Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by krishnanspace »

Also after regaining his memory, first thing Cooper should do is find how's Annie
timgerdes

Post by timgerdes »

WindUpBird wrote:Regarding the FBI badge, I'm almost certain that you see a flash of it dropping to the floor immediately in the wake of Coop's shoes, but it's seriously blink and miss it and I'm not 100% sure I'm not just seeing things.

I'm also curious as to when Cooper changed his shirt (from blue to white) between episode 29 and S3...
I've always been curious what happened to his overcoat as he entered the Black Lodge in Episode 29.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

In my opinion BOB doesn't need to control BadCoop. Bob wants garmobonzia, fear and pain.
I think bad coop is so clever to have found a way to "control" BOB, or at least to find an agreement with him.
Bob does not control him and Bad Coop commits every possible crime to feed his own appetite and BOB's.

Because Bob must me inside Bad Coop in some way, they have to explain the end of season 2. And also I guess Badcoop is dressed like BoB would also. And also his hair are like bob would want.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

krishnanspace wrote:Also after regaining his memory, first thing Cooper should do is find how's Annie
And he'll be crushed if he finds out Bad Coop killed her in the intervening years...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Normonaut wrote:Yes the lack of emorion in Badcoop is what makes me think BOB is either not there, or he's suppressed completely. The only thing that makes me think Badcoop even has BOB is "and I will be with BOB again"
Maybe the existence of Bob is what gives people the pleasure angle in different immoral acts.
People getting pleasure from doing something will want to do it again because of that pleasure.

I wonder if Bob has left Evil Cooper, and now Evil Cooper has just the will to do bad things but without the ability to get pleasure from it.
People who have been "with Bob" and gotten the pleasure from whatever they were doing got used to getting that pleasure.
And now that the pleasure isn't there anymore, they continue doing what they did out of habit and out of wanting to feel the exciting pleasure again.

I personally didn't like Evil Coop's cold way of just killing by shooting people. There is no "personal contact" with the victim when the moment of death comes from a bullet, and sometimes even from far away. It just didn't feel like what we had previously learned about Bob's ways to kill. It was way too emotionless. There just wasn't any pleasure in the killing. There wasn't a feeling of Bob smiling and gesturing "come on" with his fingers to a cornered woman who is fearing for her life. That was something I was quite disappointed in when watching the Evil Coop scenes.

However, it might be a way to show how addictions and bad habits work.
People with addictions and bad habits might at some point just go through the motions with whatever the addiction is. The old pleasure is gone, but the habit stays.
And even when one is being cured from the addiction and the old bad habits are naturally starting to feel pleasureless and something the person doesn't quite want to do anymore, the person might be angry and frustrated because he/she might be missing the pleasure that once was there. And then they are doing the old habit trying to find the old sense of pleasure. And when it is not there, it frustrates and might even make one angry. That could happen with alcohol, with drugs, with violence, with cigarettes, with sex, with sugar, with everything. People with old bad habits and addictions longing for the pleasure once felt would be the same thing as people longing for being with Bob again.

If Bad Coop is intended to be something like that it would be great. But if there's nothing like that with the character and if Bob is still inside him, but he just acts cold with no deeper reasons and kills with guns because of, say, coolness or out of convenience, I will stay very disappointed with the character what comes to his way of killing.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Cappy wrote:I like the idea that Leland felt guilty for his actions, and on some deep subconscious level he wanted to be caught so he could stop his crimes. Spelling out BOB's name (or ROBERT) in such a roundabout fashion could be one way of doing that. Even if the authorities didn't realize what the letters stood for, they would still recognize them as part of a MO and investigate further.
Yes, exactly. It seems incredibly clear that Leland desperately wanted to be caught. Just look at him weaving around on the road in Episode 15, and then leading Coop right to Maddy's body! His internal battle is beautifully illustrated in that scene as he simultaneously is hoping that Coop will check out what's really in his golf bag and is ready to clobber him with the club when he does. I've always read the end of that scene as Leland being far more disappointed than relieved when Coop gets called away. Leland is defined as a character by this internal battle.

Cooper, and by extension COOPER, is a very different character. I think it's a big mistake to read BOB as a puppet-master. That is not the dramatic role he plays. BOB is the very darkest side of whoever is suffering with him. Leland's BOB, Laura's BOB, and Coop's BOB are distinct. Coop is damaged in very different ways than Leland was and so BOB manifests in COOPER differently.

And I absolutely do see Coop in COOPER. A key scene is when he begins to intuit what Ray is up to from talking to Darya. "This is quite an interesting thing to think about. A game begins." As much as it breaks my heart, that is Coop--it's a twisted inversion of Coop, but it's Coop.

I think a productive way to think and talk about COOPER is not to compare him to the BOB we saw with Leland (that was a dark, twisted inversion of Leland Palmer), but instead to think about who Coop is and what the darkest possible negative of him would be. He's deeply intuitive in his thinking but methodical in his actions. He's smart. He's very good at reading people. But where Coop is primarily warm, COOPER is cold. And, frighteningly, where Coop's fundamental goodwill towards humanity can make him miss things sometimes, COOPER will have no such Achilles Heel.
kornishpyxee
Roadhouse Member

Post by kornishpyxee »

wxray wrote:THE GLASS BOX

I think that because the box is so damn mysterious, it is not getting enough of our attention.

Here's my take. I think the theory of Bad Coop/Mr. C being the rich dude is on the right track. Mr. C probably made money in an underhanded way that we may not be privy to (pick the right stocks?). I doubt it was just slot machines. Bad Coop knows he has a 25 year time limit, and worked to find a way to deal with good Coop when he comes back, and annihilate him. Through his connections, he found the right researchers and occultists to set up the "experiment."

The experiment worked, kind of. Coop was supposed to just drop back into Glastonbury Grove, but The Experiment redirected him to the trap. The box is not just an observation platform, it is a trap. We see the trapping occur when the box goes through this weird set of back and forth, multidimensional contortions.

But there's a problem. The Experiment is imperfect, because the good spirits of The Lodge are working against it. We see this with Naido. Coop is trapped and this is represented by the Mauve scene. Notice the balcony he drops on is a box. It is essentially The Experiment in the Lodge Dimension. Coop sees Outlet 15 turn on and starts to go for it. Don't do it Coop! Naido stops him. Outlet 15 would have connected him with whatever we saw slash Tracey and Sam (The Slasher) and Good Coop would have been annihilated. That's plan A for Mr. C: get Coop connected to The Slasher while in the Lodge Dimension and annihilate him, setting Mr. C free. But Naido sacrificed herself to save Coop from this fate.

Meanwhile, Mr. C knows that the electrical system is poor and unreliable (no grounding!) and has a backup plan B. Plan B consists of finding the outlet from 3, and intercepting Good Coop in our dimension. This is messier than taking care of him in The Lodge dimension. This shouldn't happen! (Non-Exist-Ent!) So, Mr. C knows where outlet 3 is (Vegas) and is working with people in the know to direct him to some sort of ending that works for Mr. C. I don't think just killing Good Coop works. There's something else that has to happen to reliably get the correct Cooper to survive, and we're going to see this played out. Jane-Y and Sonny Jim are supposed to be working on the good side of The Lodge, but she's in the process of being corrupted by the Fischler character to work for Mr. C.

Good Coop, please be careful of Jane-Y!
This is an excellent theory.

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
The next time you see me it won't be me.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Did I see an odd hooded homeless person in Rancho Rosa?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Did I see an odd hooded homeless person in Rancho Rosa?
Yup yup... It reminded me of the dweller on the threshold figure from season 2. That or an errant jawa perhaps!
sugarhigh
Roadhouse Member

Post by sugarhigh »

Ranco Rosa lady.jpg
Ranco Rosa lady.jpg (54.45 KiB) Viewed 9122 times
During the original airing I thought it was the hooded figure from the spoiler pic w/ Kyle standing near the yellow Jeep....
A salamander spit donuts.
bookkeeper

Post by bookkeeper »

apologies if this was already covered....

in the blue scene with Albert and Gordon..

GORDON: Did you talk to Cooper?

ALBERT: No.

GORDON: What information did they want?

The they in this statement puzzles me. If Phillip Jeffries was the one calling, since Albert just said he didn't talk to Coop why doesn't Gordon say, "What information did he [Phillip] want?" Is the they implying that they knew that Phillip and Cooper were "off the radar" together and Phillip was calling Albert and saying something along the lines of "Hey Cooper asked me to ask you for x?" Now part of me wants to think that the "they" implies that Gordon knows about the lodge spirits and the they in this case is Gordon asking "Why would the lodge spirits want to know that piece of information?"...

There's also that bit where after he sort of scolds Albert he looks off to the side and there's a subtle high pitched noise for a few seconds before he looks back at Albert.

All in all one of my favorite scenes thus far. RIP Miguel.

/BKPR
Elric99
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elric99 »

I think it became a "they"-type situation in the interview scene just prior - bad Coop says he had been working with/sending messages to Jeffries. So now in the blue scene Cole is rapidly putting together the pieces (my interpretation of the high pitched noise is it is simply there to accentuate some rapid thinking by Cole, and then his mind comes to a conclusion when the sound disappears).
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

On the question of BOB and Cooper, it seems like a good time to repost these two quotes from the book Lynch on Lynch, which is drawn from a series of interviews that were conducted from 1993-1996:
INTERVIEWER: So, was Cooper occupied by BOB in the script before you changed it?

LYNCH: No, but Coop wasn’t occupied by BOB. Part of him was. There are two Coops in there, and the one that came out was, you know, with BOB.
INTERVIEWER: Why was Cooper possessed by Bob at the end? It seems like he’s lost it.

LYNCH: Well the thing is he hasn’t been possessed. It’s the doppelgänger thing, the idea of two sides to everyone, he’s really up against himself.
BOB_Coopelganger.jpg
BOB_Coopelganger.jpg (54.8 KiB) Viewed 8996 times
Last edited by Jasper on Wed May 31, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Also after regaining his memory, first thing Cooper should do is find how's Annie
And he'll be crushed if he finds out Bad Coop killed her in the intervening years...
She is definitely dead. If she was alive she would have told hawk or anyone what happened to Cooper. Also after the final episode shouldn't Dr Hayward and Harry Truman know something is wrong with Cooper after he came from the red room?
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but in the scene with the drugged-out mother and her son there is a red balloon on the floor. Did this boy go to Sonny Jim's birthday party? There were a lot of balloons in Dougie's house from his son's birthday party. Most of them were still in the air but some of them were no longer floating. Maybe this boy got the balloon from Sonny Jim's party.

Also, if Dougie was missing for 3 days wouldn't his wife had called the police? Or was this something that wasn't that unusual for him?