Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Of the returning characters, Albert has felt the most "off"' to me this go-round (besides Coop, which is obviously intentional). The few quips they give him have landed with a thud. It's disappointing, because I was so excited that Ferrer got to revisit the role. And I don't think this is entirely because of Ferrer's age/illness: it strikes me as more a writing and direction issue/choice. The slower/less pithy delivery is obviously a conscious choice by DKL to fit the pacing of the show, which overall I like a great deal, but I do think Albert's character feels a bit neutered in trying to fit him into that tone. And stuff like the "valium" line is just not as funny as whatever Harley Peyton might have come up with for that moment back in the day. Albert's character is the one place I find myself missing the old collaborators.

That said, Albert (like all of us) has doubtlessly aged and evolved over 25 years, and is clearly feeling guilt relating to some of his actions. DKL's comments in the EW interview give me hope that we're going to see Albert/Ferrer really shine, perhaps in a more emotional context than we're expecting.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Albert is where I am especially missing Peyton. No one writes better dialogue in Peaks than him. I wish they had brought him in just to really put the extra snap in the one liners. Alberts "what, no cheese and crackers?" Is more huh? than a home run. I thought Deputy Chad had the closest to Peyton's breezy ease harkening back to Preston Sturges and Lubitsch's in the first season.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Touchstone wrote:
LateReg wrote:In The Missing pieces they show Coop lie down on the floor after smashing his head in the mirror. I'm sure Truman and Hayward just thought he was out of sorts and slipped and wouldn't have thought he was possessed.
I guess that might be enough for him to get away from them. But the maniacal laughter? And obsessive questioning? Truman at least would have had to suspect. I think he had to have done some sort of vanishing act pretty quick for them not to have figured it out.
Not to mention there's no way one could see that kind of Coop's injury and a smashed mirror and connect it to a slippage, for F's sake... Slipping and cutting his forehead on a rim of the bathtub, for instance - that I could see. But slipping and crashing headfirst into a mirror with such force (and with a sink in the way to boot) - no way!
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Agent Earle wrote:
Touchstone wrote:
LateReg wrote:In The Missing pieces they show Coop lie down on the floor after smashing his head in the mirror. I'm sure Truman and Hayward just thought he was out of sorts and slipped and wouldn't have thought he was possessed.
I guess that might be enough for him to get away from them. But the maniacal laughter? And obsessive questioning? Truman at least would have had to suspect. I think he had to have done some sort of vanishing act pretty quick for them not to have figured it out.
Not to mention there's no way one could see that kind of Coop's injury and a smashed mirror and connect it to a slippage, for F's sake... Slipping and cutting his forehead on a rim of the bathtub, for instance - that I could see. But slipping and crashing headfirst into a mirror with such force (and with a sink in the way to boot) - no way!
In a world were murders are solved by throwing stones at a bottle, that doesn't seem too far fetched ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Specialagentjeffries

Post by Specialagentjeffries »

À

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Of the returning characters, Albert has felt the most "off"' to me this go-round (besides Coop, which is obviously intentional). The few quips they give him have landed with a thud. It's disappointing, because I was so excited that Ferrer got to revisit the role. And I don't think this is entirely because of Ferrer's age/illness: it strikes me as more a writing and direction issue/choice. The slower/less pithy delivery is obviously a conscious choice by DKL to fit the pacing of the show, which overall I like a great deal, but I do think Albert's character feels a bit neutered in trying to fit him into that tone. And stuff like the "valium" line is just not as funny as whatever Harley Peyton might have come up with for that moment back in the day. Albert's character is the one place I find myself missing the old collaborators.

