4by8s...

2by4s...
4by8s...

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Re: the Missing Pieces

Post by Poiuyt »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Lucy definitely seems to be based almost as much on the version of the character in the Missing Pieces as anything in the preceding 30 episodes! Especially with the phone thing.
Holy cow, this. The scene with the intercom felt like a direct setup for Lucy's cell phone shenanigans in the LES.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I just watched bits of the missing pieces for the first time after watching S3, and there is something I noticed in the convenience store scene that didn't strike me as significant before. Putting in a spoiler tag just in case.
Spoiler:
Laura's face gets superimposed on the convenience store at some point (looks like the same shot as the possession on the stairs). This now strikes me as very significant. i.e. it is similar to the Cooper face in the last parts of S3, and if we now know that Laura was somehow sent to combat Judy, it presumably means something to see her in the context of this scene. I don't know what it means though! :-D
Did anyone else have any thoughts on this? I may have missed them due to not reading this thread in months.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rewatched The Missing Pieces as I'm in the midst of my full rewatch of everything. I hadn't ever really thought about it and honestly forgot about it up until I saw it again, but when MFAP tells Cooper "There is nowhere to go...BUT HOME!" what does he mean? What did people take it to mean when they either read the script long ago or first saw The Missing Pieces? And now with the extra context of The Return, what do people think it means?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:Rewatched The Missing Pieces as I'm in the midst of my full rewatch of everything. I hadn't ever really thought about it and honestly forgot about it up until I saw it again, but when MFAP tells Cooper "There is nowhere to go...BUT HOME!" what does he mean? What did people take it to mean when they either read the script long ago or first saw The Missing Pieces? And now with the extra context of The Return, what do people think it means?
The obvious (maybe too obvious) reading is that he means the White Lodge. There is a definite parallel to Garland’s recounting his vision in Episode 8: “I’d known this place. I had, in fact, been born and raised there. This was my first RETURN. [Emphasis added] A reunion with the deepest wellsprings of my being. Wandering about, I noticed happily that the HOUSE had been immaculately maintained...” (again, emphasis added...how does this tie in to, “It is in our house now”?)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Something I've been wondering. Are The Missing Pieces the complete deleted scenes or did Lynch hold any back?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:Something I've been wondering. Are The Missing Pieces the complete deleted scenes or did Lynch hold any back?
I think as far as we know, that’s pretty much everything (unless Jerry knows differently!). There are some more scenes in the script, but most either we know weren’t filmed (Johnny’s birthday because Beymer opted out) or else they probably weren’t (alternate scenes with Harry/Josie Pete/Ed which were likely scrapped and replaced with the new scenes he ended up creating for those characters).

There is a gap in TMP footage, in that we never see the scripted moment when Gordon tells Cooper that Desmond has gone missing (in the film, the timeline was changed and this was fudged with an ADR line, but TMP follows the script). We just jump right from Cooper at Diane’s doorway to Cooper interviewing Sam. So there may be small moments like that that were shot and left out.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Cool, thanks. I remember some of the scripted scenes - such as Harry serenading Josie - but wasn't sure if Lynch held back any filmed but deleted scenes, for whatever reasons.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

LateReg wrote:Rewatched The Missing Pieces as I'm in the midst of my full rewatch of everything. I hadn't ever really thought about it and honestly forgot about it up until I saw it again, but when MFAP tells Cooper "There is nowhere to go...BUT HOME!" what does he mean? What did people take it to mean when they either read the script long ago or first saw The Missing Pieces? And now with the extra context of The Return, what do people think it means?
I think, at least another possible interpretation of this reference to HOME might be that in the Red Room scene LMFAP is not referring to the place that Cooper needs to return to, but to the place that Mike and Bob wanted to go back to. In other words, the phrase "You are here and there is no place to go... but HOME", although being addressed to Cooper, was in fact spoken from LMFAP's egocentric perspective, with Cooper's question just triggering at an associative level his thoughts on return that preoccupied his very existence. In my opinion, there are two sources of evidence to make such a case:
1. Robert Engels' multiple references to the "Creamed Corn planet/world/area/dimension whatever" as their "home" they want to go back to.
2. LMFAP and Mike refer to "home" when they meet Bob a couple of scenes earlier: "Bob, you're not going home without me. I want all my garmonbozia." (FWWM script)
If the word "home" in this phrase refers not to the Black Lodge/the Red Room, but to their place of origin mentioned by Engels, then the only explanation I can come up with would be that Mike is accusing Bob of an attempt to accumulate some great power on his own that ultimately would allow him to go back home alone; alternatively, if Bob is blinded by his attachment to this material world, being delusioned into thinking that he does not need to return, Mike's phrase implies that what Bob really needs to do is to return and Mike is his only chance to do it, so Bob must share.

I think, there is some connection between this scene and the one where LMFAP is talking about home.
Finally, the egocentric character of LMFAP's response can be seen from the fact that he, like in the Convenience Store scene, usually talks about what occupies/interests himself and is not inclined to take the other person's perspective, which is very similar to the way how the mind of a little child or mentally ill person works.

I hope, what I've written here, makes at least some sense. I would appreciate it, if someone could leave a comment.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

I'm remembering Laura saying, quite emphatically, "I'm going HOME Bobby."

Adam, in Mulholland Drive, telling Cynthia (3x no less as if clicking his heels together): "I'm going HOME."

And the late great Dougie happily announcing "Home" to Janey_E and Sonny.

More references abound.

My take is that it's part of a spiritual journey, perhaps bardo.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

Then it may be that Little Man's words implied that reaching home is an ultimate goal for one's spiritual growth and everybody has his own home. Thus, in this context this phrase attains a universal meaning applicable both to Mike and Bob's predicament (for some reason they found themselves in our world and have apparently to starve, if I read Engels right, therefore they need to go back) and to Cooper's situation (he was unable to face and combat his fears, his shadow-self, therefore he needs to pass through something like his "purgatory" - probably those 25 years of stay in the Lodge? - before leaving this transitional place as a wholesome person). The fly in the ointment is that neither of these two scenarios was subsequently realized.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

Could be.

I have started a re-watch recently and in episode 2 or 3 Hawk and Cooper tell Leland they will help him "home."

Leland repeats "home" 3 times.

In TP The Return, much is made of the number 3. Audrey repeating "what' 3x upon awaking from her stupor is one example. But I think it means something.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

I was later reminded of a piece I read that discusses the repetitive "3's" in TP's. So for any who've not come across this article by now the link is below. I don't think I agree with the Albert hypothesis:

https://medium.com/@fatecolossal/the-dr ... 1484915098
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I watched both FWWM and The Missing Pieces consecutively during my first binge through the series. So I hadn't recalled this scene not being in the film

https://youtu.be/63VHeu5V0zA

As I sat with a friend through her first watch, I was anticipating what is probably the best example of transcendental primal terror I've seen on screen barring the final scene in Part 18.

Near the third act, I began to realise it's not coming . And I was absolutely devastated to discover it was a scene cut from the original film.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Only the words "I want to taste through your mouth" are in the original, is that right?
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB