Did TP inflluence Lone Star (1996)?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Did TP inflluence Lone Star (1996)?

Post by mtwentz »

I recently did a rewatch of ‘Lone Star’ by John Sayles and for the first time it struck me how familiar parts of the story are:

A dead body is discovered in a small town. The sheriff searches for the truth of who killed this person. During his search, he discovers the town is filled with residents who have secrets of their own.

Ultimately the murder and identity of the killer are almost beside the point. It’s what is revealed about the town (in this case, race relations among white, Hispanic and black residents ) that is most interesting.

I Have searched the web but I can’t find any evidence Sayles was influenced by Lynch.

Obviously the similarities pretty much end there. But I still can’t help but notice the similarity in that basic narrative structure.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Did TP inflluence Lone Star (1996)?

Post by Jonah »

Haven't seen this in a while, but there are definitely similarities. Love John Sayles.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I've never watched any of it but supposedly Madchen Amick's show Riverdale is alot like Twin Peaks. Mystery surrounding a teens death, strange town etc.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

TwinsPeak wrote:I've never watched any of it but supposedly Madchen Amick's show Riverdale is alot like Twin Peaks. Mystery surrounding a teens death, strange town etc.
I read this as well. There are obviously a lot of Twin Peaks references in Riverdale, but don't make the same mistake as me and watch this.
The series is absolutely dreadful. Ugh.
"Your log and I are on the same page."