FWWM in the "Complete Mystery" Set

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Derf Elot

FWWM in the "Complete Mystery" Set

Post by Derf Elot »

i will wait for the "complete mystery" set due in october because i also want that FWWM release as well as a remastered pilot. does anyone know if the FWWM included will contain the deleted scenes or if this is restricted only to that french release of the movie?

the release schedule of paramount is really a shame for TP collectors, especially those that already have the region 2 season 1 set like me. for a remastered pilot you have to wait until october, which will basically replace the whole season 1 set. for those that are more anxious than me to get season 2 and buy the region 2 sets now and in april (i've waited this long, i might just as well wait until october), they will probably also buy the "complete mystery" for the sake of having the remastered pilot and FWWM. i am sure there will be plenty of people in the end that will have bought the season 1 set, the season 2 set as well as the complete series. quite a scheme they are pulling off here.

i sincerely hope the FWWM will include the deleted scenes. if it doesn't i guess i will have to end up buying the french release as well. talk about having everything double and triple...
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I'm thinking FWWM might not be included since it is owned by MK2. Unless Paramount make a deal with MK2 which could definately happen. For sure, the Season 1 & 2 will be put in 1 box by the end of the year as advertised by Amazon.de. Almost definately will the Pilot be remastered. It's likely that the Season 1 episodes might also get remastered as well. Even though they looked great, Lynch was not very happy with the box set as he was not involved with the transfers.

Guess we will have to wait and see.

-B
Derf Elot

Post by Derf Elot »

that would be a shame. i read on several occasions that FWWM will be included, such as here: http://www.widescreen-online.de/?article_id=536881 (sorry, it's in german)

edit: interestingly that article also says it will be available on the 1st of march :?
Simon

Post by Simon »

If FWWM is released in this set with deleted scenes, I would be very surprised if it wasn't available on its own. I reckon the 'French' MK2 release is about as good as it's going to get short of deleted scenes. One other possibility for an extra which might drive me to buy FWWM again would be if they did an extended interview with Lynch of the type that accompanies the Region 2 special edition release of Lost Highway (of course, the best thing would be a commentary track, but that will never happen).
I hope your predictions about the mega boxed set are wrong - it would be pretty unfair to all the fans who have been buying the DVDs up to now, and are ordering Season 2 DVDs immediately, not only because they can't wait to see them, but also as a statement to the studio(s) concerned that there is enough demand for these releases to be commercially viable (if season 2 DVDs make a good amount of money, it might help persuade the studios that it's worth spending money on getting FWWM right).

I'm starting to be a little wary about being too much of a 'completist' about Lynch/Twin Peaks DVDs, because of the fact that HD releases of certain movies (Mulholland Drive if I remember right) are being prepared, and in 10 years time the standard DVDs might seem as inferior as videotapes do now...

Edit: Derf Elot - since you can read German, can you tell us why the Season 2.1 DVD release has been getting mixed reviews over at amazon.de? Someone said "das keinerlei Bonusfeatures." Is it just the lack of extras, or are there other gripes too? And do you know if any extras are planned for the 'Complete Mystery' set which are not included on the January and April releases?
Thanks!
Last edited by Simon on Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Very interesting about FWWM being in the set. I'll look into it and let you know if I hear anything on it.

At the very least, when they release the Season 1 and 2 box sets together, they will have (or might I say SHOULD) have all new extras.

I hate double and tripple dipping on DVDs but what are you gonna do? :)

-B
Derf Elot

Post by Derf Elot »

as for the bad reviews over at amazon.de:

indeed, many give it a bad review due to the lack of bonus material (though I understand the second part will have those). but much more crucial seems to be that fact that the german audio is horrible apperantly. some people have trouble even understanding what is said. it appears to be "metallic" and recorded "with a donut infront of the mic" someone said :)

in the end, it wouldn't concern me at all really, as i wouldnt watch this with german audio anyways :wink:

edit: someone also claims that the picture quality is not as good as on the 1st season, though the comparison linked to on the dugpa site to me seems to prove otherwise.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks a lot Derf. I wondered if the dubbing might have been the problem, in which case, fantastic, because I won't be listening to it either (I bet Lynch is pleased - he hates dubbing anyway, and if he can't avoid having it on the DVDs, I bet he's happy if it's so bad that people would rather just read the subtitles).
Now I'm no longer so worried (I should be getting the DVDs from amazon in the next few days)
gregoreverb

Post by gregoreverb »

Will this "complete set" be released in the US?
Derf Elot

Post by Derf Elot »

from all i know, yes
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

So if I understand things correctly there will be

1. Part 1 of season 2 in january
2. Part 2 of season 2 in april
3. Season 1 and 2 in october with remastered pilot and maybe FWWM w/deleted scenes.

By the way...FWWM will be released here in Norway on the same day as part 2 of season 2.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I love the idea of the "Complete Mystery Set."

I haven't switched over to all DVDs yet, so it would be perfect!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

I bought the season 2.1 from Germany on e-bay and the sound is very good. It is 5.1 surround sound, the other languages including German are only in 2 channel
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

gregoreverb wrote:Will this "complete set" be released in the US?
I really doubt it.

Though here's something odd: Netflix pulled Season 1 from circulation just before Season 2 arrived! I sent them a long email asking for answers but haven't heard back.

There are rumors that Season 1 will be re-released, hopefully with the Pilot.

I think the American distributers will milk the market for all it's worth, and a Complete Set won't be released here until they re-release Season 1, and then maybe the Pilot seperately.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

I didn't want to wait any longer so in Feb, pre-ordered Season 2, and bought Season 1 and the awful Pilot on eBay, for a pretty penny.
"Do you see creamed corn on that plate?"
> Enter The Lodge
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

After waiting five years and seeing numerous release dates come and go I'm just happy to have season two on DVD. I'm not too bothered about the (lack of) special features and (poor) packaging. Even with expedited shipping and import duties my R1 set was still better value than the fuzzy, muffled, over-priced VHS tapes. As much as I'd like to have interviews, featurettes, archive footage etc. owning Twin Peaks on a relatively indestructible format with gorgeous sound and picture quality is all the incentive I need.

I'm not happy about the way Paramount announced the Complete Mystery set at the same time as season two, but to be fair (most) die-hard Twin Peaks fans already own season one and FWWM on DVD. I'm amazed people are complaining about season one being deleted when they've had five whole years to buy a copy. I have the R2 season 1 box set (with pilot) and the R1 season 2 box. I'm happy with the sound and picture quality and am only buying future releases for the special features.

It's highly unlikely FWWM would have the deleted scenes and I don't even think it's in Paramount's best interests to include FWWM in the box set. The entire set would require a higher rating because of FWWM. Also, I think FWWM deserves better. I'd rather it was re-released in its own right, with care taken over presentation and special features.

Nearly all of David Lynch's films are available with fantastic sound and picture quality, and decent featurettes. If companies want to release more, profitable editions in future they're going to have to make an effort with the special features. I own five different versions of FWWM and the special editions available at the moment aren't that special. Unless the next release includes the deleted scenes I'm not going to hand over any more money for old rope.
New Shoes

Post by New Shoes »

worthit wrote: By the way...FWWM will be released here in Norway on the same day as part 2 of season 2.
I bought FWWM a couple of years ago, although it hasn't got subtitles. I've also seen a special edition in the shelves (for almost a year now I think).

It's probably better to have a subtitled version though, to catch all the details.