Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by garethw »

crazyscottishguy wrote:
BMS242 wrote:
Jonah wrote: It really does feel like a 9 hour show was written and doubled to 18 on set.

At this point, I am definitely of the opinion that it was a mistake to not release two hours each week. This would have allowed for the plot to move forward a little more each week but also maintain Lynch's pace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
THIS!!!
Yeah, I'm starting to think the same.

Parts 1 & 2 have a coherent feel to them, as do 3 & 4, and now it seems 5 & 6 work together as a single unit, too.
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Methedrome »

I am guessing that Hawk did indeed find the missing diary pages.

I would also guess that they were placed by the one-armed man. He was at the train car when Larua was killed and in the stall as well.

I don't think it will ever be literally spelled out who left the pages in the door, however.

It always bugged me that in the original season the clue of "Without chemicals he points" never felt fully resolved. The OAM in the hotely lobby never seemed to have the true intent of the clue resolved.

Perhaps it has now come it its true conclusion.
Last edited by Methedrome on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

mtwentz wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
The way the ratings are going, it would not completely surprise me if they just released all the rest of the episodes at some point. I really hope they don't and I don't expect them to do that, but you never know.
Have there been more ratings numbers released besides the ones for the premiere?
Yes, don't remember the exact numbers. They fell for 3 and 4 as expected (since those episodes had been released) then bumped up a little for episode 5.

I have been assuming that the ratings for 3 and 4 are the absolute bottom, but we'll see.
Oof, bummer. Do you have a link? Were they going off just live numbers or did they include streaming and such?

I also get the vibe Showtime doesn't really care about numbers and know that this is a prestige title that'll bring acclaim and blah blah blah. They're including TP in all its new promos for the network.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

mtwentz wrote:
crazyscottishguy wrote:
BMS242 wrote:

At this point, I am definitely of the opinion that it was a mistake to not release two hours each week. This would have allowed for the plot to move forward a little more each week but also maintain Lynch's pace.

THIS!!!
The way the ratings are going, it would not completely surprise me if they just released all the rest of the episodes at some point. I really hope they don't and I don't expect them to do that, but you never know.
Not likely since Showtime is a monthly subscription service. If anything they are more likely to stretch it out further.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I think we're closer than ever to really get Cooper back. We probably need to wait 2-3 more hours but we're close. MIKE reached out to him and warned him, the Great Northern key will reach Twin Peaks soon and Hawk found something (the diary's missing pages presumably?) that will be important whatever it is. I'm not worried about Cooper recovering. I love the Dougie scenes, it makes sense that his recovery would be slow and it will certainly happen. What I'm worried though, is how he's going to deal with his doppelgänger, that's going to be a tough one.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Lynch knows he is killing us with this method of storytelling.

We're waiting on freakin' snail mail to deliver a key!!!

I love it!
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Good episode, but DougieCoop scenes are honestly getting kinda tiresome to me. Hope we get real Coop soon !

The highlight of the episode for me was Albert's " F**k you Gene Kelly, you moth******er!
RichardHorne

Post by RichardHorne »

Anyone have any thouths about scene with coins? There was only one, but then became two. Another reference to duality of Black Lodge?
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

My 2¢...

Might Red be the now grown "Magician" aka master Chalfont/Tremont ?

....out for a lark of his own...to drum up some pain and suffering?

Unlikely...but he is a magician. Maybe he longs to see...

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

It's the first time I'm really disappointed by the new season. It was by far the weakest part in my opinion, and not only in terms of narrative but in terms of directing. It felt a bit bland and quickly done. But maybe we've been too spoiled with the previous parts...

- First, I disagree with people here saying that Watts scene with Jeremy Davies was good... All the "though housewive" of it was very cliché IMO. Watts is really, really underused, and now I'm starting to believe that her character is not going to reveal something deeper. I also hope it wasn't Davies only scene !

- Wasn't convinced AT ALL by Getty's acting. At one moment I even thought it was deliberately ironic, a parody of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet. What I like, though, it's how his character reminded me of The Phantom in INLAND EMPIRE, especially because of his trick with the coin. It's just a shame that Getty -- who I usually like -- seems so miscast here. But knowing Lynch, I'm guessing time is going to prove me wrong.

- The Diane sequence seems out-of-place. Don't get me wrong : I love the pace of the show, and I wouldn't binge-watching it for anything in the world. So, if we have to forget Albert & Gordon for I don't know how many episodes after Part 4, so be it. But to put this 2 minutes scene in the middle of 2 hours of "something else" is really frustrating. It would have fit better at the end of the part, probably...

