Would level of involvement from Lynch/Frost would you accept should the show continue?

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.

Would level of involvement from Lynch/Frost would you accept should the show continue?

I'm a fan of the show regardless of who's writing and directing it.
4%
I'm a fan of the show regardless of who's writing and directing it - BUT Lynch and Frost have to give their blessing.
No votes
Lynch and Frost must have some input (even if just writing/directing the first episode and a little creative input).
4%
Lynch and Frost must have a good deal of input and be guiding hands for the show, carefully hand-picking other writers and directors, plus Lynch needs to direct occasional, regular, or semi-regular episodes and Frost should occasionally write a lot of episodes.
21%
Every episode must be written by Lynch and Frost and every episode must be directed by Lynch, just like The Return.
71%

Total votes: 24
Jonah

Postby Jonah » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:17 am

Just curious what the consensus on this would be from fans, especially now. Has The Return set a new precedent that EVERY episode must be directed by Lynch and co-written by him and Frost? Or would you still be willing to watch the show if they collaborated with others or even took a backseat but gave their blessing to others? What's the minimum level of involvement you'd accept/expect to still watch?
mtwentz

Re: Would level of involvement from Lynch/Frost would you accept should the show continue?

Postby mtwentz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:38 am

Hmmmm...as long as what I watch is enjoyable, I will watch it. But as long as Lynch and Frost are both alive, I don’t think It is too likely to get any other combo of director/ writers. But then again, anything is possible. I never thought George Lucas would sell out to Disney.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
BGate

Re: Would level of involvement from Lynch/Frost would you accept should the show continue?

Postby BGate » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:30 am

I guess I would watch it if they were only nominally involved, but my level of excitement would be near zero.
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:10 am

Every episode must be written by Lynch and Frost and every episode must be directed by Lynch, just like The Return.

This is closest to my opinion, but I'd be OK with Lynch and Frost taking Peyton and/or Engels aboard to help with dialogue and whatnot.
ManBehindWinkies

Postby ManBehindWinkies » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:25 am

Before Season 3 I would have been happy with a setup similar to the original series... a writer's room with Lynch directing key episodes. But after the precedent set by Season 3 anything less than Frost and Lynch writing the whole thing and Lynch directing it all would be less than ideal. But I still think I'd be on board, hypothetically given it's unlikely, with the the former setup. The only thing that would really kill my interest would be if Lynch was not directing at all.
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:33 am

ManBehindWinkies wrote:Before Season 3 I would have been happy with a setup similar to the original series... a writer's room with Lynch directing key episodes. But after the precedent set by Season 3 anything less than Frost and Lynch writing the whole thing and Lynch directing it all would be less than ideal. But I still think I'd be on board, hypothetically given it's unlikely, with the the former setup. The only thing that would really kill my interest would be if Lynch was not directing at all.

Agreed. I would watch even if L/F were completely uninvolved, for at least a few episodes out of curiosity/loyalty to the brand, but anything less than the formula we got for S3 would be a disappointment for me on principle.
Agent Earle

Postby Agent Earle » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:04 pm

The less post-FWWM Lynch the better. The more pre-FWWM Lynch the better. Vote-wise, I went with the 4th option.
IcedOver

Postby IcedOver » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:41 pm

I don't support any continuation, but if it happened, it must only be Lynch-directed even if an additional writer is involved and even if Frost isn't involved. I can take or leave Frost having anything to do with it, but Lynch being the sole director is non-negotiable. Having anybody else come in is just silly, so totally ridiculous. It'd be going backwards. "Peaks" is now the world of S3, and that world is a Lynch creation. The idea of bringing in somebody else just to have "Peaks" content is absurd.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Agent Earle

Postby Agent Earle » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:52 am

"Season 3" is no Peaks. It's just about everything else, but Peaks it definitely ain't.
Jonah

Postby Jonah » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:42 pm

I voted for Option 4, but I land somewhere between Options 3 and 5. Obviously, having Lynch and Frost do it all again, like they did with The Return, would be ideal. But I'd be quite on board with Showtime giving us another season or two with strong involvement from Lynch/Frost and others collaborating with them, provided Lynch/Frost mapped out the seasons and picked the other writers and directors. The way I see it, that would take some pressure off of Lynch and Frost, but also give us the show with their involvement. Sort of like Season 1 or the first half of Season 2 - but perhaps with slightly more involvement. I'd love to see several episodes directed by Lynch and most episodes co-written by Lynch and Frost, but I don't think they necessarily need to write/direct every single one, provided the other writers/directors are following a strict plan or guidelines set in place by them. Not sure if this is even something they'd want to do, though.

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”