Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
Pöllö
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:28 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby Pöllö » Mon May 22, 2017 2:28 am

mlsstwrt wrote:Had a very restless few hours sleep. Was dreaming about the original pilot and what I saw last night.

Having slept on it I feel even more disappointed than I did last night. And I suspect that this isn't going to be for me. I was told to expect that it wouldn't be anything like the Twin Peaks I knew and loved, I thought I was prepared for it but I still secretly hoped that this would at least evoke some of the same emotions. But no, not one bit. The whole thing felt to me like it didn't have a soul, it was just empty and flat. I was too confused last night but today I'm not going to equivocate and can say that I flat out hated it.

The whole thing feels so utterly wrong. I thought Gabriel summed it up incredibly well, saying that it had the feel of some cheap telethon. Felt like actors are phoning in performances, like even they don't have any real enthusiasm for this.

But I'm very happy to admit that this just isn't for me, I don't 'get it'. I'm glad for those of you that are loving every second of this. I found it hard to get into Eraserhead (which probably explains a lot). I loved Mulholland Drive and IE for what they were but I never wanted Twin Peaks to be an MD/IE mash up. I wanted it to be Twin Peaks.

I'm going to watch the rest of it of course but I imagine it's going to be fairly psychologically devastating. I just hope it doesn't completely tarnish the original for (up until about Episode 16 at least). I fear that where Little Nicky and Evelyn were unable to taint my memories of everything that was good about the first season and some of the second season, this may succeed.

By the way I definitely don't want to argue with anyone here, I'm not arguing that it was bad, just that I personally hated it.

I'm on the same boat. I love Lynch and Lynchian, but there are many forms of it and I personally don't really like Eraserhead - this was full of it.

I just don't get to point of completely revamping Twin Peaks, you're taking Twin Peaks out of Twin Peaks. He should've just made a new movie if he was in the mood for something different.
The cow jumped over the moon.
sp.agent.dalecooper
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:28 pm

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby sp.agent.dalecooper » Mon May 22, 2017 2:35 am

I loved the scene where the Lodge essentially spits Dale out into the Glass box.

The B&W Chevron/zig zag floor pattern has always made me think of the shifting and disruption of time, direction, and space. But on a single plane. To have the zig zag now also move/shift vertically up and down added a whole new layer of possibility to how the lodge and waiting room can affect the souls stuck there.

To me I loved the amount of stuff that hinted at occur, metaphysics, numerology, atomic and sub atomic imagery, etc.

Without spoilers, I will say that Eps 3-4 were more difficult for me but the first 30 minutes of episode 3 blew my mind.

I love the effects personally. Nothing as cringeworthy to me as Josie in the drawer, swooping owl, and a few other effects I hated in the original series.

TBH, other than both Coopers, the lodge inhabitants, and Hawk most of my biggest problems from the first 4 episodes came from the old returning cast. Some of this may just be age, some could be dialog, and some could be because I just crammed 29 eps and FWWM into the past 10 days and the old look and chemistry is still fresh in my mind.

Looking forward to rewatching all 4 and then picking things back up on June 4 with ep 5.

It was definitely disorienting but I loved the anxiety I had from watching it and having no clue what would happen one second ahead.

I understand and respect those who are having a hard time with it for whatever there reasons may be and do agree that this so far is more of an overall Lynch mood than a Twin Peaks specific mood. Still so much to come though
Metamorphia
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:52 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby Metamorphia » Mon May 22, 2017 2:40 am

Pöllö wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:Had a very restless few hours sleep. Was dreaming about the original pilot and what I saw last night.

Having slept on it I feel even more disappointed than I did last night. And I suspect that this isn't going to be for me. I was told to expect that it wouldn't be anything like the Twin Peaks I knew and loved, I thought I was prepared for it but I still secretly hoped that this would at least evoke some of the same emotions. But no, not one bit. The whole thing felt to me like it didn't have a soul, it was just empty and flat. I was too confused last night but today I'm not going to equivocate and can say that I flat out hated it.

The whole thing feels so utterly wrong. I thought Gabriel summed it up incredibly well, saying that it had the feel of some cheap telethon. Felt like actors are phoning in performances, like even they don't have any real enthusiasm for this.

But I'm very happy to admit that this just isn't for me, I don't 'get it'. I'm glad for those of you that are loving every second of this. I found it hard to get into Eraserhead (which probably explains a lot). I loved Mulholland Drive and IE for what they were but I never wanted Twin Peaks to be an MD/IE mash up. I wanted it to be Twin Peaks.

I'm going to watch the rest of it of course but I imagine it's going to be fairly psychologically devastating. I just hope it doesn't completely tarnish the original for (up until about Episode 16 at least). I fear that where Little Nicky and Evelyn were unable to taint my memories of everything that was good about the first season and some of the second season, this may succeed.

By the way I definitely don't want to argue with anyone here, I'm not arguing that it was bad, just that I personally hated it.

I'm on the same boat. I love Lynch and Lynchian, but there are many forms of it and I personally don't really like Eraserhead - this was full of it.

I just don't get to point of completely revamping Twin Peaks, you're taking Twin Peaks out of Twin Peaks. He should've just made a new movie if he was in the mood for something different.


Do you blame Mark Frost too given he co-wrote it?
Si78
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:03 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby Si78 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:40 am

I utterly loved episode one. The box stuff was incredibly intriguing. I have so very much to say but I'm really too tired. Some was great... some less so. I need time to process.
User avatar
TheAlien
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:01 pm
Location: Mind

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby TheAlien » Mon May 22, 2017 2:45 am

Driftwood wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Wtf was that thing shredding that poor couple? Was it sort of implied that it was good Coop?

I don't think so. it looked like it had a female body and a ... something else head, so maybe it's related to the bodyless woman's head who was found with a different headless corpse? Maybe it was chasing coop? maybe Bad Mr. C had a hand in uh, making it, somehow?


Could be Laura after she appeared to be blasted off to oblivion? :oops:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
User avatar
TheAlien
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:01 pm
Location: Mind

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby TheAlien » Mon May 22, 2017 2:48 am

garethw wrote:
speedbeatz wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:I loved how all these odd creature effects and stuff look straight out of Lynch's paintings and other artworks.

Exactly this. He's making the same type of art that he's been making for the past 10 years, just on a different canvas. I can understand some people feeling like the CGI is "bad"/cheap, but I'm sure the vast majority of it is intentional.


Actually, The Little Tree From Another Place is actually older than that. He's the cover star of Julie Cruise's "The Voice Of Love".


I knew the TFAP looked familiar! That's a brilliant connection!!! :mrgreen:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
User avatar
euclid
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:53 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby euclid » Mon May 22, 2017 2:52 am

Holy cow.

Loved the effects of cooper falling through the floor / floating in the void etc. That was like a moving Lynch painting at times.
User avatar
TheAlien
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:01 pm
Location: Mind

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby TheAlien » Mon May 22, 2017 3:03 am

I love that Lynch isn't relying on nostalgia, he's changed the tone considerably (I see parallels between Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway and Inland Empire, wouldn't it be awesome if he legitimately connected their worlds! outside of speculation), added so many new un-predictable characters and sub-plots. So much to be baffled by, moreso than anything previously in Twin Peaks. It's a good sign that he has huge things in store! :mrgreen:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
mlsstwrt
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby mlsstwrt » Mon May 22, 2017 3:20 am

Metamorphia wrote:
Pöllö wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:Had a very restless few hours sleep. Was dreaming about the original pilot and what I saw last night.

Having slept on it I feel even more disappointed than I did last night. And I suspect that this isn't going to be for me. I was told to expect that it wouldn't be anything like the Twin Peaks I knew and loved, I thought I was prepared for it but I still secretly hoped that this would at least evoke some of the same emotions. But no, not one bit. The whole thing felt to me like it didn't have a soul, it was just empty and flat. I was too confused last night but today I'm not going to equivocate and can say that I flat out hated it.

The whole thing feels so utterly wrong. I thought Gabriel summed it up incredibly well, saying that it had the feel of some cheap telethon. Felt like actors are phoning in performances, like even they don't have any real enthusiasm for this.

But I'm very happy to admit that this just isn't for me, I don't 'get it'. I'm glad for those of you that are loving every second of this. I found it hard to get into Eraserhead (which probably explains a lot). I loved Mulholland Drive and IE for what they were but I never wanted Twin Peaks to be an MD/IE mash up. I wanted it to be Twin Peaks.

I'm going to watch the rest of it of course but I imagine it's going to be fairly psychologically devastating. I just hope it doesn't completely tarnish the original for (up until about Episode 16 at least). I fear that where Little Nicky and Evelyn were unable to taint my memories of everything that was good about the first season and some of the second season, this may succeed.

By the way I definitely don't want to argue with anyone here, I'm not arguing that it was bad, just that I personally hated it.

