Best Season Finale Cliffhanger?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Best Season Finale Cliffhanger?

S1: "Agent Cooper?" (aka Who Shot Agent Cooper?)
No votes
S2: "How's Annie?"
56%
S3: "What Year Is This?"
44%

Total votes: 18
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Best Season Finale Cliffhanger?

Post by LateReg »

Cappy wrote:I'm inclined not to think of the S3 ending as a cliffhanger, even though that was my initial first impression.

I will say though, I have no clue why Cooper utters "what year is this?". That's the thing that makes me keep thinking it might be a cliffhanger, but at the same time, it might wrap up the show. I feel like Laura is caught in this sort of eternal recurrence, moving between light and dark and back and forth through all time. She's doomed to realize her parents evil (or in Sarah's case, complicity) and confront and reject it for all time. She also has this blissful joy and love about herself, as illustrated in the ending of FWWM, the glowing white light behind her face in episode 2 of S3, and her divine creation in episode 8. Perhaps Cooper's meddling in part created this eternal recurrence, but I think maybe in the final moments of S3, he realizes that it doesn't matter what year it is, because it will always be happening for all time.
For some reason it didnt occur to me until a year later, but Cooper's final line actually makes perfect sense as a closing statement and in tying the entire season together in an internally logical bow. In both the plot and the meta aspects and the investigation into nostalgia, we are bombarded with references to time, beginning with "Is it future or is it past?" "What year is this?" therefore makes perfect sense.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Best Season Finale Cliffhanger?

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote:
^ I think this. But still a weird way to describe it.
It might be that, but since as you say it is a weird way to put it, it is also (damn near) certainly what Reindeer suggests regarding the meta-relationship of director/actor (and actor/actress, including Laura Dern as well) and their long history and returning to work together after so many years, only to have to once again come to an end in the final episodes, adding to the strange sadness circling the last couple hours. That meta-aspect is strong throughout the entirety of the season, and grows stronger as it nears the season's end and real world references intrude into the narrative with greater frequency.