windh »

asmahan wrote: Also did that whole scene not visually recall the scene with Mike's traffic rant in FWWM??

Yep, I got the same feeling.
/windh
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

federicomiozzo wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:
federicomiozzo wrote:
Yes! I want people to talk about this. Is the 5 digit number on the pole a zip code? What is the purpose of the single 6 on the pole? When I say purpose, I mean the real life purpose, not what it might symbolize.

What puzzles me (drives me nut) is that that's THE pole of FWWM, the No. 6 pole that was "somehow" linked to the No. 7 on the elevator for at the FBI Headquarters where Jeffries happered. Lynch put THAT specific pole (which is the SAME one of FWWM) for a porpouse. What's really puzzling is that if the trailer was moved from Deer Meadow to TP, how could the pole move too?! It is not just a pole it's THE pole. Electricity/Garmombozia eating pole.
Exactly! I was trying to figure out if the numbers had something to do with the location of the pole to try to determine whether or not it has been moved.

Maybe it was shown again because the specific pole is an entryway of sorts. Perhaps it hasn't moved but the pole (EDIT: and the actual power lines running through TP) at that intersection is (actually physically) connected to the #6 pole at the former Trout Farm location from FWWM.

Just random thoughts.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Henrys Hair wrote:Loving this season, loved this episode... and yet a few doubts remain - namely that 18 hours might not be enough.

While I don't want everything tied up (in fact, having every aspect neatly tied up would be about the worst possible ending afaik), there are so many plots going on that I'm starting to wonder if there'll be time to return at all to ones that seemed to have more to offer (eg Hastings in his cell, is that it for the glass box?) and whether more of the original cast will get substantial development/plotlines of their own. At the moment, it still feels like the MD series that never was with a few TP cameos. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but also seems a bit of a waste of the returning cast - I don't just want a brief recap of what Shelly, Bobby etc are up to now - I want to spend a bit of time with them too.

Having said all that, last week I was wondering why Naomi Watts was cast in a 2D role that could have been played by anyone, and then this episode she stole the show for me, so who knows what's in store...
Yeah, I was just thinking if James is going to get up the courage to ask out this Renee girl, Lynch better have put the both of them in some more episodes pretty soon!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

garethw wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:A couple of years ago I lost a young friend to a H&R accident.
I'm sorry about the terrible loss of your friend. I lost two childhood friends to car accidents, but not like that.
yaxomoxay wrote:The town has been taken over by pure evil.
It's occurred to me that this may not even be Twin Peaks at all. This might actually be Deer Meadow, that they've sort of converged.
Could the original Fat Trout be somehow another version of a lodge? LIke above the convenience store or the place that Bad Coop goes into in Ep1?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

Troubbble wrote:
Jonah wrote: Lynch isn't above criticism. No artist is. And quite frankly I think there are parts of this - in terms of the acting, the narrative structure, the pacing, the editing, and the humour - that are as off or as bad as weak Season 2. There's also been scenes that have been reused, cuts that have been amateurish, dialogue that has sounded stilted, effects that have been shoddy. And then there's been moments that are promising or even wonderful. So, leaving aside expectations, I think there are valid flaws with this new series - and Lynch's insistence on dolling it out as weekly narrative TV but also saying it's a movie at the same time - that might not work for some people whether or not they loved the original series.
For people taking serious issue with acting or effects, I sometimes wonder how much of David's past work they've actually seen...but to each his own.

When it comes to questioning the pacing, editing, and "narrative structure," though--now we're bordering on impatient and reactionary.

Let's face it: all certain people really care about right now is Dale returning to "normal" and heading back to Twin Peaks. That being the case, I'm sure every scene which fails to deliver on that seems "too long" or "pointless" to them. Maybe when everyone's been satisfied in that department, and has the opportunity to see the ENTIRE story unfold, they will have revised opinions about how well these episodes work.
This.
federicomiozzo

Post by federicomiozzo »

asquideatingdough wrote:
federicomiozzo wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:

Exactly! I was trying to figure out if the numbers had something to do with the location of the pole to try to determine whether or not it has been moved.

Maybe it was shown again because the specific pole is an entryway of sorts. Perhaps it hasn't moved but the pole (EDIT: and the actual power lines running through TP) at that intersection is (actually physically) connected to the #6 pole at the former Trout Farm location from FWWM.

Just random thoughts.
Still it sounds better than nothing!
I want to talk about this come on! the forum subtitle is: "a Twin Peaks and David Lynch Electrical Resource"
I mean ELECTRICAL

THAT'S how important it is :)
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

federicomiozzo wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:
federicomiozzo wrote:

The yellow numbers are defined by the utility. Each utility has a different way of identifying poles. Many have mixed numbers and letters. The use of these yellow numbers is quite standard. This is not a zip/postal code in the real world. Who knows what the yellow numbers are here. Might be a clue.

The "6" is just pure Lynch. It is not uncommon, however, for people to put up their own junk on poles to identify things. Small example: a business may number poles for emergency groupings from a building evac.
polenumbers.JPG
polenumbers.JPG (26.28 KiB) Viewed 7959 times
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Elad Repooc wrote:Great episode. Just when I got settled into the pace of the long, drawn out scenes, a kid gets run over and it all becomes beautifully horrific.

I don't quite get why people are getting tired of Dougie Cooper, though. I'm finding his scenes funny and moving. I almost feel like wanting him to wake up is like wanting to know who killed Laura Palmer. You desperately want it, but then when you get it you realise it means it's all over.

I feel like Dougie Cooper is the Laura Palmer of The Return. If he wakes up half too soon, maybe that would be just as much of a mistake as when Laura Palmer's killer was revealed too soon in Season 2.
It does puzzle me what people think is going to happen the minute Coop becomes 'normal'...

Me, I'm just enjoying the ride!

WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

KyleRickards wrote:
Elad Repooc wrote:Great episode. Just when I got settled into the pace of the long, drawn out scenes, a kid gets run over and it all becomes beautifully horrific.

I don't quite get why people are getting tired of Dougie Cooper, though. I'm finding his scenes funny and moving. I almost feel like wanting him to wake up is like wanting to know who killed Laura Palmer. You desperately want it, but then when you get it you realise it means it's all over.

I feel like Dougie Cooper is the Laura Palmer of The Return. If he wakes up half too soon, maybe that would be just as much of a mistake as when Laura Palmer's killer was revealed too soon in Season 2.
It does puzzle me what people think is going to happen the minute Coop becomes 'normal'...

Me, I'm just enjoying the ride!

Not spend 15 minutes with him being lead to places or directed to sit down or how to write?
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.