Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoil

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

underthefan wrote:Does anyone know where I can buy Dean Hurley and Thought Gang tracks from The Missing Pieces? I can't seem to find David Lynch's music store on his site, if it even still exists.
Yeah, would like that too
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I just realized that amazing 2-minute "Missing Pieces" teaser trailer from a couple months ago is included on Disc 10 of the Bluray set as one of the special features. SO grateful they included that.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

So clearly many people with different players are having issues with disc 9 of the new set.

Will there be a replacement program?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:I always assumed this was the Briggs' house :?

I'm pretty sure it is. I remember talking with uber-fan Josh about that house specifically, it's located near the Fall City Roadhouse. Even back then Josh mentioned that the Bobby and Laura scene was filmed in the GARAGE of that house, though they say it's in the basement.

Watching the missing pieces Briggs segment, if you look at the opening shot with Betty and Garland, to his left (screen right), you see one of those funky corner windows that are apparent in the photo above. This would indicate that they are near the window on the right of the exterior photo... and Laura comes in the door on the left of the photo... near the back of the house a bit.

Thoughts?
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

bosguy1981 wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:TERESA BANKS -
Well I got J.B.'d by this guy up your way, and I had a thought about it...

What J.B. stands for?
Sometimes it's slang for "jailbait" which could work if she's describing herself in relation to Leland maybe? I dunno.
Nah, I don't believe they are saying JB to mean Jailbait. "JB out" is a term for when someone doesn't follow through with an activity. Here's the UrbanDictionary.com entry for it (see number 2):
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=JB%20out
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by LostInTheMovies »

bosguy1981 wrote:Once everybody has seen the Missing Pieces, we must discuss the amazing Grace Zabriskie. She's insanely good in these scenes, and shows a side of Sarah Palmer I didn't know existed. It's really something.

And without getting specific, let me just say the moment of her standing next to the piano in the Missing Pieces... probably my new favorite Sarah Palmer "moment." Insane and amazing. She's one of a kind.
Very much agreed. You really get new insight into her character with these scenes.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

BobCooper wrote:I loved the Lynch/Palmers interview too, watching that actually made me hopeful about the franchise having a future.
I just hope he works with Sheryl Lee again! It would be great to see him collaborate with Wise and Zabriskie too (though of course we did get to see her in Inland Empire - lover her part in that) but he and Lee made magic together.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I played with the A/V setting and the audio and visual match when the sound is slowed down by about 100 milliseconds. It's a cool feature on my player but I shouldn't have to use it.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Ross wrote:Lastly, I was a little surprised that so many scenes played without music. And I realize none of these scenes had music until Lynch did his restoration. So perhaps that would have taken more time, or he just liked them without. But for me, some of them seemed a little unfinished because of that, and in my opinion, could have been elevated even more with music. Its just a stark contrast to the music-heavy series, and the intricate sound design of FWWM.
I suspect that, as with the "More Things That Happened" feature for Inland Empire, the presentation is as much an aesthetic decision as a practical limitation. Note to how the Missing Pieces favor wide masters and long takes - I doubt that all these scenes were cut out at the assembly stage and given the quality of the available negative I assume Lynch could have recut them to match the tempo of the film - but he didn't. Instead he created a standalone experience with its very own mood and tone. Personally, I love this. But anybody who attempts a fanedit is going to hell of a time making these pieces fit! They clearly aren't designed to.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Rami Airola wrote:I can also agree that the scene with Laura under the fan is at the same time hugely mesmerizing and creepy as hell. That's perhaps the only scene I really wondered why it was cut out of the final film. I would even go so far as to say that if I should pick just one, the most important thing, from the deleted scenes that should've been in the film, that was it.
I have a feeling it was not originally intended to unfold as it does in the "Missing Pieces" (anyone who has more concrete info on this, I'd love to know - though of course Lynch and Sweeney are famously mum on the subject of why/how they cut sequences certain ways). The unfolding of the still shots dissolving over one another feels much more like digital/21st-c. era Lynch, something he came up with with compiling the scenes recently rather than back in '92.

As for why it's not in FWWM, I wonder if they felt it was best to keep Bob's presence linked to Leland as much as possible.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Ross wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:So the scene at Bobby's house with the Briggs parents... that's not the same house as the pilot or the series set, right? Ross? :wink:

I'm assuming they just grabbed somebody's house in WA to film that? Looks more like a real home, and not a set.
They don't show the outside, so nothing to match there. The pilot filmed in a real house in WA- but the kitchen in the Missing Pieces doesn't match that one at all, so its a safe bet its a different location. The series only showed the dining room a couple times and the living room once. These were sets, and this living room doesn't match the set. I assume, like you, this is an altogether different, actual (not set) location used just for FWWM.
I always assumed this was the Briggs' house :?

Yep!! It is. Above, when I said, "They don't show the outside, so nothing to match there.", I meant they didn't show it in the Missing Pieces, so nothing to match to the series.

The unused shot posted by rewak was also shot for the series, but discarded in favor of the one used.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
underthefan wrote:Does anyone know where I can buy Dean Hurley and Thought Gang tracks from The Missing Pieces? I can't seem to find David Lynch's music store on his site, if it even still exists.
Yeah, would like that too
Agreed (of course). I love for the music site to return!!!

bosguy1981 wrote:I just realized that amazing 2-minute "Missing Pieces" teaser trailer from a couple months ago is included on Disc 10 of the Bluray set as one of the special features. SO grateful they included that.
Agreed. Was so happy when I saw that, as the trailer is amazing.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

http://www.oocities.org/fwwmfight/

Remember this you guys? I can't believe that these scenes are finally available!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

jlyon1515 wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:TERESA BANKS -
Well I got J.B.'d by this guy up your way, and I had a thought about it...

What J.B. stands for?
Sometimes it's slang for "jailbait" which could work if she's describing herself in relation to Leland maybe? I dunno.
Nah, I don't believe they are saying JB to mean Jailbait. "JB out" is a term for when someone doesn't follow through with an activity. Here's the UrbanDictionary.com entry for it (see number 2):
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=JB%20out
ii. to claim that you can't go do an activity, like a P****

Yeah, that sounds about right :lol:
Thanks Jared
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Ross wrote: Yep!! It is. Above, when I said, "They don't show the outside, so nothing to match there.", I meant they didn't show it in the Missing Pieces, so nothing to match to the series.

The unused shot posted by rewak was also shot for the series, but discarded in favor of the one used.
Oh my bad then :)

I just checked the scene in the pilot and the scene in FWWM and yes, it's definitely not the same kitchen.
So they shot in the interior of the house they used for exterior shots in the show.