Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by Chester Desmond »

twin-b wrote:
Driftwood wrote:I'm kind of surprised at some of the negative reactions from long time twin peaks and lynch fans. seems like people were really expecting season 3 of the abc 1989 tv show even though beforehand everyone here seemed to be saying they knew it was going to be different.
I was expecting more IE/MD/FWWM and would have been fine with that but this isn't even that. This doesn't seem like an advance of Lynch's work to me. It seems like a regression in many ways to his digital video experiments. There's no mood, nothing connecting the various threads musically, visually or otherwise.
Amen.
Hang loose, Houlies
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Chester Desmond wrote: Why was CGI needed for the red room floor and curtains? Every previous red room scene used a real set.
Again, pretty sure this wasn't CG.
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

BEARisonFord wrote:
Chester Desmond wrote: Why was CGI needed for the red room floor and curtains? Every previous red room scene used a real set.
It is, did you not see the floor when Dale Copper walked across it, or how about the floor shifting scene?
Hang loose, Houlies
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Chester Desmond wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:
It is, did you not see the floor when Dale Copper walked across it, or how about the floor shifting scene?
Floor shifting sure, but I don't think the curtains or floor in the normal scenes are.
Cstar84
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cstar84 »

BEARisonFord wrote:
Chester Desmond wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote:
Floor shifting sure, but I don't think the curtains or floor in the normal scenes are.
Agreed. For the most part, I think it was shot on a real set. It just doesn't look as pretty when shot digitally. That's just the fact of the matter. But I actually think
It works well given that the first few episodes are deliberately trying to portray a time that is out of balance.
Cstar84
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cstar84 »

Chester Desmond wrote:
Cstar84 wrote:
Chester Desmond wrote:
I would agree with this opinion, I would bet a lot of those unfilmed ideas from a Mullholland Drive series have found a home in this series.

I like how in every other Lynch production he implies things and let's you come to your own decision on what they mean, this is very literal, not very figurative. He is saying: THIS is what THIS means and not giving us to the option to figure it out on our own.
Trying to take your view seriously, but could you tell us what exactly you think is spelled out so literally? Because I'm not seeing it.
Read the entire thread. Many have said the same and articulated the examples of it being literate much better than I can right now, I am just too upset to do so on a point by point basis, I am trying to forget what I saw to be honest.

So much cringe and cheese. I was, from what David Lynch himself said, prepared for more of the beauty and mastery that was FWWM, this was nowhere near it.
I did read the entire thread. I see the criticism but none of it really addresses what specifically people think is spelled out or literal. The criticism is more about how supposedly awful the effects or editing are (even though these are very much in keeping with the last several Lynch films but particularly IE).
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Complaints about over literalism are somewhat fair, but, lest we forget, in FWWM they literally at one point have the subtitle; Garmonbozia (pain and suffering). Literally spelling it out. Or how about Annie waking up next to Laura and saying: "The Good Dale is in the Black Lodge".

So, again, fair to criticize, but, it was present in the original series (obviously in Season 2 with stuff like the .. Owl Cave map, Windom Earle's exposition, Hawk's speech), and FWWM.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Ok, just finished parts 1&2. Holy shit, so much to process. :shock: Overall, I'm very intrigued and excited and I can't wait too see more. There's no verdict yet, I need to watch all 18 hours at least 2-3 times before I'm sure how exactly I feel about this. I understand why some people might be disappointed but I don't see any reason for such strong feelings. At least give it some time to progress before you come to definitive conclusions.

Some random thoughts:

