Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Post by IcedOver »

On the topic of "what song is that?", what's the tune over the credits of Part 5? I assume it's one of the Johnny Jewel songs listed. It seems like Badalamenti is barely present. If it's not listed and named in the credits as Badalamenti (or him and Lynch), are we to assume nothing is Badalamenti (i.e., are they naming every piece of music in the credits, or is he just doing unnamed incidental music)?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

KyleRickards wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:Premonition is an interesting idea.

Speaking of Sonny Jim, I still don't believe these theories about his eyelids dancing a lodge jig. He was just fluttering his eyelids like a normal kid.

People also perceived Denise moving strangely, and I honestly think that the Black Lodge has just worked itself into people's minds so strongly that they're now noticing odd movements everywhere that are just ordinary banal odd human movements. It's very interesting how the show's estrangement effects can affect the mind's perception.
The Denise scene (end) is definitely reversed. I only say this as I am normally rubbish at spotting things. I don't think it's anything supernatural, more an artistic choice or an intentional fix of a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think with Denise people are having trouble with why that particular scene was included, so they're looking for things. Aside from the end part, I didn't see any indicators she was off. (I think focusing the conversation on womanhood with Denise was a way of contributing to the overall themes of identity maybe?) But we'll see if anything else comes up when she appears again.

Gordon Cole having a thing for Tammy may turn out to be a plot point rather than just a little joking around.
teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Post by teddyleevin »

It seemed that the scene was somehow for the development of Tammy's role/character; there's no way it's just fanservice. Will we see Richard Chamberlain again?
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

IcedOver wrote:On the topic of "what song is that?", what's the tune over the credits of Part 5? I assume it's one of the Johnny Jewel songs listed. It seems like Badalamenti is barely present. If it's not listed and named in the credits as Badalamenti (or him and Lynch), are we to assume nothing is Badalamenti (i.e., are they naming every piece of music in the credits, or is he just doing unnamed incidental music)?
The closing tune is Windswept by Johnny Jewel from the album of the same name. It seems you can download the whole album it for $1.00 from the Italians Do It Better website. The opening tune from Vegas was also Johnny Jewel - The Flame.

I'm not 100% sure but I think some of the musical cues we have been hearing are Thought Gang, which is Badalamenti and Lynch's avant-garde jazz duo that did A Real indication on FWWM soundtrack. I've certainly saw Though Gang's Frank 2000 credited more than once this series.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I haven't read The Odyssey in a long time, but I'm curious as to whether Frost's love of Joyce may have inspired him and Lynch to create a Ulysses style episodic journey for Cooper.

The parallels probably wouldn't be exact, just as in Joyce's deployment of the material. For example, doesn't Ulysses experience a period of memory loss like Cooper?

I'm going to look over the plot some time today to see if it might provide clues for where we're going.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I haven't read The Odyssey in a long time, but I'm curious as to whether Frost's love of Joyce may have inspired him and Lynch to create a Ulysses style episodic journey for Cooper.

The parallels probably wouldn't be exact, just as in Joyce's deployment of the material. For example, doesn't Ulysses experience a period of memory loss like Cooper?

I'm going to look over the plot some time today to see if it might provide clues for where we're going.
Showtime's Gary Levine said that “the core of it is Agent Cooper’s odyssey back to Twin Peaks.”
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Interesting that Part 8 is 'Gotta Light?'. I'm wondering if someone is going to ask this of Richard again.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Oh boy, I hope Comast/Xfinity drop Part 6 early like last week with 5. :twisted:
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Eagle fuckin' eyed for that weekly leak.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

That sweet leak tastes like cherry pie. :wink:
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote:Eagle fuckin' eyed for that weekly leak.
What will you do if you can't get a screenshot of Part 6 three hours before it airs?

WHAT WILL YOU DO?!?!?
jordanlake
Roadhouse Member

Post by jordanlake »

krishnanspace wrote:The credits list Sam Smith as part of Trouble.Sam Smith's Imdb page also says so.Did anyone spot him?
There is no way in a million years that someone who produces bland blue-eyed soul like the UK's Sam Smith would ever be attached to a group like Trouble. It's a different guy.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Interestingly, I don't believe the other two actresses were even in the List of 217.
Indeed, they weren't.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Post by qbin2001 »

BMS242 wrote:The first time I watched Part 5, I thought the Sunny Jim reverse blink thing was clear as day. Second time around, I didn't notice it. Assuming it's true (I haven't gone back for a third slow-mo look, it's obviously a very blink and you'll miss moment (pun intended).
I've checked - it is reversed. The quesion is: is it mean something, or Lynch wanted in the editing proces the boy opening eyes, and they just used the shot they've got in reverse.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jasper wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Eagle fuckin' eyed for that weekly leak.
What will you do if you can't get a screenshot of Part 6 three hours before it airs?

WHAT WILL YOU DO?!?!?
Cry a lot.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.