Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoil

Post by Asterisk »

Just out of interest, does anyone know whether there was ever any discussion about including digital download versions as part of this set?

It is so commonplace these days (and I like the option), but I recall Lynch hates the idea of watching films on phones etc.
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

I'm rewatching the series right now in Bluray and WOW BOB WOW, it's like watching it for the first time... :D

I'm noticing awesome things that I didn't before, like Big Ed's belt with his name on it from episode 20 (around 19:50, when Norma visits him), I wonder where's that prop? Maybe some day I'll resurrect my old "Did You Notice" threads from the Gazette... Certainly I didn't notice Ed's belt before... :D
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Gordon wrote:Maybe some day I'll resurrect my old "Did You Notice" threads from the Gazette...
Please do, Gordon! I used to love reading those. On many occasions i'd actually watch the same episode you did, just to take in all the things you listed. :D
Last edited by hopesfall on Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Did anyone noticed before how dirty the floor of the Double R is when Audrey walks in and then dances on ep 2? It was the first for me.
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

Ok, hopesfall, some day I will... :D After all I only need to update what I already posted there... But right now the only thing I want to do is watch the Blurays in all their glory... BTW, good to see you...
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Great to see you again too, Gordon!

Recycled or not, it would be great to renew discussion in those great little things you miss first (and second/third/etc!) time round in certain episodes, especially with the blu-ray being out now. You might even be able to do a deleted scenes edition! :D
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Was anyone able to take screen caps of the rare set of pics of both the series and FWWM from the box set?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

How David Lynch re-edited The Missing Pieces

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I'm looking for clarification from anyone who was involved with the creation of The Entire Mystery blu-ray and knows more or less how the process of refining the Missing Pieces took place. It has been stated on numerous occasions, and seems quite clear from the evidence onscreen, that Lynch re-edited these sequences rather than simply present them as they were extracted from the cut in 1991-92 (for one thing, he would have been editing rough footage, for another certain scenes would have been cut at the assembly stage without much work having been done on them at all).

Yet Lauzirika has also spoken of Lynch calling him to say that there was 90 minutes of deleted footage, suggesting he'd found sequences rather than the hours upon hours of raw footage shot during the production. Was it just a matter of discovering the original reels of film (and did he really preserve hours of leftover - i.e. not utilized in the final print - negative for 20 years?!) and knowing in his head roughly how much time that translated to in terms of scenes? Did he start again from scratch or was he basing his cuts on earlier renditions of each sequence (particularly those that made it late in the game but were then cut)?

I realize Lynch's post-production working method is not something he shares a great deal of, but I'm talking even in the broadest terms here. What exactly was discovered? How closely related are The Missing Pieces to the scenes originally deleted from the cut 22 years ago? What sort of new soundwork was done? (I'm assuming no ADR, but there certainly seems to be a lot of ambiance and effects-work added in 2014, even putting aside the obvious examples of the Convenience Store and ceiling-work scenes.)

These are questions I surprisingly haven't seen addressed much yet. This is such a revolutionary, unusual approach to take to long-dormant footage that was not part of a final cut of a film.
Chareth

Re: How David Lynch re-edited The Missing Pieces

Post by Chareth »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Yet Lauzirika has also spoken of Lynch calling him to say that there was 90 minutes of deleted footage, suggesting he'd found sequences rather than the hours upon hours of raw footage shot during the production. Was it just a matter of discovering the original reels of film (and did he really preserve hours of leftover - i.e. not utilized in the final print - negative for 20 years?!) and knowing in his head roughly how much time that translated to in terms of scenes? Did he start again from scratch or was he basing his cuts on earlier renditions of each sequence (particularly those that made it late in the game but were then cut)?
Given that Lynch reportedly selected around 45 minutes worth of scenes back in the early 2000s, I always interpreted CBS's surprise as not that 90 minutes worth of sequences existed, but that Lynch was happy for 90 minutes worth to be released. They were clearly very deferential to his wishes and seemed to just be waiting to find out what he was willing to put on the Blu-ray. But yes, inside knowledge is needed to clarify that for certain.

That inside knowledge would come in handy for another question: do we know how well the Blu-ray did in sales terms? I'm wondering if it was a contributing factor to the decision to greenlight the new season.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: How David Lynch re-edited The Missing Pieces

Post by qbin2001 »

The only scene I miss in the Missing Pieces is the original version of the scene with Sam and Chet after the fight before Sam take body back to Portland. It was cut badly in the film, and you can see that Sam is saying something different at the end. I was disappointed it wasn't restored to original version. :roll:
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Would have loved to have seen the Scene were Harry's playing guitar to Josie - sure there was a picture of it - but read well in the script
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

sparco1979 wrote:Would have loved to have seen the Scene were Harry's playing guitar to Josie - sure there was a picture of it - but read well in the script
I think someone on here confirmed that was not shot. I don't know if I've ever seen a picture from it, but I could be mistaken...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Question for admin: can you unpin this thread from the top of the page? It doesn't seem to be getting many replies and when I visit the page to look for the latest posts it can be distracting/misleading to always see it near the top. Just a minor quibble, but others may feel the same.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Of minor interest: When cooper spots Windom during the chaos at the pageant, it seems the VoiceOver of him saying "Windom Earle" has been removed (or actually deeply buried into the mix and not subtitled). I'm fine with that because it always seemed kind of stupid to me.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Si78 wrote:Of minor interest: When cooper spots Windom during the chaos at the pageant, it seems the VoiceOver of him saying "Windom Earle" has been removed (or actually deeply buried into the mix and not subtitled). I'm fine with that because it always seemed kind of stupid to me.
Yeah- its actually like that on the Gold Box as well, and they didn't change it back. If you listen to the original stereo track, you hear it like it was in the broadcast version.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/