Wasn't the killer obvious? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
mtwentz

Re: Wasn't the killer obvious? (SPOILERS)

Postby mtwentz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:26 pm

I wonder if ANYONE guessed Bob was an inhabiting spirit before ep. 13?
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
JackwithOneEye

Postby JackwithOneEye » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:45 pm

Bob was all over the Laura Palmer secret diary. I remember thinking he was other-worldly and maybe some kind of demon or a figment of her imagination. When Leland said his name was Robertson and told Cooper and Truman that he remembered him from Pearl Lake, I think I thought, oh, maybe he is real.

I should have put the two together, but, I didn't. I do remember thinking, how odd Leland didn't recognize him when Hawk was sketching him in his own damn living room, but, then I thought, oh, maybe a flaw in the writing. I think they said Jaques was AB negative and then he wasn't AB negative also.
mtwentz

Postby mtwentz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:32 pm

I thought BOb would end up being a local Satanic cult leader and Laura was the sacrifice. But the Pearl Lakes story was a tip-off- a real live human Bob would be dead or in a nursing home.
JackwithOneEye

Postby JackwithOneEye » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:46 pm

I remember Lynch saying he didnt like science fiction much as a genre after Dune, and based on Blue Velvet, seemed like he was on the noir/thriller path in 1990, especially partnering with the show runner from Hill Street Blues. I had thought the pilot and much of season 1 was so straightforward, and Blue Velvet had been so devoid of supernaturalism, that the little touches like Sarah's vision and the dream sequence were as quirky as the show was willing to go. Bob being a cult leader, satanist, seemed plausible.

I remember watching the scene with the Giant in season 2 premiere, and thinking, hmm, this is starting to really go towards supernatural/sci fi. The scene where Major Briggs starts talking about UFO's and Cooper's name being transmitted through space I remember taking me aback. I remember the mainstream audience thought the show jumped the shark, but since I liked sci fi, I thought it was cool. I think it's in the same episode that Bob appears to Maddy crawling over the sofa, and I thought ok, he's an apparition/ space alien maybe, who knows.

When Leland said he recognized him from Pearl Lake, I thought maybe he recognized him being a bit younger, and that Bob was maybe 20 something when he threw matches at young Leland. I didnt even want to entertain the idea Leland could be the killer. The funeral scene where he jumps on the coffin, and where he talks about grief after the Renault arrest, "it's more than grief", I thought was profoundly touching. I was a little upset when he turned out to be the killer. I thought at the time, it diminished some of the grief scenes. Having lost loved ones in real life, and never seeing grief depicted that realistically on tv, I remember thinking, oh bummer. 30 years later, ive gotten used to it. But when I think back to the night that ep aired, I remember being saddened.
bob_wooler

Postby bob_wooler » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:15 am

I don't think the scenes with the grieving Leland gets less profound after the reveal. For one, he might have suppressed all the memories of the murder/abuse (due to him being possessed). He could also have remembered all of his actions, though the way he behaved doesn't need to come off as fake in this case either. The way I see it, the overwhelming grieving he's showing could actually be explained/understood by him remembering the brutal things he'd done to his own daughter.
mtwentz

Postby mtwentz » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:11 am

bob_wooler wrote:I don't think the scenes with the grieving Leland gets less profound after the reveal. For one, he might have suppressed all the memories of the murder/abuse (due to him being possessed). He could also have remembered all of his actions, though the way he behaved doesn't need to come off as fake in this case either. The way I see it, the overwhelming grieving he's showing could actually be explained/understood by him remembering the brutal things he'd done to his own daughter.

It's very common for an abuser to have conflicting emotions; to be abusive, then to regret the abuse afterward. So it can be either one: Leland is completely an amnesiac when it comes to his abuse, or him being aware but feeling remorse for his actions.
JackwithOneEye

Postby JackwithOneEye » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:44 am

bob_wooler wrote:I don't think the scenes with the grieving Leland gets less profound after the reveal. For one, he might have suppressed all the memories of the murder/abuse (due to him being possessed). He could also have remembered all of his actions, though the way he behaved doesn't need to come off as fake in this case either. The way I see it, the overwhelming grieving he's showing could actually be explained/understood by him remembering the brutal things he'd done to his own daughter.

I'm at peace with it now, 30 years later. but it was a bit of a bummer in that moment in 1990. i also thought he couldnt be the killer, because i thought his killing of Jaques was the act of a grieving father.

though in retrospect, you could add to it, that Jaques knew stuff about a blackmail plot and so forth.

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”