Rainy Woods - Twin Peaks Ripoff Game

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

More to the point - vetoed by Lara Flynn Boyle!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

she must have had maclachlan's balls in a very tiny jar to be able to steer the series like that. donna was totally expendable after leland dies.
jos4

Post by jos4 »

Brad D wrote:jos, i am pretty sure the cooper/audrey storyline was vetoed by maclachlan, and it was supposed to be the main story arc after leland dies. audrey being kidnapped by earle would have been so much better. :(
I totally agree.

When I first saw Twin Peaks it seemed pretty obvious to me that the Audrey-Coop relationship was going to reach its high point in the second season (you know, when Audrey got kidnapped Coop said to Diane something like "I can't stop thinking in her smile"), but suddenly, Audrey gets rescued and they split up with no apparent reason.

I could never understand this, nor the fact that they actually fell in love with other new characters (that young guy and the blonde girl) just some days later. IMO, that felt pretty weird.

Dammit, it would have been great to see Audrey in the Black Lodge!! :x

Hey, sorry if my english isn't good enough, it's not my mother tongue!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Twin Peaks is a town of 50,000-plus people. In a sense, in a franchise called 'Twin Peaks,' you can tell pretty much any story about any number of people in the town!

As has been said before, if there are more stories to be told, I want to see them! There are some nasty remarks about Buffy fans here on the forum. I'm 32 and went into the TV/film business because TP was such a huge influence on me (I'm sat at a computer in a production company's office in London now!) and I'm a huge fan of Buffy and Angel as well. We all know that the Buffy show was heavily influenced by TP (the Hellmouth, for example!) so it's little wonder Buffy fans, post-series, have got interested in the likes of TP.

Surely that's a good thing? If TP is to be remembered and, kind of, kept alive, new generations need to discover it! When people make remarks about not liking the new people coming to the fan forums and so on, they are effectively placing a plastic bag on the face of TP and smothering it. TP is a great franchise and great art.

The desire to see more TP comes from enthusiasm, not the wish to 'shred the canvas!'
MarcusofaDown

Post by MarcusofaDown »

I absolutely understand what you're saying here, but there's still the problem of people actually, seriously thinking newly produced TP-material will match the original. It won't, in any way, shape or form.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

One question....Why couldn't it be as good or better ???? Everybody is still doing good work individually. I don't think anybody wants them to pick up the story with Coop staring into the mirror with MacLachlans hair colored jet black, picking up the story many years later as was originally planned would only be more plausable now than then.
And with all respect to Jack Nance, Pete Martell was in no way essential to Twin Peaks, I'm not saying i didn't enjoy the character but seriosuly, that's a lame argument for not wanting a sequel. Frank Silva is more problematic but i'm sure there are more evil spirits lurking around and other denim clad actors that can put on a white wig. Recasting the part of Donna turned out to be a huge improvement.
MarcusofaDown

Post by MarcusofaDown »

eyeboogers wrote:One question....Why couldn't it be as good or better ???? Everybody is still doing good work individually. I don't think anybody wants them to pick up the story with Coop staring into the mirror with MacLachlans hair colored jet black, picking up the story many years later as was originally planned would only be more plausable now than then.
And with all respect to Jack Nance, Pete Martell was in no way essential to Twin Peaks, I'm not saying i didn't enjoy the character but seriosuly, that's a lame argument for not wanting a sequel. Frank Silva is more problematic but i'm sure there are more evil spirits lurking around and other denim clad actors that can put on a white wig. Recasting the part of Donna turned out to be a huge improvement.
Why couldn't it be as good? Well... I think I just answered some of that in an earlier post, didn't I?

- The show relied heavily on the chemistry set between actors and directors. That's not something you can just expect to come back.
- Lynch doesn't want to continue the story arch. 'nuff said.
- Everyone involved and every possible viewer would not see TP the way they did back in the day. It would be compared to what has already been done, and not in a good way. It would TP trying to be TP.

I honestly don't know what to say when you're obviously up to replacing/ignoring KEY characters as BOB and Pete. Pete in no way essential!? Have you even watched the show?

Basically, what you're saying is that you'd be happy to see Twin Peaks WITHOUT Lynch, Pete or Bob (or at least re-casting)? Jeez.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I don't want a nostalgia trip i want innovative storytelling. "Twin Peaks" was already brought back to life once as Fire Walk With Me if you think that ruined the show for you that's a shame but i really enjoyed the film. if you did enjoy the film that's all the proof you need that a Twin Peaks story doesn't have to include every single familiar element in order to be as good or better than the original series. And I'm sorry but the series could have gone on had the character of Pete Martell not survived the bomb in the bank vault. Jack Nance nailed the performance but the character was never vital to the plot.

Being afraid of change has never been what Lynch is about. As for a version without Lynch at the helm i think you are being very disrepectful to the other creators of the show. Mark Frost and Harley Peyton have done amazing work since then and if you read Frost's "The list of 7" you might realise exactly what kind of elements he brought to the TP universe. It wasn't the way mainstream media portrayed it that Lynch brought a bunch of kooky stuff to the table and boring Frost tried to ground it in plot. Frost is capable of making up a very compelling mythology on his own, and Harley Peytons dialouge is one of the most under appreciated aspects of "Twin Peaks" he really gave the show it's voice.(next time you see the series try to pay attention to how Cooper's character evolves in the first Peyton scripted episode, before then he's a little bit cranky and very much a smart ass.)
MarcusofaDown

Re: ...

Post by MarcusofaDown »

eyeboogers wrote:I don't want a nostalgia trip i want innovative storytelling. "Twin Peaks" was already brought back to life once as Fire Walk With Me if you think that ruined the show for you that's a shame but i really enjoyed the film. if you did enjoy the film that's all the proof you need that a Twin Peaks story doesn't have to include every single familiar element in order to be as good or better than the original series. And I'm sorry but the series could have gone on had the character of Pete Martell not survived the bomb in the bank vault. Jack Nance nailed the performance but the character was never vital to the plot.

Being afraid of change has never been what Lynch is about. As for a version without Lynch at the helm i think you are being very disrepectful to the other creators of the show. Mark Frost and Harley Peyton have done amazing work since then and if you read Frost's "The list of 7" you might realise exactly what kind of elements he brought to the TP universe. It wasn't the way mainstream media portrayed it that Lynch brought a bunch of kooky stuff to the table and boring Frost tried to ground it in plot. Frost is capable of making up a very compelling mythology on his own, and Harley Peytons dialouge is one of the most under appreciated aspects of "Twin Peaks" he really gave the show it's voice.(next time you see the series try to pay attention to how Cooper's character evolves in the first Peyton scripted episode, before then he's a little bit cranky and very much a smart ass.)
When have I ever said I disliked FWWM? I'm really quite confused here... It's one of my top five favorite films of all time.

Have I said TP has to include every single familiar element? Even more confused now.

What I said was, that I would never want to see TP without Lynch, because he WAS the show. Yes, Mark Frost and Harley Peyton brought a tremendous amount of good stuff to the show, but it was after all Lynch's directing that made it what it was, and also his input on the plot.

I also said that TP without Bob is something I'd never want to see. This because he was just as important a character as Cooper, Leland or Laura. He was NOT just some "creepy spirit in denim jacket", he was so much more than that.

I also never called Mark Frost boring or anything like it. I did say he was the narrative backbone, and I still believe that. Is that the same as calling someone boring? I have the List of 7 infact and I know what Frost is capable of. Even so, it was Lynch's touch and not Frost, that made the show the legendary piece of television that it is.

Yes, Jack Nance nailed that performance, but what I still don't understand is how plot-obsessed you are. Pete did infact get involved with the "main plot" at several points, but if you know your TP, wich you obviously do, then you realise its not all about plot. I'd even go so far as to say that plot is secondary in many aspects of the show. The character of Pete had much to do with the other aspects of the show, besides just the main plot.
Hank_Jennings
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hank_Jennings »

I'm not particularly interested in any more Twin Peaks ideas, & I think the ending was perfect. It was a downer ending, but it fit the tone of the series IMO. In my mind, I don't think seeing Cooper rescued from The Black Lodge would work very well. Lynch could figure something out, but I still think its a better idea to leave things be. Personally, I think the ending to FWWM is a wonderful ending to everything.

On the subject of a continuation, I think with today's technology, a Twin Peaks video game could work. They could get the actor's appearances to look like their ages when Twin Peaks was made, aswell as, they could get permission to get the likenesses to Jack Nance & Frank Silva. Obviously, they cannot do voice overs, but it could possibly be done with immitators, even though it wouldn't be the same without them, atleast it could work if they were able to use their likenesses. As well as, the locations could be exactly the same back in 1990

The only problem I think is would be how it would work. Most video games rely on action. Twin Peaks isn't action based. The Godfather had awesome potential as a game, but instead, they turned it into an action game, when The Godfather isn't like that, & the game was a bit of a disappointment. A Twin Peaks game could work, but they'd have to be very careful about how they did it.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Hey all. Let's take the TP Continuation into a new topic:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4027#4027

This way we can continue to discuss Rainy Woods news in this topic.

Thanks!

-B
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

I am looking forward to playing this, if only because I am interested to see what they have done with the story

as for the NES game that never was, i read a blurb in a video game magazine around the time, it was the only time i remember reading about a TP game (scratch that Fangoria had mentioned it once as well)

What i remember them saying about it was that it would be done in RPG style and would involve you picking up clues and visiting buildings to ask questions on Laura's murder.

Too bad it never happened. Heck, maybe someone can do something like this now. I mean, that Columbine RPG can be made, why not someone doing up a rescue of Cooper game right?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Someone said a screen shot was done at the very least for old NES game. Any chance there's pictures of this floating around out there somewhere?

I'm a fan of adventure games, particularly old ones from Sierra and LucasArts. Anyone else?

I think Twin Peaks could make a great adventure game, in that it would be like an interactive novel.

I would definitely NOT be interested in a Twin Peaks action game!

I'm looking forward to ALAN WAKE but my laptop's old now so will prob have to buy a new one.
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Yeah, Jonah! I'm a huge adventure game fan! Lucasarts, Sierra, and Revolution created some of the greatest works of second person storytelling I've ever experienced. And Twin Peaks would meld BEAUTIFULLY as an adventure game, with only two problems...

There is no market for adventure games anymore. Everyone today is playing stupid shoot-em up games. So nevermind the niche market that TP would be in anyways, adventure games are unthinkable.

However, there are many online programs to make your own adventure games. How great would it be for a bunch of hardcore fans to do a fanfiction sequel game? I think that could be a lot of fun. And with only text and no voices, it would make it alot easier to deal with than poor impressions of the cast.

The other problem as I see it, though, is that adventure games, out of necessity, are singularly focused. Twin Peaks, being essentially a soap opera is absolutely not. In an adventure game you play as only one character, or maybe a couple. But still, Twin Peaks needs the constant focus changes.

Anyways, back to Rainy Woods, I think this would be really cool! ... if it didn't look like it was gonna be so bad.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Just watched trailers for ALAN WAKE on www.alanwake.com. God, they're amazing! Will they ever bloody release this game?

Another adventure game coming soon is A VAMPYRE STORY from former LucasArts writers/designers.

Loved the trailer - and the tagline: ADVENTURE GAMES ARE NOT DEAD! THEY'RE UNDEAD!

So there, Magician! :wink: :D