- I loved the IDEA of the killer dwarf (especially with the screwdriver, which -- AGAIN -- reminded of INLAND EMPIRE), but like the rest of the episode, it felt quickly done, not as great as what Lynch could have done...

- I'm a big fan of Dougie's storyline, but you have to admit here it lacked the visual brillance and the originality of the previous parts. I was glad though to see his "childish scribbles" since I had wrote here last week that Cooper will have to learn "The Alphabet" sometime or another :D Poor Dougie.

- Loved the hit-and-the run sequence. That's the only thing I really liked in the Part. Plus, it reminded me of the old spoiler about that sequence, which I had completely forgotten. Strangely, it made me even more emotional to see the sequence and to be reminded at the same time of this vague memory of an old description that had got me so intrigued...

Overall, this part felt very much like the second part of Part 5 (a lot of the same themes and songs), or more exactly in fact the tragic side of it. Head and tail ! As Richard Horne said in Part 5 : "I'm gonna laugh when I fuck you, bitch!"... He fucked us indeed. Maybe I would have liked it better if I had seen Parts 5 & 6 back to back..
Last edited by Jacob on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

mtwentz wrote:
crazyscottishguy wrote:
BMS242 wrote:

THIS!!!

wow, are they that bad? Got to give Showtime credit for taking it on, it's a very tough sell.

I've been loving the show so far, but last night was the first time I started to get worried about some of the pacing. I was always more about the paranormal and FBI/Blue Rose aspects of the show, so i've not particularly been missing being in Twin Peaks. It's been much more than I ever thought it could be: i'm over the moon (zing) with the show following the FWWM/Jeffries plotline, the first part of E3 was some of Lynch's best work and the prison interview scene was phenomenal.

I love the Dougie storyline, I can see that it's building up the emotion and power of the moment when Coop will return, and that moment is going to be an absolute belter, but there's no arguing that you could have got very close to the same amount of emotional buildup in half the time, literally by just halving some of the longest shots. They'd still be quite long even after this.

Anyway, the Dougie storyline in itself, i've got no problem with and it really works. But, coupled with the knowledge of some of the story beats that many of us heard about in the spoilers section, and given we're already a third of the way through the series, the fact is that if the pace does not increase substantially pretty soon, it's pretty likely that those spoiler beats were all that was left to happen in the plot (simply because there won't be any running time left for anything more, if the current pace maintains), which feels pretty underwhelming.

I have complete confidence in Lynch, though, it's just a shame that the release template is starting to hinder potential enjoyment of the show. I have almost no doubt that as a whole, it's going to be perfectly executed and it'll look great, but viewed in 55 minute chunks, it's starting to feel unbalanced.

On another topic, would there be anywhere on here where people who watched the scenes being filmed can talk about what they saw/heard , when those scenes have finally aired? I'd really be interested in hearing about what some of you had to say about what you saw, but I think if people wait until the show has finished airing, the impetus to talk about this stuff will be gone.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I can't remember if I heard the hit and run spoiler or not. I can't imagine I missed it since I feel like I've read everything on here but it was a surprise to me. I must have blocked it out. Or maybe just getting older.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

I'll say it again since apparently my post got buried really fast.

RE:Ratings

SHOWTIME DOES NOT CARE ABOUT CABLE RATINGS.

They are a subscriber network that happens to also allow subscriptions through traditional cable packages. Kind of like Netflix, they could not care less about advertising and how many people are seeing those ads, as with cable channels. They care about subscribers. They had their biggest subscription spike the weekend of the Peaks premiere, so I'd say they are satisfied. Also, the ratings you speak of do not count people streaming (even live) through any means that is not through cable. Therefore, Prime viewers, Hulu viewers, Vue viewers, etc. aren't counted. Neither are repeat viewings.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I knew about the hit & run scene. The moment Richard started driving, I knew it was about to happen. Still, it was quite shocking.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

ToriFreak2016 wrote:This is probably the second time I've posted but I just wanted to say I love this season so far. To me it has everything I've hoped for so far. I'm not really bothered by Drool Coop, and I find Janey-E endearing. I came in expecting that this would be different and it is, but so is anything 25 years later. Twin Peaks is busier, the crime is up, etc. The world kept moving. I like that twin peaks did too.
Just my opinion.
Zak
^^ This ^^
-
As above, so below.
-