That said, Albert (like all of us) has doubtlessly aged and evolved over 25 years, and is clearly feeling guilt relating to some of his actions. DKL's comments in the EW interview give me hope that we're going to see Albert/Ferrer really shine, perhaps in a more emotional context than we're expecting.
Agreed somewhat, though the "carsick" line and his quip about eating locally were both good moments.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

On the music - which I'm also missing - I half wondered it's intentional to keep everything quite quiet, until Coop finally returns to Twin Peaks. It's extremely difficult for me to imagine that there won't be a moment of real return, and even more difficult to imagine that it wouldn't require a return to music in the air.
Elric99
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elric99 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Geeky OCD credits question! So, Sheryl has been credited in every Part despite only having new material in Part 2. Part 1 has the reused Episode 29 footage, Part 4 has the old homecoming photo featured prominently. As far as I can tell, she doesn't appear at all in Part 3, aside from her superimposed photo in the main title. Am I correct in this? I guess she'll just be credited every episode because her face is in the main title?

So far, Hawk has been the only character besides Coop to "truly" appear in all the Parts. I hope he maintains that record.
Interesting question, I don't know the answer, but I also have a credits question: do the "rules" also require that whoever bad Coop was talking to on his radio (who turned out to not be Phillip Jeffries) be credited? If so, then does it follow who he was talking to is definitely one of the characters in that episode's credits?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Elric99 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Geeky OCD credits question! So, Sheryl has been credited in every Part despite only having new material in Part 2. Part 1 has the reused Episode 29 footage, Part 4 has the old homecoming photo featured prominently. As far as I can tell, she doesn't appear at all in Part 3, aside from her superimposed photo in the main title. Am I correct in this? I guess she'll just be credited every episode because her face is in the main title?

So far, Hawk has been the only character besides Coop to "truly" appear in all the Parts. I hope he maintains that record.
Interesting question, I don't know the answer, but I also have a credits question: do the "rules" also require that whoever bad Coop was talking to on his radio (who turned out to not be Phillip Jeffries) be credited? If so, then does it follow who he was talking to is definitely one of the characters in that episode's credits?
Nope! Actors can always waive credit (e.g., to preserve secrey), and actors who appear in voice only sometimes aren't credited (this happened with Sarah in at least one episode of the original, where she is heard yelling from offscreen).
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I do think Albert's dialogue could be sharper, but I also think it hasn't really been the time for that thus far. It still feels like Albert to me, albeit older and wearier. We'll see how it develops.

As for the dialogue, while I wouldn't have minded Peyton and Engels being involved most of my worries were eased by the Horne brothers scene, which IMO is straight out of their original banter. Perfect.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:I do think Albert's dialogue could be sharper, but I also think it hasn't really been the time for that thus far. It still feels like Albert to me, albeit older and wearier. We'll see how it develops.

As for the dialogue, while I wouldn't have minded Peyton and Engels being involved most of my worries were eased by the Horne brothers scene, which IMO is straight out of their original banter. Perfect.
Agree 100%. The Horne brothers scene felt like the most overtly Frostian thing in the show so far, in terms of that snappy Frost/Peyton style of dialogue.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Also agree. I have to stress I am over the moon so far with what we've seen (even without an Audrey appearance)!

These are all just nitpicks... Because well, it's what we do. Twin NitPicks.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

The Third part for me, is one of the better things that i have seen in tv!!! Beautiful!! Incredible!!
The travel of cooper to other dimensión is fantastic!! The sea, the woman, the machine...

And the Fourth part, also incredible!!!

The conversation between gordon and bad cooper is very very good, and very strange also. The bad cooper say the same sentence two times and also Albert and Jeffries.

Incredible!! :D :D :D
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

The machine can travel apart of to other dimensión also travel by the time and the space??
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Harry S. Truman wrote:The Third part for me, is one of the better things that i have seen in tv!!! Beautiful!! Incredible!!
The travel of cooper to other dimensión is fantastic!! The sea, the woman, the machine...

And the Fourth part, also incredible!!!

The conversation between gordon and bad cooper is very very good, and very strange also. The bad cooper say the same sentence two times and also Albert and Jeffries.

Incredible!! :D :D :D
Harry, you're alright.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge