Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kafard
RR Diner Member

Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Discussion

Post by kafard »

And I am really sorry to give you some bad news, the central point is MK2! They still own the rights for the movie... From what I know... May be John Neff is aware about something new, don't know... Somebody can ask him may be...
Last edited by kafard on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
A french little guy named : Dam.
Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Discussion

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:They are still working on the extras.
Deleted scenes from the series would be amazing. (More than were included on the gold box)

Of course the "Previously & Next on" segments that were missing from the gold box would be great as well.

And if they DO include FWWM, I sure hope they fix the audio in the Partyland scene to how it played in theaters.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Dustin DeWinn

Post by Dustin DeWinn »

I have no idea why MK2 is so f**king obstinate about this. They know we want it, and they know we'll pay for it. It's been bugging the crap out of me that this hasn't happened.

The equivalent release anxiety I had was over Christopher Nolan's "Following." That was his first feature, but he did 3 short film before that. One of them is easily accessibly within 10 seconds of searching for it, but the other 2 are enigmatic and unseen. When Criterion re-released the movie on DVD and BR, everyone was anxiously anticipating the inclusion of at least the other 2 films. It would be fitting to because it was his first movie. But nope...nothing happened. And pretty much that was our last legitimate chance to see them. There were rumors of the Criterion release for close to 4 years, so it was 4 years of daily obsessing.

FWWM is giving me the same anxiety. What makes the deleted scenes so tantalizing is more of the mystery surrounding them. Once we have them and see them, no matter how great they are, it won't measure up to our eagerness to see them. We've been delaying gratification for more than 2 decades.

So I really hope they're released in this in some form or another. I don't give a crap if the French release doesn't have them as long as an American release does (or some other country has them).
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I predict happy times ahead.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Dustin DeWinn wrote:What makes the deleted scenes so tantalizing is more of the mystery surrounding them. Once we have them and see them, no matter how great they are, it won't measure up to our eagerness to see them. We've been delaying gratification for more than 2 decades.
Agree with this 100%. It will be really hard to live up to expectations, especially after so long. But there is such an aura of mystery behind them- even though we've seen the script. What makes FWWM so unique is that so many characters were cut completely. So unlike deleted material from other films, we have no idea what many of these characters even look like in the film! Judging from the one photo of Josie that MIGHT be from the film, her hair is much longer, etc. What about Lucy, Nadine, etc.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Another thing is that if they don't release all the deleted scenes, people will continue to scream for those as well.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Dustin DeWinn

Post by Dustin DeWinn »

Ross wrote:
Dustin DeWinn wrote:What makes the deleted scenes so tantalizing is more of the mystery surrounding them. Once we have them and see them, no matter how great they are, it won't measure up to our eagerness to see them. We've been delaying gratification for more than 2 decades.
Agree with this 100%. It will be really hard to live up to expectations, especially after so long. But there is such an aura of mystery behind them- even though we've seen the script. What makes FWWM so unique is that so many characters were cut completely. So unlike deleted material from other films, we have no idea what many of these characters even look like in the film! Judging from the one photo of Josie that MIGHT be from the film, her hair is much longer, etc. What about Lucy, Nadine, etc.
I have a theory that if TP had run it's full course as Lynch and Frost hoped it would, taking it on the trajectory they wanted, spanning as many seasons as needed, the show would still be good, but wouldn't have the cult following it does. Ironically, it has such a massive, salivating bunch of fans because there is as much mystery surrounding the show itself than it did within that universe. The film is part of that excitement.
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

Dustin DeWinn wrote:if the French release doesn't have them as long as an American release does (or some other country has them).
Your last line doesn't have sense at all if you know the story of how was made FWWM...
You still don't have an U.S Blu-Ray disc release of FWWM so...
Dustin DeWinn

Post by Dustin DeWinn »

kafard wrote:
Dustin DeWinn wrote:if the French release doesn't have them as long as an American release does (or some other country has them).
Your last line doesn't have sense at all if you know the story of how was made FWWM...
You still don't have an U.S Blu-Ray disc release of FWWM so...
Yeah, I didn't phrase that too well. In my defense I was being a bit smug, but let me try that again...

What I meant was I don't know the legality of who owns what or how permissions are obtained, but it's my understanding MK2 has no interest in releasing the deleted scenes for whatever reason. But if the UK, Japanese, American release has them and the French release doesn't, I'm fine with that. If other studios find a way to do it, great, and MK2 can still hoard them.

It was a smug and half-joking comment.
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

Dustin DeWinn wrote:
I have a theory that if TP had run it's full course as Lynch and Frost hoped it would, taking it on the trajectory they wanted, spanning as many seasons as needed, the show would still be good, but wouldn't have the cult following it does. Ironically, it has such a massive, salivating bunch of fans because there is as much mystery surrounding the show itself than it did within that universe. The film is part of that excitement.
In theory may be...
In fact, the U.S.A in 1989-90 was not ready for a Tv show like Twin Peaks that is why it has been canceled.
In europe we were more open-minded for more seasons and this is why the movie has been done, because the european understood it better ... they want to know more about Twin Peaks at this period of time.

All you wanted to know in U.S.A was to know about "who killed Laura Palmer", in other countries that wasn't the case, they feel that it was something else that a simple murder story.

(Michael Horse explained it with the right words in an interview...)

And, my little theory : why in europe we have a different pilot episode on VHS? We already know about Bob! He did it! But why???
We already wanted mooooore!
Last edited by kafard on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

Dustin DeWinn wrote:
It was a smug and half-joking comment.
Oh Ok! I get it!
I will be fine too if in U.S or in other countries the deleted scenes were released, don't worry !
My DVD players can read more than one region, they are opened to the world for those scenes!
but yeah...
Anyway, we just have to wait now...
Dustin DeWinn

Post by Dustin DeWinn »

kafard wrote:
Dustin DeWinn wrote:
In theory may be...
In fact, the U.S.A in 1989-90 was not ready for a Tv show like Twin Peaks that is why it has been canceled.
In europe we were more open-minded for more seasons and this is why the movie has been done, because the european understood it better ... they want to know more about Twin Peaks at this period of time.

All you wanted to know in U.S.A was to know about "who killed Laura Palmer", in other countries that wasn't the case, they feel that it was something else that a simple murder story.

(Michael Horse explained it with the right words in an interview...)

And, my little theory : why in europe we have a different pilot episode on VHS? We already know about Bob! He did it! But why???
We already wanted mooooore!
I blew through a disc or more a night when I rented from Netflix. They have the Gold Box edition. Because I didn't want to rent disc 1 again, I ended up watching the euro pilot the first night which was a mistake because of spoilers, but it wasn't too bad. Just introduced people early. But still ruined it for me A LITTLE
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

Dustin DeWinn wrote:
I blew through a disc or more a night when I rented from Netflix. They have the Gold Box edition. Because I didn't want to rent disc 1 again, I ended up watching the euro pilot the first night which was a mistake because of spoilers, but it wasn't too bad. Just introduced people early. But still ruined it for me A LITTLE
I watched the episode pilot with the european cut just in the middle of the first season.
For me, Bob was the killer ; not doubt about that. But who he was, how he did it ; it was still a mistery to me. To watch the european pilot didn't ruin the show for me either, on the contrary I was more intrigued by the "abstract" plot and not so much with the "gossip" aspect.
When I learnt that it was his father (spoilerrrr) in my head that was : "uhm... Okay, but who is bob?!" "Where is he?" "What he is?".
And the answers are in the end of the Tv show. Simple, no? :)

So, I'm happy that Twin Peaks the serie "only" had 2 seasons. And I really don't know why people want a third season... excepted to know what happens with Cooper and Annie, but what else, Georges?!
Or Laura, 25 years later? Whaaaat?!

The movie, for me, is the perfect ending, it shows us how will be "Laura" 25 years later : an ancomplished woman who faces the "devil" of the life, and she was (I think) already more a woman than the other girls of her age and the "evil" knows that... She represents almost all the woman (Complicated to explain... and I don't want to explain, I just keep it for myself. After all, we can understand what we want... :-D)

So..! , if these deleted scenes say "Hi!" one day that will be a + for the world of Twin Peaks but a minor +, like a candy, no more no less.
The real + will be (may be) the deleted scenes of the Tv show.

For me, all has been said for Twin Peaks and be a small inner world apart with its mythology.
That is, may be, why I do not consider myself as a fan of Twin Peaks because I don't want more of it. It is just enough.
A little candy in more? Sure, why not. But I will not run for it.
curzon

Post by curzon »

Ross wrote:
kafard wrote:
missoulamt wrote:It hasn't been confirmed if FWWM + deleted scenes will be part of the Bluray release in April?
Nope. I didn't hear anything about that clearly. Only rumors...
No. Deleted scenes have NOT been confirmed in any way officially. We were hoping to hear something yesterday (as rumors suggested). But it looks like more waiting...
That's exactly the point. Why don't they confirm anything? The deleted scenes would be the major selling point to promote the complete box. But nothing. Cause they won't add???
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

kafard wrote:...the U.S.A in 1989-90 was not ready for a Tv show like Twin Peaks that is why it has been canceled.
I think, had Twin Peaks been a more recent HBO show, it would comfortably have run 10-12 episodes a season for seven years. The reason the first season did so well was, in part, down to the tightly-focused eight-ish episodes (seven episodes and a film.) I feel the show struggled with the demands of 22-26 episode seasons.

I'd love a return to Twin Peaks as there are so many stories left to tell about the town and it's inhabitants. The Laura Palmer story, perhaps, has run its course, but there are more stories to tell in the woods. I mean, the town had 50,000-plus inhabitants. We don't necessarily have to focus on all of the same ones for a new show. Maybe Hawk will be Sheriff now and Truman the Mayor. Maybe Ronette Pulaski is a Deputy Sheriff. The Dale Cooper mystery could be something hinted at that the characters won't discuss out of fear. Or, if Laura is to be referenced, maybe Sheryl Lee can play an amnesiac woman found walking across a bridge who thinks she might be Laura Palmer, days after Laura's grave is desecrated...

There's so much that could be done. Maybe Netflix can persuade David Lynch to do something. ;)

Every time a Twin Peaks-style show turns up, I roll my eyes an ask why they can't just do a new series of a Twin Peaks. And I guess the FWWM deleted scenes, right now, are as near to that happening as can be.