Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by TheAlien »

crash_and_burn wrote:
Jonah wrote:
I think this entire season represents the ACTUAL test of the Lodge.
Interesting thoughts there :D
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

LateReg wrote:It seems a lot of people are looking at the Richard hit and run as a sign of him being an asshole, but I viewed it more as evil just spilling out into the world. He didn't kill the kid on purpose; that's how murder in Twin Peaks works this season, ie, it just happens accidentally because the evil is out in the world. I also almost viewed it as a tragedy rather than the act of an asshole. There's almost something tragic about Richard that was revealed this episode, I felt.
It's still really soon for me but after seeing more perspective on Richard, I think I agree. He was high off his fucking mind when he his that poor kid. Even though we know that he is capable (and will probably do more) terrible things, this isn't one of those cases, I don't THINK (yet) :shock:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

madeleineferguson wrote:Why did the One Armed Man say "Don't die" to DougieCoop? Was it a warning about the assassin?
Yep, the scary midget guy :oops:
― Austin Osman Spare
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Jonah wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Edited to add - Also, it makes the tease "I know where she drinks" cutting to the Bang Bang Bar at the end of Episode 4 seem clumsy. It seemed to imply she drank at that bar. I know this could be viewed as misdirection, but I think it was clumsy. I think it would've been better to end Episode 4 with the Laura Dern reveal, then cut to the singers imo.

Umm, continuity errors?? :oops:

But ending with the singers playing stuff is pretty much the way episodes end now, so it's not really THAT much of a throw off....
― Austin Osman Spare
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

The Sharon Van Etten song at the end was strangely reminiscent of the Twin Peaks opening theme...the bass part on the verses in particular.
thefifthlizard
Roadhouse Member

Post by thefifthlizard »

So this is the first episode so far without an appearance from BadCoop?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Jonah wrote:It's not so much what fans or actors are owed for me, more curious why creatively Lynch always seems to circle (it almost feels like avoid or just barely check in) with these characters - and now, with this series, the town itself. It seems FWWM took him away from continuing the story and following much of the cast, and the new series is taking him away from the town itself. I get that there might be a big payoff when Coop finally gets back there. But I just wonder why Lynch and Frost didn't want to focus on getting him out of the lodge and back to the town - all the Dougie stuff and Vegas setting seems very convoluted (throw in another doppelCoop and all the other scenes in New York and over the globe) and especially so. It seems like a weird creative choice, almost like they want to get as far away from the town and the people in the town as possible. Sort of like if the show "Friends" was exploring a whole host of new characters in London, Paris, Singapore, and Berlin, and occasionally checking back in to Central Perk for 2 minutes at a time to show us Joey eating a doughnut, then an episode later we see Phoebe having a cup of coffee, then we learn Ross is stuck in London, has forgotten who he is, and is trying to make his way back to the gang, but we have to watch him lollygagging around with coffee for 40 minutes an episode first, interspersed with a series of other vignettes and tangents. Meanwhile, we barely glimpse Chandler through a window, Monica might not even appear, and Rachel has become a talking tree. Yet it's still called "Friends: The Return"!

Forget fan service. In short, I wonder why the creators want to return to "Twin Peaks" but seem so reluctant to spend much time there?
LOL! LOL! And LOL again!
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

As a father of a two year old boy, the hit-and-run scene really winded me and made my eyes mist up, big time. It was very difficult to watch the Mother holding her child like that, screaming. Good lord. Terrific acting there, not so much from the “distraught” onlookers though. It actually made me sigh loudly when it showed them reacting like that. Definitely a bit to skip on the inevitable re-watch, sorry. But that’s the only real negative for me, other than one which has been in (almost) every episode, but I’ll get to that.

I was on the edge of my seat for the whole of this one, which I know is a phrase used for much faster paced shows/films! I was just eager to know what was going to happen next…

- I loved Hawk’s part in the episode, even the rather tenuous link to his heritage.
- Great to see Diane, although my expectations were completely blown apart in terms of her appearance.
- I’m in the same camp as those that also enjoy the DougieCoop scenes. I find it charming in an unusual way, and I’m enjoying seeing him just pinballing around helplessly whilst still making gradual progress. I also have to admit, I laughed at the elevator scene.
- Intrigued by the situation surrounding the dotted paper/killings.
- Naomi Watts was fantastic in this episode, particularly the scene with the hitmen.

I know I’m in the minority here, but I really dislike the Roadhouse scenes that are tacked on at the end. I feel like they cheapen it a little, making it almost like a chat show format, where a different band closes out before the credits roll. Just seems very gimmicky, and I don’t get the old Bang Bang Bar vibe at all, even though a couple of the songs have been pretty good.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Fuck you, Gene Kelly, you motherfucker!!! - I will now always shout this phrase whenever it's raining.

Are we to infer that Diane Evans lives in Seattle? Laura Dern's reveal as Diane was one of the best moments of the new series, I thought. Anyone else notice her nails are all painted different colors?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

A nod to Lost Highway with the envelope at the door.

Interesting that Janey-E makes specific note than there is nothing written on the envelope, then a few shots later, we see that there definitely is.
Akiguchi

Post by Akiguchi »

Hi everyone! Longtime Twin Peaks fan from Finland here. Excuse my bad English.

Did anyone grasp the possible symbolical meaning of the hit-and-run scene where we are not able to control the fate of our lives, even if we make good choices and are generally good people? Carl already wished for death as he said, had been smoking for 75 years and is pretty old already, but he wasn't the one getting hit by a truck: instead it was a seemingly happy and innocent kid playing with his mother. Before the "accident" Carl also saw supreme happiness and joy in that youthful innocence, and a hope that life could go on on it's track after he himself will soon be dead. That was so sad to see. Life isn't always fair, instead it is a complex web of causes and consequences, where you could get struck by an "unfair" streak, even if you wish for otherwise. And some assholess are there to mess up the odds for us.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Thatfabulousalien wrote:
okjose wrote:
wxray wrote:
I haven't compared, but she seemed to stutter in the same place. Also had Evan Williams before she took a drink. When she was passed out, the bottle turned to rum. I chalk that up to getting another bottle and not continuity. But anyway, it seemed to be the same. Will have to review.
Just compared them and it is the exact same footage, FYI.

S03E06
S03E03

It definitely felt strange but knowing that now, is very weird. Do you think there's any reason for this or Lynch is getting lazy with reusing footage? :oops:
I don't think it was laziness, I think they shot one scene, where it was initially placed. Then in post, maybe the editor or Lynch felt playing it again created an ambiance for the scene with the coroners. It creates the appearance as if she does nothing but scream "1-1-9" haha.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

thefifthlizard wrote:So this is the first episode so far without an appearance from BadCoop?
Correct!
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

(Please excuse some of my English mistakes as I'm a native french speaker).

Definitely much more music as the show goes on. It was very well balanced and subtle with some new genious Badalamenti's works.

The hit and run sequence was breathtaking. Harry Dean Stanton's performance was spot on, both heartbreaking and... comforting. The music really added an old fashion Twin Peaks echo to it : even though some of the extras were awkward (I personnally see a theatrical "larger-than-life" Lynch's touch to it), one could feel the same sentiment of a collective drama happening again in Twin Peaks, just like when Maddie died. The focus on the electricty cables at the end of the scene makes it very clear that the dark Black Lodge spirits are once again presiding over what's happening here. Richard Horne may not just an asshole and a troubled kid but also another puppet of bigger forces.

As some here are establishing rankings, I never understood how individually rating episodes of a global coherent work could even make sense. Nobody would get the idea of rating each chapter of a novel. To me, that's even less appropriate with a show that hasn't been conceived or cut as typical TV. Each part has its place in the whole frame, we'll have to wait for the end of the season to determine whether all the pieces fit together or not. I personnally have a good feeling about it : as dark forces are taking over, Twin Peaks will need old Coop to emerge again. He's the key to everything.
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Thoughts on Red having supernatural powers? Or is he just good with his hands and or a coin?
It was from Richard's POV, so I took it to mean the drugs were kicking in.