Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by Esselgee »

IcedOver wrote:This may have been mentioned (don't have time to look through 40 pages of forum). Does anybody else have a pet peeve with situations when movies or TV shows use production photos as photos of characters? This is done so often. They'll use still photos of characters from a particular scene which were taken by the on-set photographer or paused in the movie/show itself. That was the case with this episode and Cooper's photo. Couldn't they have gone back and found some on-set pic of MacLachlan just smiling, or a candid shot or something? It's so lazy and obvious.
Agreed. They could have at least painted out the background in the photo so it wouldn't have been so recognizable to us fans.
Denise's Pieces
Roadhouse Member

Post by Denise's Pieces »

Reading through some of these posts I wonder if we're all watching the same show? LOL
Here are my thoughts on Richard Horne's lineage:
It's doubtful that DoppelCoop could have had time to go to the hospital, avoid any hospital staff, friends and family, and have relations with an Audrey that had JUST been nearly killed in an explosion (at this point we still don't know what kind of injuries she sustained in said explosion), then had time to allegedly set fire to Major Brigg's Station, and then high-tail it out of town. Doesn't make sense to me.
It's also doubtful that Richard is the bastard of Jerry or Ben- he would not likely have their last name in this case. Kinda like Game of Thrones. He's a legit Horne.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

On second thought, the whole DoppelCoop/Bob and Audrey as Richard Horne's parents probably wouldn't have been feasible.

Audrey had just survived the bank explosion, and was probably in the hospital recovering while DoppelCoop/Bob was in town. It seems to me that DoppelCoop/Bob was only in Twin Peaks for a few short days after emerging from the Lodge. He tied up some loose ends, killing Briggs and maybe Annie too, and then vamoosed.

Episode 5 seems to give several wink winks to the fans of the show, linking certain characters together without fully understanding their current relationships: Nadine & Mike Nelson. Shelly & Becky. Becky & Steve. Jerry & Richard Horne.

I'm extremely excited to discover the last names of Charlotte (Grace Victoria Cox) and Elizabeth (Jane Levy). I'm sure at least one of them is related to an established local family.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I'm guessing that Belushi & Knepper's characters' last name being "Mitchum" is a continuation of the old show's tradition of naming characters in reference to classic film noir? (In this case, not a character but an actor: no fim fan can hear that surname and not think of Robert Mitchum, star of many classic films noir -- including Out of the Past with Jane "Vivian Niles" Greer, and playing two of the all-time great screen villains in Night of the Hunter and Cape Fear.)
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Does anyone else, even those who are over the moon on this new series, agree that the next part MUST bring a resolution of some sorts to the blank
Cooper/Dougie deal? We can't have another whole episode with Cooper standing around. The joke has worn thin. It's making me worried for the long-term plot structure of this show.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Maybe Bad Coop was in town a little longer then we think? Maybe he was hiding out in Windom's cabin? After all, his metal briefcase seems to be the same.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Damn, Amy Shiels looks almost indistinguishable from Ashley Johnson in this episode.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
ryanmj1993
Roadhouse Member

Post by ryanmj1993 »

IcedOver wrote:Does anyone else, even those who are over the moon on this new series, agree that the next part MUST bring a resolution of some sorts to the blank
Cooper/Dougie deal? We can't have another whole episode with Cooper standing around. The joke has worn thin. It's making me worried for the long-term plot structure of this show.
I'm really hoping this is the case! However given some stuff that people saw being filmed I don't think this is the case.
Leo K
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leo K »

I think the best thing in this episode is that poor little squirt with the shirt with the 1 on it going over to Dougie's car. That whole scene with his mom in the house and his existence, and then going outside and back in is just incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

ryanmj1993 wrote:I'm really hoping this is the case! However given some stuff that people saw being filmed I don't think this is the case.
Well, it needs to progress somewhat and the character needs to be used in a different way. It seemed like that was going to be the case with the law firm thing, but we didn't get a resolution to that yet. After that, Coop has to come back. And please no more Jade!! That actress gave what is easily, no debate possible, the worst performance in a Lynch project ever.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:
ryanmj1993 wrote:I'm really hoping this is the case! However given some stuff that people saw being filmed I don't think this is the case.
Well, it needs to progress somewhat and the character needs to be used in a different way. It seemed like that was going to be the case with the law firm thing, but we didn't get a resolution to that yet. After that, Coop has to come back. And please no more Jade!! That actress gave what is easily, no debate possible, the worst performance in a Lynch project ever.
I like the Jade actress a lot. And it was an insurance company, not a law firm. "Lucky 7"!
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

madeleineferguson wrote:On second thought, the whole DoppelCoop/Bob and Audrey as Richard Horne's parents probably wouldn't have been feasible.

Audrey had just survived the bank explosion, and was probably in the hospital recovering while DoppelCoop/Bob was in town. It seems to me that DoppelCoop/Bob was only in Twin Peaks for a few short days after emerging from the Lodge. He tied up some loose ends, killing Briggs and maybe Annie too, and then vamoosed.

Episode 5 seems to give several wink winks to the fans of the show, linking certain characters together without fully understanding their current relationships: Nadine & Mike Nelson. Shelly & Becky. Becky & Steve. Jerry & Richard Horne.

I'm extremely excited to discover the last names of Charlotte (Grace Victoria Cox) and Elizabeth (Jane Levy). I'm sure at least one of them is related to an established local family.
Cousins have had a place in Twin Peaks. Cousins, and cousins removed (to get the correct generation) can have the same or different last names.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Why was Dougie paying for sex when the hot office red head wanted to do him? Maybe she only wanted to do it with him after he became DougieCoop? Plus he was in major debt to someone. Did anyone ever figure out how much he paid Jade?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

As a confirmed skeptic who was firmly of the mindset that "the cast list is what it is, no surprises except possibly an Ontkean Skype call," I'm becoming increasingly hopeful of seeing Bowie. I know I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but he was alive for half of the shooting, and given what we've seen so far, his character is being set up enough as a big part of the narrative (even in this revised version of the show following Bowie's illness and passing) that DKL MUST have reached out to him at some point. Yes, I know Bowie was concentrating on completing more personal projects, but it wouldn't have taken him that much time/effort to shoot a few pieces in his home with whatever cameras he had on hand. I mean, I'd also be fine with Jeffries having evolved into the black box, a braintree, a monkey or a sentient teapot. But it suddenly doesn't seem quite so out of the realm of possibility that we might get some sort of glimpse of Phillip in the flesh.

(Just no recast, please.)
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Maybe I am in the minority, but I really enjoy the DougieCoop/DroolCoop stuff. I think Lynch/Frost have effectively stripped away all of what we though was Coop, and left behind nothing but his most primal, childlike essence. Watching Coop in this state navigate situations and re-discover the things he values provides a real unfiltered look at his character. Also, it seems that deleting almost every worldly experience from his brain has served to strengthen his connection to his intuitive faculties, hence his heightened ability to determine which jackpot machine was ripe for a win, and the fact that he could tell that Tom Sizemore was lying, despite never having met him before, and not even understanding the context of what Sizemore was talking about.

I find Cooper's reactions to the world to be genuine and without self-awareness. There is an earnestness about his character not having an emotional filter the way most humans do. DroolCoop cries without hesitation, and reaches for the coffee he craves without asking. The only real inhibition he's expressed is an aversion to pissing himself. If Cooper in the original series was a wide eyed optimist delighted by every bit of minutiae that passed before his eyes, then DroolCoop isn't much different, just a far less eloquent (and expressive) version.

Also I found something in the end credits scene to be profoundly moving. I know it was just Kyle Maclachlan touching a statue and looking at it, but it's difficult for me not to watch that sequence and not be reminded about things from my own past that I still try to find in the world, whether consciously or unconsciously. It's so simple yet so emotionally evocative. Cooper's deep sense of longing for a part of himself he can't really remember just jumped through the screen and kicked me in the gut.