I'm on the same boat. I love Lynch and Lynchian, but there are many forms of it and I personally don't really like Eraserhead - this was full of it.

I just don't get to point of completely revamping Twin Peaks, you're taking Twin Peaks out of Twin Peaks. He should've just made a new movie if he was in the mood for something different.


Do you blame Mark Frost too given he co-wrote it?


I don't blame anyone, a lot of people here seem to love it. But it's really, really hard for me to see Frost in this. Very confusing.
EwanM
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:03 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby EwanM » Mon May 22, 2017 3:23 am

sp.agent.dalecooper wrote: Without spoilers, I will say that Eps 3-4 were more difficult for me but the first 30 minutes of episode 3 blew my mind.


Only watched Eps 1 & 2 and the first 30 mins of episode 3 so far. Was too tired last night to watch more.
Far too much to process. Can't pass a definitive judgement until we get deeper in (and I've watched it over).
What I will say (and I know this isn't the Ep 3 thread, so will keep this spoiler-free) is that the first half of Ep 3 is, straight off the bat, amongst the best work I've ever seen from Lynch.
Utterly terrifying, alien, disconcerting, surreal and, as you say, mind-blowing.
User avatar
Pöllö
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:28 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby Pöllö » Mon May 22, 2017 3:27 am

Metamorphia wrote:
Pöllö wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:Had a very restless few hours sleep. Was dreaming about the original pilot and what I saw last night.

Having slept on it I feel even more disappointed than I did last night. And I suspect that this isn't going to be for me. I was told to expect that it wouldn't be anything like the Twin Peaks I knew and loved, I thought I was prepared for it but I still secretly hoped that this would at least evoke some of the same emotions. But no, not one bit. The whole thing felt to me like it didn't have a soul, it was just empty and flat. I was too confused last night but today I'm not going to equivocate and can say that I flat out hated it.

The whole thing feels so utterly wrong. I thought Gabriel summed it up incredibly well, saying that it had the feel of some cheap telethon. Felt like actors are phoning in performances, like even they don't have any real enthusiasm for this.

But I'm very happy to admit that this just isn't for me, I don't 'get it'. I'm glad for those of you that are loving every second of this. I found it hard to get into Eraserhead (which probably explains a lot). I loved Mulholland Drive and IE for what they were but I never wanted Twin Peaks to be an MD/IE mash up. I wanted it to be Twin Peaks.

I'm going to watch the rest of it of course but I imagine it's going to be fairly psychologically devastating. I just hope it doesn't completely tarnish the original for (up until about Episode 16 at least). I fear that where Little Nicky and Evelyn were unable to taint my memories of everything that was good about the first season and some of the second season, this may succeed.

By the way I definitely don't want to argue with anyone here, I'm not arguing that it was bad, just that I personally hated it.

I'm on the same boat. I love Lynch and Lynchian, but there are many forms of it and I personally don't really like Eraserhead - this was full of it.

I just don't get to point of completely revamping Twin Peaks, you're taking Twin Peaks out of Twin Peaks. He should've just made a new movie if he was in the mood for something different.


Do you blame Mark Frost too given he co-wrote it?

I'm not seeing any traces of Frost.
The cow jumped over the moon.
mlsstwrt
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby mlsstwrt » Mon May 22, 2017 3:29 am

I also have to say that, while I knew a lot of this would be set outside Twin Peaks, I can now say that I hate that fact. I wanted to give it a chance, to see if it would work, but for me it doesn't at all. I loved being in the world of Twin Peaks, not constantly being pulled out of it.

Anyway that's just me, hope those of you enjoying it continue to do so. Wish I 'got it' as many of you do.
Drammatubero
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:30 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby Drammatubero » Mon May 22, 2017 3:31 am

Am I the only one who was excited by Philip Jeffries' mention? I'd love a Bowie cameo but I don't think he could make it...

Inviato dal mio SM-J500FN utilizzando Tapatalk
Cde.
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:31 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby Cde. » Mon May 22, 2017 3:36 am

I find the literalism complaints odd, given it's all on par with what we got in FWWM (I am the arm and I sound like this, the good Coop is in the black lodge, etc).
Balboa
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:03 am

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Postby Balboa » Mon May 22, 2017 3:46 am

Hi, first post in this forum, months of lurking though.

After watching parts 1 & 2 all i'm going to say is: New York, NEW YORK. :shock: :D

Return to “Parts Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests