Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by nick1218 »

LodgeLove wrote:Just an opinion - not super insightful or anything just from a general fan/viewer - I very rarely post, but I was motivated to chime in: After last week's episode being the best so far, this one really pissed me off.
I'm a big fan, but not someone who completely worships David Lynch, so I am disappointed he's given himself so much screen time. I like where the show is going for the most part, but they are painfully slow at doling out the beloved characters.
James hasn't even had a line! I loved seeing Bobby and Shelly together last week, but what really set me off was Audrey's return. man I was looking forward to this. She got to show off some acting chops, but the scenario almost seemed degrading to the character. I'm a little invested as a old fan, and as we get to fewer episodes left, I'm giving up hope of having my (i acknowledge this is just my opinion) hopes to see a satisfying amount of the cast that made Twin Peaks so beloved.
:(
I feel your pain
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

Audrey Horne wrote:My apologies... I type most of this from an iPad now, and can't figure out how to quote multiple people, or anything complicated beyond a normal post here.

Even with the Audrey scene out of the equation, I'm surprised by how critical people are with this installment, as if it were vastly different from previous ones. I thought it was pretty succinct,.
You can call that ep a lot of things, good or bad but you cannot call it succinct
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Dean Hurley said all the Roadhouse musical acts were shot in one day, I believe. He didn't say whether the dialogue scenes were shot that same day, although I doubt it -- that's already a jam-packed production day just doing all the musical acts. Presumably, the dialogue scenes were all shot around the same time as each other and likely reused extras, of course.
All the band performances were shot in one day at the very tail end of shooting. It's possible it extended to another day where they shot most of the dialogue scenes. But they most likely filmed all that stuff together.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

AudreyHorne wrote:
Rik Renault wrote:
When I rewatched this episode I thought something was different about that! I even asked my girlfriend: "were there always 3 red A's on that?"

I think more will be revealed to do with the Rancho Rosa inclusion in-universe too. There are too many connections with not only the RR diner, but the whole Ronnie Rocket story, that go deeper than a fun little easter egg that appears on a billboard in Las Vegas.
The A's are always red except for Part 8 where the intro was black and white. However, this was the only episode beside Part 8 where the RR was in reversed colours (light RR letters on dark background instead of dark on light), which suggests something was up. Maybe it has to do with Sarah's warning ("Men are coming").
musicaddict wrote:I wasn't referring to the 3 A's I mean the actual background behind the words Rancho Rosa was red/pink and this has been changing for every episode throughout the series.
I was replying to Rik Renault who was wondering about the colour of the A's.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

AudreyHorne wrote:
AudreyHorne wrote:
Rik Renault wrote:
When I rewatched this episode I thought something was different about that! I even asked my girlfriend: "were there always 3 red A's on that?"

I think more will be revealed to do with the Rancho Rosa inclusion in-universe too. There are too many connections with not only the RR diner, but the whole Ronnie Rocket story, that go deeper than a fun little easter egg that appears on a billboard in Las Vegas.
The A's are always red except for Part 8 where the intro was black and white. However, this was the only episode beside Part 8 where the RR was in reversed colours (light RR letters on dark background instead of dark on light), which suggests something was up. Maybe it has to do with Sarah's warning ("Men are coming").
musicaddict wrote:I wasn't referring to the 3 A's I mean the actual background behind the words Rancho Rosa was red/pink and this has been changing for every episode throughout the series.
I was replying to Rik Renault who was wondering about the colour of the A's.
yes and he quoted my post originally so I was clarifying what I was referring to - capish?
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Then you should have quoted Rik's post not mine.
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

Ross wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Dean Hurley said all the Roadhouse musical acts were shot in one day, I believe. He didn't say whether the dialogue scenes were shot that same day, although I doubt it -- that's already a jam-packed production day just doing all the musical acts. Presumably, the dialogue scenes were all shot around the same time as each other and likely reused extras, of course.
All the band performances were shot in one day at the very tail end of shooting. It's possible it extended to another day where they shot most of the dialogue scenes. But they most likely filmed all that stuff together.
That sounds like way too much work for one day (or two).
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Where did Hurley say that? I've heard it before but never directly from someone like him who would know. It seems unnecessarily difficult, logistically, to me that they would get all of those successful, working bands all in one place at one time. Although I guess when you think about it it's no different than booking a mini music festival.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

nick1218 wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:My apologies... I type most of this from an iPad now, and can't figure out how to quote multiple people, or anything complicated beyond a normal post here.

Even with the Audrey scene out of the equation, I'm surprised by how critical people are with this installment, as if it were vastly different from previous ones. I thought it was pretty succinct,.
You can call that ep a lot of things, good or bad but you cannot call it succinct
Ha, true that sounds ridiculous... Maybe concise in its lengthy ambiguity is better? But seriously, I thought many scenes felt like they had a beginning, middle, and (unanswered) end, or at least a button on them.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Ross wrote:
Someone noticed the "No Smoking" sign when we were introduced to Richard was just slapped up there with tape. Things may have been rushed along. :)
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Upon the second viewing:
  • The episode is better than I initially deemed it, I did not find it poor then, just had some reservations, now I think it is almost flawless;
  • We saw as much Dougie as needed; :-)
  • Sarah is shopping at a convenience store! The music is from the scene above the convenience store(!) and that very sound part was played when the Jumping Man was then on screen ("listen to the sounds"). Following the Jumping Man scene, Bob had then uttered "I have the fury of my own momentum"; It would indicate two worlds are converging, as Bob and LMFAP would then exit the Black Lodge into the Waiting Room;
  • "Turkey Jerky" reminded me of "I slipped and struck my head on the mirror. It struck me as funny Harry". The same kind of word play;
  • David Lynch can sure act!
  • Still only trust Albert, and I do not find this Diane that bright to be honest;
  • The Tammy and Diane scene featured red curtains. Subsequently, the French lady wears a red dress with a black jacket, she puts the jacket on, the curtains are black in this scene. Her shoes are red-black too, the lipstick is red, wine obviously red with a black label; So it is Black that is overtaking Red (as she puts the jacket on), another indicator that the Black Lodge is set loose; Black Lodge spilling into the Red Waiting Room;
  • Bordeaux is not only a wine but a color too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(color)#Claret;
  • Hutch and Chantal drive a black van, the color very much like the curtains and the jacket from the scene before;
  • The Moon is in the last quarter as they shoot the warden, it is not yet a new moon;
  • Charlie says that he and Audrey should not go outside because the Moon is new and it is all dark: this scene therefore takes place the night or two after the warden had been killed;
  • Interestingly, Audrey wears a black dress and has a red jacket, the very opposite of the French lady; So something opposite is taking place here;
1derpalm

Post by 1derpalm »

boske wrote:Upon the second viewing:
  • The episode is better than I initially deemed it, I did not find it poor then, just had some reservations, now I think it is almost flawless;
  • Sarah is shopping at a convenience store! The music is from the scene above the convenience store(!) and that very sound part was played when the Jumping Man was then on screen ("listen to the sounds"). Following the Jumping Man scene, Bob had then uttered "I have the fury of my own momentum"; It would indicate two worlds are converging, as Bob and LMFAP would then exit the Black Lodge into the Waiting Room;
  • "Turkey Jerky" reminded me of "I slipped and struck my head on the mirror. It struck me as funny Harry". The same kind of word play;
  • Still only trust Albert, and I do not find this Diane that bright to be honest;
  • The Tammy and Diane scene featured red curtains. Subsequently, the French lady wears a red dress with a black jacket, she puts the jacket on, the curtains are black in this scene. Her shoes are red-black too, the lipstick is red, wine obviously red with a black label; So it is Black that is overtaking Red (as she puts the jacket on), another indicator that the Black Lodge is set loose; Black Lodge spilling into the Red Waiting Room;
  • Bordeaux is not only a wine but a color too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(color)#Claret;
  • Hutch and Chantal drive a black van, the color very much like the curtains and the jacket from the scene before;
  • The Moon is in the last quarter as they shoot the warden, it is not yet a new moon;
  • Charlie says that he and Audrey should not go outside because the Moon is new and it is all dark: this scene therefore takes place the night or two after the warden had been killed;
  • Interestingly, Audrey wears a black dress and has a red jacket, the very opposite of the French lady; So something opposite is taking place here;
You sir, are a champ. I also feel that some of these scenes are meant to take place after.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

1derpalm wrote:
boske wrote:Upon the second viewing:
You sir, are a champ. I also feel that some of these scenes are meant to take place after.
Likewise!
  • If the music here has anything to do with it, could Sarah really be the girl from part 8 as some people had speculated?
  • The Moon in the last quarter can be seen shortly before sunrise, 3 AM or later. If they shot the warden at that very hour, it would be unlikely that his son would be awake at the time;
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I understand people's love of analyzing every minute detail, and far be it for me to rain on anyone's parade, but I really wouldn't put much stock into something like the phases of the moon. The original show was notorious in fan circles for showing close-up shots of the moon between scenes which were completely inconsistent episode to episode with the series' one-episode-one-day structure. And whatever the moon looks like in that sniper scene, it's because that's what the moon happened to look like on the night that they had that location and Tim Roth and JJL were available to film there. I'd bet the homestead that DKL didn't schedule a shoot around getting a specific phase of the moon.