To sell my Twin peaks DVDs or not? :-)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

shemsha
Roadhouse Member

To sell my Twin peaks DVDs or not? :-)

Post by shemsha »

I really can't decide what to do.
I have seasons 1 and 2 region 1 plus the R3 pilot and R3 fire walk with me.

Now, no one really knows what will be in the upcoming box set.
My guess is that it will be the same exact DVDs of season 1 and 2 plus 2 or 3 DVD that will contain more extras and the pilot.
If that's the case than I don't believe I will purchase it.

What do you plan to do?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

The new set may not have commentaries or different ones. Are you attached to them? I'm holding on to my R1 season one. However, i would get rid of your R1 season two ASAP.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

Last edited by Erwin on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I don't know everything is a collector's item years down the line.

And unless there's the exact same Sherilyn Fenn interview plus more, it'll take a lot to ever give up any Fenn footage on Twin Peaks.

As it is I've transferred all my old tapes of interviews/commericals/skits onto DVD.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

Celestial Teapot wrote:Dump the old discs (ebay or trashcan), place pre-order at amazon, and do what your parents did. Get a job, sir!
I have a job, what does it have to do with my question?
Also Amazon don't have pre order for the complete set.
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

Last edited by Erwin on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

Oh OK didn't remember that one from Big Lebowski :D

I should hold on to my FWWM right? it's not supposed to be in the boxset?

Thanks about the news on Blade runner
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

FWWM will not be in the set.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Hank_Jennings
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hank_Jennings »

Its really up to you what you decide to do. For Collector's sakes, it might be worth keeping the old sets, but if you know you won't watch them again, then sell them. The first season is definitely worth keeping, as IMO, the special features are quite good.

I'm obsessive about my possessions & I'm not one to get rid of things often, so I'll be keeping my DVD's. Even though the R1 Season 2 set is one of the worst DVD sets I own, I'll keep it for Collector's Sake, & since the packaging on the R4 Season 2 sets are very cool, I think they're worth keeping for that.

But, don't get rid of FWWM. That is definitely worth keeping.
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

The thing is that the new set should contain all that exists now and more so I don't see a point in saving the first season (or the second) if I plan to buy the new set.
I will definitely watch them again and the special features are great but they all should appear in the new set that will come out.
Am I wrong?
purpleturtle

Post by purpleturtle »

I sold my Peaks collection a couple of months ago (US VHS of Pilot, R1 Seasons 1 and 2, and FWWM). I ended up making over $200, which was a real surprise for a bunch of used DVDs.

I am glad I did it now, with maybe the exception of FWWM, which isn't getting the reissue treatment, but I'll probably wait it out to replace it, as it's never been one of my favorites.
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

it's an amaing deal!
nice!
uncle_fugly
Roadhouse Member

Post by uncle_fugly »

I'm not exactly an expert on DVD compression and the like, but if the first season box set had only two episodes per disc, and the new set coming in October has four episodes per disc, then is it to safe to say that we shouldn't sell our season one set because it'll be better quality? Or has DVD compression quality improved dramatically in the six years since season one was released?
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

uncle_fugly wrote:I'm not exactly an expert on DVD compression and the like, but if the first season box set had only two episodes per disc, and the new set coming in October has four episodes per disc, then is it to safe to say that we shouldn't sell our season one set because it'll be better quality? Or has DVD compression quality improved dramatically in the six years since season one was released?
There's a certain truth to what you say, Uncle Fugly - but it will be impossible to say for sure until the discs come out and we can do a head to head comparison. Remember that the first season discs also had DTS soundtracks, which generally take up quite a bit of space, so it may be a "wash" in terms of compression.

What I'm more interested to see if weather or not they used the same transfers from Season One or if Lynch oversaw new transfers. I remember hearing when the first set came out that Lynch was not 100% satisfied with the job Artisan did - despite the picture looking pretty glorious (especially for TV on DVD at the time), I seem to recall he felt the color correction was too warm.
benjamin

Post by benjamin »

jmichael wrote:I seem to recall he felt the color correction was too warm.
I recently re-watched my season 1 set and have got to say that when looking at the floor of the black lodge, its pretty warm. Everything else looks great, but instead of being black and white, the floor was a dull brown and orange.

I am excited to see what sort of color/sound suprises the new set yields. Although I feel that I'm pretty much only buying it for the pilot(s) and the special features.