Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

indyit wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Judge Giant wrote:I honestly haven't laughed as much as I did during the Jacoby 'Dr Amp' scene for a long time. Forget Wally Brando, this is the shit.

Woah. Unintentional pun.
That went into territory I never thought Lynch would go. I think it has Frost's fingerprints all over it, given his Twitter feed.
I think given the amount of words alone it's nearly guaranteed to be Frost. Lynch doesn't do more than a few sentences if he can help it
I think you're oversimplifying a bit. Laura Dern is a real chatterbox in the IE "confession" scenes. But yeh, the writing style (political and having fun with conspiracy theories) has Mark's pawprints all over. However, the performance and presentation are pure Lynch (e.g., the "hand" pencil topper when Jacoby flips the bird). I thought this was instantly one of the most perfect marriages of Lynch and Frost's styles ever. I adore it.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I love the idea that we seem to have competing evil forces in the world. This creates a lot of story possibilities.

By the way, I think Bad Coop wants to find a stronger spirit to inhabit him than Bob. That's why he's looking for the Owl entity.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Q "What exactly did David tell you in regards to Michael not returning?"
KM I" can’t say what I heard. I heard something, but I can’t say it."

Q "The general consensus is that he just retired from acting and didn’t want to come back."
KM "That’s one of the things that I heard, yes. That’s the one I’m allowed to say. All the other ones, the rumors, could be hearsay. I don’t know, I really don’t. I would talk to you about it, but I have no way of getting a hold of him so I can’t call him and see."

From an interview with Kimmy Robertson.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/twin-pea ... -ditz.html
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jerry Horne wrote:Great post Jasper. I wonder now just how much of this will be addressed by the series end or if we'll be discussing this 25 years from now :)
Thanks. I have no doubt that no matter what happens, we'll be left with a whole host of questions...in a worl- you know the drill. :lol:

I wouldn't have it any other way.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

HagbardCeline wrote:Got a wacky idea about Richard Horne. Anyone think he could be Donna's son?
I thought of that, too, but I think she would have given him the Hayward name given Season 2's ending, but who knows.

Wouldn't it be something if he's actually adopted? So many possibilities . . .
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

Rhodes wrote: Relationships with characters is great, but also a characteristic of 99,9% of television shows.
But there is a *REASON* why emphasis on character is used in 99,9% of all shows.

Using an argument like the one you used, in theory you could use it to praise anything Lynch would have done, no matter bad it was.

Imagine if the new show was filled with just, God awful horrible acting, and on top was devoid of any tension whatsoever. You could then make the argument that this is indeed a great thing, because 99,9 % shows rely heavily on decent acting and tension. Overlooking the fact that there are extremely good reasons for those elements.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Search your feelings Luke, you know it to be true!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 6.07.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 6.07.33 PM.png (593.36 KiB) Viewed 8824 times
Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 6.07.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 6.07.20 PM.png (422.84 KiB) Viewed 8824 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

He's got a point, America.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

claaa7 wrote: you can only speak for yourself. this might be a very challenging show for you, but it's getting great reviews and we're are already many extremely pleased fans.
Well that is what opinion is; people expressing their own thoughts. You speak for yourself too. Other people agree on both sides of this character argument.

I don't find the show itself to be a challenge. I meant that it was a challenge FOR the show. I want to be clear; I did not say that character is the *only* thing that matters all the time. But we as human beings tend to connect to that aspect, and it was a big part of the original series and it's timeless appeal.

And while it is true that many fans are pleased as you say, that is no argument in itself. I predicted on this board before the very first episode was seen by anyone, that people would LOVE it, simply based on the extreme level of goodwill I saw. The gratefulness of getting new Lynch directed Twin Peaks. Pure Lynch TP. Even the photo shoots, which I thought were not particularly good, were greeted overwhelmingly positively, totally in line with the eventual reception of the show itself.

It is at the point where we have people talking about how the slightly sub par CGI, down to technically rushed screen replacement, is Lynch being brilliant by doing it deliberately.
Praising him for choosing to shoot it digitally as well, because it gives 'just the right level of cold' for the new series, even though it seemed to be a question of cost and convenience if you were to believe the man himself.

By the way, I don't get hung up on the CGI issue, but it does tell you something about the psychology at play here.

After 25 years, when most people had given up any real hope, all of a sudden fans were given a gift that no one expected. Anything but an overwhelmingly positive reaction, among the already very open minded Lynch fans, would have truly puzzled me. Almost regardless of the end product.

"Almost regardless", in the sense that one could be pretty certain that Lynch wouldn't churn out mindless crap. You would be guaranteed some thought put into it, originality, lots of creativity, interesting little details etc. with any of his work. This is a pretty safe bet given the man's talent.

So for the record, I do enjoy these new episodes, I really look forward to the next one each time. But that doesn't mean I think it is perfect in every sense.
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

IcedOver wrote:
ryanmj1993 wrote:I'm really hoping this is the case! However given some stuff that people saw being filmed I don't think this is the case.
Well, it needs to progress somewhat and the character needs to be used in a different way. It seemed like that was going to be the case with the law firm thing, but we didn't get a resolution to that yet. After that, Coop has to come back. And please no more Jade!! That actress gave what is easily, no debate possible, the worst performance in a Lynch project ever.
Are you serious? My partner and I just commented (after our 2nd watch) that she is one of our favourite characters so far. So likeable and cool and someone we'd definitely go for a drink with.
-
As above, so below.
-
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Jerry Horne wrote:Search your feelings Luke, you know it to be true!
They should have given him Audrey's trademark beauty mole. :lol:

Someone posted elsewhere the idea that Linda is the daughter of good Coop and Annie, while Richard is the son of bad Coop and Audrey.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Sonny Jim is a youthful doppelganger of Richard Horne and Janey-E is a masked, brainwashed version of Annie.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Jerry Horne wrote:Search your feelings Luke, you know it to be true!
I'll never join you!
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

I seriously doubt NewHorne is the child of BadCoop and Audrey. That would mean he went straight to the hospital and pretty much violated a girl that just barely survived an explosion. The only real candidate for NewHorne's father, IMO, is "John Justice Wheeler". She'd have to get pregnant pretty late in S2 or early after it.

I just don't like the idea of anyone walking into a hospital and taking advantage of anyone that way.
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'm really digging watching people getting uncomfortable at even the possibility that Richard is Audrey's son! It just reminds me of the original series and folks discovering that Leland killed his own daughter. Dread and unease. Welcome to Twin Peaks.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM