Twin Peaks pilot remaster?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Simon

Twin Peaks pilot remaster?

Post by Simon »

Hello everyone.
Great to have a forum which hopefully will be reasonably active (the one over at davidlynch.de gets about 20 posts per year by the look of it.)

I have a question about the Twin Peaks DVD remasters which I'm hoping someone can help me out with:
I have the Region 2 DVD set of Series 1 that includes the pilot episode. Now the pilot remaster is in much worse quality than the rest of the series, which looks beautiful (although it looks as though series 2 is an even better remaster!) The weird thing is that at the beginning of episode 1 (ie the one after the pilot), at the beginning they have the usual "previously on twin peaks..." montage, with clips from the pilot - these are restored to the quality of the rest of the series, much better than they looked in the pilot. I assume the sound on these clips is also in digital 5.1, while the sound for the pilot was only dolby surround.
So, my question is, does anyone know why the pilot was not restored to the same quality as the rest of series 1, how it came to be that clips from it were restored to that higher quality for the episdode 1 montage, and whether there are any plans to restore the whole episode?

Thanks!
goodguyseatpie

Post by goodguyseatpie »

I suspect that the "Previously on Twin Peaks..." montages were copied and cut to be attached to each episode individually. When an episode is remastered, the montage gets reworked too, which would be why those clips were remastered on the first episode, but not on the pilot.

When season one was released there were so many rights issues with the pilot, that I wouldn't be surprised if that's why it didn't get remastered for the region 2 sets.

I truly hope that the pilot will get remastered this time and released sometime this year. My poor imported PAL-transfer DVD just doesn't look as nice as the other discs.
Derf Elot

Post by Derf Elot »

from what i understood, the "complete mystery" package coming out in october (FWWM/S1/S2) WILL include a remastered pilot. i cannot recall however if i read it anywhere officially or if i was told by hear-say.
Rodrick

Post by Rodrick »

At the Q and A in Seattle last week Lynch said the rights were still held by another company so he did not think the pilot would be included in a TP Season One set any time soon.

If I recall, Warner Bros put out the movie version of the pilot on VHS. Perhaps they still retain US rights?
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

One wonders what the rights holder hopes to achieve by withholding the copyright? They aren't waiting for more money are they?
killphil

Post by killphil »

How would the region 2 set play here in the US on a region free DVD player. Do I need a PAL TV or will the player compensate for this?
Juan Franela

Post by Juan Franela »

The absence of a top-notch Region 1 transfer of the pilot is a travesty. How does Lynch sleep at night?
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present."