Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Part 5 was, for me, a low-key triumph. I'm really settling into it now. The music was so welcome, even though there was little of it. Best of all was the quietly moving use of Windswept as Cooper stroked the statue's feet. With that low evening light and Cooper looking forgotten about, but having no understanding of it, was wrenching for me.

I am solidly convinced that they know what they're doing with the music. Falling comes in just when you start to think it never will, and that cathartic pause and release was genius, and very very deliberate.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

Normonaut wrote:I think people who are married will appreciate the Truman/Doris scene.

Sometimes you just gotta let the Mrs. go off on a rant without interrupting her. Then calmly lay down the facts when she's drawing breath.
Perfectly done :mrgreen:
Nope. Some of us don't believe women are inherently illogical ranting lunatics who can only be tamed by calm reasonable men.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:
bastia wrote:I think mr strawberry is a pet of the warden. Or someone who he knows for sure. Leland/BoB did the same thing quoting "Pittsburgh" to Coop when Leland was arrested, if you remembered.

About dougy: it's seems clear to me that the good coop is doing a path of re-birth ( i think lynch too said something about that), maybe because he challenged the lodge with incomplete courage ( as hawk warns in season 2). Anyway i think we'll see very little more of dougy. Kyle in his interview said he only shot for two days in that "mood".

I enjoyed the episode very much, soundtrack was great. Pace too.

I am very conflicted about dougy reality. It doesn't seem fictional but... Too many hints. Like "dreamland" and "cow in the moon"
Any link to that interview about Kyle spending only 2 days in that 'mood'? I really hope so as those scenes are getting to prolonged imo.

https://www.google.it/amp/ew.com/tv/201 ... ooper/amp/
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Got a wacky idea about Richard Horne. Anyone think he could be Donna's son?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

No idea if this has been discussed. I'm having a hard time keeping up.

I guess Garland actually had the owl cave ring in his stomach and it switched with Dougie's ring?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:Part 5 was, for me, a low-key triumph. I'm really settling into it now. The music was so welcome, even though there was little of it. Best of all was the quietly moving use of Windswept as Cooper stroked the statue's feet. With that low evening light and Cooper looking forgotten about, but having no understanding of it, was wrenching for me.

I am solidly convinced that they know what they're doing with the music. Falling comes in just when you start to think it never will, and that cathartic pause and release was genius, and very very deliberate.
100% agreed..if there's one thing Lynch knows it's sound design and the way moving pictures and sound/music work together. just listen to the first part of Episode 3 (Muave Room scene) with headphones on.

the Johnny Jewel album features several gems which i think will be included in the series
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

trismegistus wrote:
QuantumMechanic wrote:
What?!? It was a wonderful, hilarious scene which was one of the better non-horror scenes in all five episodes. I and everyone I was watching the show with were totally cracking up. Truman's quiet stoicism in the fact of his wife's over-the-topness was funny as hell.
Yeah! I couldn't agree more. I've been very confused by the hate directed at this scene
Wife and I liked it. Especially since we really like the "Deer Lady" scene in The Straight Story.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

zeppo1 wrote:When all was going bonkers during BadCoop's phone call, we saw a cooking show on one screen and....

a shoe repair shop(?) on the other?
The food show was weird. However, the repair shop (shoes or otherwise) struck me as a vocational workshop in the prison. This would naturally be monitored by surveillance.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Fire-blog-with-me wrote:
gary2381 wrote:I think the discussion about Hawk and his heritage could be dealing with the Owl Cave Ring. I wonder if any of the Teresa Banks files are in the boxes of case files Hawk is going through. In FWWM they were always looking for that ring. Perhaps Hawk discovers that the ring was missing, he sees the symbol on the ring from the Teresa Banks picture, figures out that the symbol matches the one in Owl Cave and finds the truth about the ring and its origin.
I really like this idea. Anything with more Teresa Banks is good with me. I would love for the new episodes to explore the Teresa Banks case/lore whether your idea happens or not.
We still haven't seen Harry Dean Staton gaze up at the sky (the electric poles?). We know he and Fat Trout are in the story. So, you have good reason to hope.
a whole damn town

Post by a whole damn town »

bastia wrote:
NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:Any link to that interview about Kyle spending only 2 days in that 'mood'? I really hope so as those scenes are getting to prolonged imo.
That comment refers to the 'real' Dougie Jones character. "He’s a screw-up, a lovable screw up," that's the overweight goofball who needs a prostitute to give him a ride, with no less than two hit squads on his tail.
MacLachlan talks about playing Droolcoop later in the interview and has significantly more to say about that.
I'm not just three men on a fishing trip.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I adore the soundtrack thus far (and that's with Badalamenti to come!)

I hope the eventual OST release will feature everything used?
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

a whole damn town wrote:
bastia wrote:
NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:Any link to that interview about Kyle spending only 2 days in that 'mood'? I really hope so as those scenes are getting to prolonged imo.
That comment refers to the 'real' Dougie Jones character. "He’s a screw-up, a lovable screw up," that's the overweight goofball who needs a prostitute to give him a ride, with no less than two hit squads on his tail.
MacLachlan talks about playing Droolcoop later in the interview and has significantly more to say about that.
"give him a ride"? No, Jade gives two rides! :D
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

KyleRickards wrote:
lotjx2 wrote:
BigEd wrote:
Are you missing anything? Yes, a few things:

"Briggs who may or may not be the headless body" - Episode 5 confirmed a finger print match between the headless body and Air Force records of Briggs. There is no longer any doubt.

"once again involves the Horne family" - I don't recall anybody in the Horne family being involved in drug trading in the original series or FWWM

"entire force is diminished" - Frank is filling in for (or has replaced) Harry and it appears that the force is larger than it used to be

"potential Leo as a boyfriend" - that slacker who is partnered with Becky is as far from Leo as North is from the South. Leo worked driving his own truck, spent weekends adding rooms to his house, "encouraged" Shelly to keep the house neat and still found time to take side work as an arsonist. That is a whole lot of (misplaced) drive and initiative. Becky's guy's idea of initiative was to take a half baked resume into a job interview and find satisfaction from the constructive feedback (Mike telling him how awful he was).

"Jacoby trying to scam people to buy shovels" - not sure how this is a scam. Selling a $10 shovel with $5 of added gold spray paint for $30 (plus S&H) is pretty straight. The buyer wants one of these novelties and is willing to pay a few bucks to have something to show to their friends.
Ben Horne was part of One Eyed Jacks in some way. He was funneling women there for prostitution and he knew about Leo's activities. Ben was involved in some way. I am sure Frank is a good cop, but Harry was the soul of that department. The department is diminished even if its a small way. Becky's boyfriend has that same creepy vibe Leo had. Jacoby is totally scamming people by using his rant to sell a false hope. He might as well be selling Miracle Water.
I thought Ben owned One Eyed Jacks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I thought he was at least a co-owner. One Eyed Jack had drugs coming in and out since it was used to dope the girls. The one fat French Canadian was a dealer there and the police force knew that drugs had something to do with the place that is why they sent Dale and Big Ale into the case the joint.
a whole damn town

Post by a whole damn town »

wxray wrote:
a whole damn town wrote:
"give him a ride"? No, Jade gives two rides! :D
Oh, I know, Jade is a true saint, but the real Dougie only needed one ride.
I'm not just three men on a fishing trip.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

lotjx2 wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:
lotjx2 wrote:
Ben Horne was part of One Eyed Jacks in some way. He was funneling women there for prostitution and he knew about Leo's activities. Ben was involved in some way. I am sure Frank is a good cop, but Harry was the soul of that department. The department is diminished even if its a small way. Becky's boyfriend has that same creepy vibe Leo had. Jacoby is totally scamming people by using his rant to sell a false hope. He might as well be selling Miracle Water.
I thought Ben owned One Eyed Jacks?

I thought he was at least a co-owner. One Eyed Jack had drugs coming in and out since it was used to dope the girls. The one fat French Canadian was a dealer there and the police force knew that drugs had something to do with the place that is why they sent Dale and Big Ale into the case the joint.
If I remember, I think Ben owned the place outright and Blackie was the lead madam, although Jean Renault and Blackie were trying to get control (and I think Hank was sent to convey that message back to Ben)

(I only know as I watched it about two weeks ago!)