-Great Rancho Rosa logo.
-The opening scene with the Giant is incredible.
-I really like the pacing and the mood, it feels very Mulholland Dr.
-The lack of music was hard to get used to but as soon as Dark Mood Woods started I literally jumped from my chair!
-Didn't have any issue with the acting, it feels like typical Lynchian deadpan acting.
-I pretty much loved all the Doppelgänger scenes. Kyle is amazing (He looks like Anton Chigurh, lol).
-Loved that they mentioned Major Briggs and Phillip Jeffries, very intriguing.
-I'm a fan of bth the NYC and South Dakota scenes. The box is a very intriguing concept to me. Matthew Lillard was amazing. What the hell was that thing in the cell!? :lol:
-The Vegas scene felt out of place but based on the actors that are supposed to appear there, I think the Vegas stuff will be highlights.
-The Red Room stuff is by far my favorite part of this. Genuinely baffled from the negativity. It was something that needed to be explored deeper and that's what L&F seem to be doing. The VFX wasn't always perfect but it was fine for the most part.
-Even though the FUCK YOU to MJA was glorious, I did feel a bit sad thinking how much more satisfying those scenes would be with LMFAP in them. Also, I didn't like Mike's exposition on the evolution of The Arm. I'll get used to it, though.
-The Sherriff's department scenes were ace. Andy & Lucy are great, can't wait to see their child. Loved the connection between Margaret and Hawk. Coulson's appearance made me cry. :cry:
-One Truman is sick, the other is fishing. We'll we see Harry at some point?
-The Roadhouse scene was amazing. We'll probably see different bands in every scene. Some interesting things are being set up for James, Shelly etc.
-I smiled so hard after the big FUCK YOU to the James haters! :lol:
-Really great to see all the Palmers that soon.
-There are some out of place scenes (Jacoby, Hornes) but I guess it's because of the structure of the script. I think this will be improved during the 1 hour parts.
-Dedicated to the memory of Frank Silva & Catherine Coulson. :cry:
Last edited by Panapaok on Mon May 22, 2017 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Going to watch the two hours again then do 3 and 4, hopefully my opinion will shift.

Just so many things I'm not keen on. The CGI for instance - yes, it's clearly inspired by Lynch's paintings/aesthetics and isn't meant to look totally 'real' (much like as things in Eraserhead are clearly fake) - but there's a huge difference between practical and digital effects. A real tree made out of clay and stop motioned would look incredible (even though it would still not look like a real thing); a digital one just doesn't.

This is one of the things I was worried about when I heard Lynch was going down the CG route. Remember that incredible scene in Lost Highway where Bill Pullman morphs into Getty? And it's done completely practically with make up, light and optical image warping?

If that scene happened now in Twin Peaks S3 it would just be done on the computer in a horribly obvious way like the Laura head of light/black thing in the box.

In a way I got real Lost vibes from this, which is not good. Smoke Monster, on the nose exposition, mix of sci fi on the periphery.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Ok, I nearly hated these episodes at first, as I've written here.
Then I watched episode 3 which was great.
I then showed parts of these two episodes to my girlfriend, trying to show how it was not that good.
We watched it by skipping parts and fast forwarding and suddenly it felt much better. Weird.
Josh

Post by Josh »

More Mulholland Drive than Mulholland Drive. Just not sure how that works in the context of TP. Some really intriguing bits but some scenes just seemed shoehorned in which didn't help the flow at all.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Josh wrote:More Mulholland Drive than Mulholland Drive. Just not sure how that works in the context of TP. Some really intriguing bits but some scenes just seemed shoehorned in which didn't help the flow at all.
This is not Mulholland Drive. This is a straight up mesh of Eraserhead and Inland Empire.
The cow jumped over the moon.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

HOLY MOTHERFUCKING FUCKING FUCKING SHIt, WOW, MY FUCKING WTF, WOW!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Had a very restless few hours sleep. Was dreaming about the original pilot and what I saw last night.

Having slept on it I feel even more disappointed than I did last night. And I suspect that this isn't going to be for me. I was told to expect that it wouldn't be anything like the Twin Peaks I knew and loved, I thought I was prepared for it but I still secretly hoped that this would at least evoke some of the same emotions. But no, not one bit. The whole thing felt to me like it didn't have a soul, it was just empty and flat. I was too confused last night but today I'm not going to equivocate and can say that I flat out hated it.

The whole thing feels so utterly wrong. I thought Gabriel summed it up incredibly well, saying that it had the feel of some cheap telethon. Felt like actors are phoning in performances, like even they don't have any real enthusiasm for this.

But I'm very happy to admit that this just isn't for me, I don't 'get it'. I'm glad for those of you that are loving every second of this. I found it hard to get into Eraserhead (which probably explains a lot). I loved Mulholland Drive and IE for what they were but I never wanted Twin Peaks to be an MD/IE mash up. I wanted it to be Twin Peaks.

I'm going to watch the rest of it of course but I imagine it's going to be fairly psychologically devastating. I just hope it doesn't completely tarnish the original for (up until about Episode 16 at least). I fear that where Little Nicky and Evelyn were unable to taint my memories of everything that was good about the first season and some of the second season, this may succeed.

By the way I definitely don't want to argue with anyone here, I'm not arguing that it was bad, just that I personally hated it.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

N. Needleman wrote:I don't know how anyone gets 'predictable and uninspired' from that. Y'all predicted that shit? I didn't!

:lol:

The only thing you can predict from those two hours is that you won't be able to predict anything :lol: :lol:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare