17 years ago today......... Some Norwegian TP memories

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

17 years ago today......... Some Norwegian TP memories

Post by MysteryMan »

Tonight, Saturday 17th of November, exactly 17 years ago both to the date and day, was my first encounter with Twin Peaks. The first episode (aka the pilot) aired on Norwegian TV Saturday 17th of November, 1990. That is where I was born and grew up. I was 15 years old and had only read about the TV series in the papers that week and wasn't really sure what to expect. I remember in Norway's biggest newspaper they had a headline that said "TV series that says sex". Naturally, I was intrigued. Looking back, I am very surprised my parents let me stay up watching it with them. However I don't think any of us knew what to expect, as we weren't familiar with any of David Lynch's work from before. at that time I think I had only vaguely heard about "Blue Velvet". Anyway, from the first tunes emananting from the TV set of the Twin Peaks Theme next to the beautiful shots from locations in TP with the credits over it, I was sold. It was love at first. I was intrigued with everything in the series....

Here are the air dates for the remaining episodes in Norway:

Friday 23/11: Episode 1
Saturday 24/11: Episode 2
Friday 30/11: Episode 3
Saturday 1/12: Episode 4
Friday 7/12: Episode 5
Saturday 8/12: Episode 6
Friday 14/12: Episode 7

Then it took a little break with Christmas just around the corner and returned with the new season just at the beginning of the new year...1991:

Friday 4/1: Episode 8 (including a 10-minute recap of everything that happned in the first season which I have sadly never seen again anywhere....)
Friday 11/1: Episode 9

Then no episode on 18/1 as our King Olav died on that day and showing TP would understandably not be appropriate... Instead we got a double episode on 25/1....

Friday 25/1: Episodes 10+11 combined
Friday 1/2: Episode 12
Friday 8/2: Episode 13
Friday 15/2: Episode 14
Friday 22/2: Episode 15
Friday 1/3: Episode 16
Friday 8/3: Episode 17
Friday 15/3: Episode 18
Friday 22/3: Episode 19
Friday 29/3: Episode 20
Friday 5/4: Episode 21
Friday 12/4: Episode 22
Friday 19/4: Episode 23
Friday 26/4: Episode 24
Friday 3/5: Episode 25
Friday 10/5: Episode 26
Friday 17/5: Episode 27

Again there was a break in the schedule and TP didn't return to Norwegian TV until June as they were not allowed to show the remaining 2 episodes until after it had premiered on American television...

Friday 14/6: Episode 28
Friday 21/6: Episode 29

Can't wait to get my hands on the new gold dvd box set now to relive the mystery.....
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Cool! I love time travels like this. I was a bit too young at the time (9 years old; but a girl I knew, born the same year, was hooked). I remember my parents had a major row after my dad let me watch Bergerac around the same time. Poirot was okay, though. :)

Interesting that it was postponed because of Olav's death. You have a good memory.

-Even fra Oslo
PS: "TV-serie som sier sex" sounds like Dagbladet. Sadly the terrible (and rampant) pun of the headline is lost on the non-Norwegian speakers. :)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Evenreven wrote:Cool! I love time travels like this. I was a bit too young at the time (9 years old; but a girl I knew, born the same year, was hooked). I remember my parents had a major row after my dad let me watch Bergerac around the same time. Poirot was okay, though. :)

Interesting that it was postponed because of Olav's death. You have a good memory.

-Even fra Oslo
PS: "TV-serie som sier sex" sounds like Dagbladet. Sadly the terrible (and rampant) pun of the headline is lost on the non-Norwegian speakers. :)
I think it was VG who had that headline as a matter of fact.

I think I have a rather selective memory actually. Always been able to remember down to the smallest details with the things that really interest me.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Det måtte være enten Dagbladet eller VG. Jeg hørte faktisk uttrykket "...som sier seks" for første gang i sin egentlige betydning nå nylig. "En plate som sier seks", for eksempel. Ikke mye brukt lenger, men bastarden er dessverre i bruk hos tabloidavisene.

Sorry for the incomprehensible interlude, people. :)
guest315
Roadhouse Member

Post by guest315 »

Last edited by guest315 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

I bought R2 today too. Just finished watching the extras. What can I say...I grew up with twin peaks and this was overwhelming. I have no words for what I'm feeling right now. 17 years of waiting is over and I've finally found peace. Twin Peaks is now complete. I want to thank everyone involved with both the series itself and the dvd edition. Amazing work! The best!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

It's so appropriate that we have a special thread for the Norweigans!
I love you guys!!!!!!!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

If you don't behave nicely, we're leaving! :)
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey, I "work" here! I'm always nice!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Re: 17 years ago today......... Some Norwegian TP memories

Post by Christian1989 »

To all you Norwegians on this board - TP on Norwegian television once again! TV2 begynner å sende Twin Peaks i morgen 23.40. Det ser ikke ut som om de skal sende piloten dog, ettersom det står at det er ferdig 00.30, så det ser ut til at de begynner rett på episode 1 av en eller annen merkelig grunn. Hehe :)
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Idiotisk. Men litt morsomt at de sender det. Spesielt etter at TV3 har sendt det i år etter år på fine tidspunkter som 02:40 natt til mandag.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

What's idiotic about this broadcast?
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Last edited by Christian1989 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest315
Roadhouse Member

Post by guest315 »

Last edited by guest315 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
guest315
Roadhouse Member

Post by guest315 »

Last edited by guest315 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.