Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I can’t remember if this was previously known (I feel like I heard it somewhere before), but in the BTS footage, Lynch is insistent that Mary Reber wear her own clothes (costuming dresses her, and Lynch makes her change into something from her own closet). Definitely interesting in terms of theories that he wanted P18 to overlap with the real world.

The MacLachlan/Lee interview is pretty good. McKenna doesn’t seem to gel particularly well with Lee.

Sheryl actually says she rewatched all the original material in advance of doing this show. Bless her heart.

McKenna is weirdly obsessed with Cooper’s “celibacy.” Oddly, Kyle seems to agree with her (saying maybe Cooper had sex offscreen during his downtime but we never saw it). It seems like he completely forgot about Annie.

In a very sweet moment, Sheryl smiles and says she loves Lara Flynn Boyle. Nice to hear that from a TP cast member.

Kyle’s interpretation of Coop’s mission in P17/P18 is a need to restore balance, and a Sisyphusian arc, “continually striving to make it right” (“it” being Laura’s suffering), and not getting it right over and over. Pretty consistent with the general fan sentiment, albeit perhaps missing the element of hubris many of us see.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Post by AXX°N N. »

I like McKenna fine, but she is undoubtedly of the journalist groupthink, and part of that, especially as a cultural critic, is finding your niche theses and just going with it for the sake of writing a book/article. It can lead to absurd opinions that I find a hard time believing would come from thin air, if not promulgated as part of a hermetic society of LA or NY-type thinkers. It's a feature of the territory, sort of like academese in Universities.

Perhaps for Kyle he considers Lynch canon as apart from the canon of when the show became slipshod. Perhaps in Lynch's head him and Annie's sex scene would have not occured.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I don't have the set yet (waiting to hear about disc fixes tbh) but I'd love to here more re: Ben/Beverly.
During the rehearsal, he hovers just inches from both of them, clearly incredibly moved. It’s really intimate and beautiful. In trying to tweak Beymer’s performance, Lynch explains that Ben really cares about Beverly, and therefore he can’t be with her. Whereas Ben has always chased the girls (Lynch’s words), he can’t degrade Beverly or make things harder for her by drawing her into an affair. Lynch also says that Ben is genuinely confused and sad when he says he doesn’t know why he can’t be with Beverly. I think all this is conveyed in Beymer’s performance, but it’s exciting to hear Lynch express his intent so clearly and articulately.
Probably in my top three moments behind the scenes in the new material. I love the character analysis and moments between Lynch and his actors. Ben and Beverly were also one of my favorite subplots in season 3 and it was a delight to see how much Lynch cared about it.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:For those who were clamoring for more Grade Zabriskie, we do get footage of the supermarket scene. Interestingly, at the end of that shoot, Scott Cameron says they’re going to the diner for a setup! I thought they were long done with the Double R by the time Jason S. got to town?
They were. Grace was originally supposed to shoot the supermarket scene somewhere in WA but they ran out of time so they had her come to LA to film that. The diner that Scott is referring to is the diner with the waitress falling asleep from Part 8, which we also see in the Part 8 material.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:For those who were clamoring for more Grade Zabriskie, we do get footage of the supermarket scene. Interestingly, at the end of that shoot, Scott Cameron says they’re going to the diner for a setup! I thought they were long done with the Double R by the time Jason S. got to town?
They were. Grace was originally supposed to shoot the supermarket scene somewhere in WA but they ran out of time so they had her come to LA to film that. The diner that Scott is referring to is the diner with the waitress falling asleep from Part 8, which we also see in the Part 8 material.
Ahh ok. I guess I didn’t notice the date of that shoot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

AXX°N N. wrote:I like McKenna fine, but she is undoubtedly of the journalist groupthink, and part of that, especially as a cultural critic, is finding your niche theses and just going with it for the sake of writing a book/article. It can lead to absurd opinions that I find a hard time believing would come from thin air, if not promulgated as part of a hermetic society of LA or NY-type thinkers. It's a feature of the territory, sort of like academese in Universities.

Perhaps for Kyle he considers Lynch canon as apart from the canon of when the show became slipshod. Perhaps in Lynch's head him and Annie's sex scene would have not occured.
Maybe. He does also say that sometimes he sees TP scenes he has no recollection of filming. So it’s also possible he just forgot about it.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Ahh ok. I guess I didn’t notice the date of that shoot.
No worries! Sarah at the grocery store and the Part 8 waitress were shot November 10, 2015.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Out of curiosity could some of you guys who already got the Box set please let me know, how much you payed for it ? I ask because right now the price to pre-order it in germany is still 154 Euros (approximately 170 dollars) which in my opinion is ridiculous.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mb3 wrote:Out of curiosity could some of you guys who already got the Box set please let me know, how much you payed for it ? I ask because right now the price to pre-order it in germany is still 154 Euros (approximately 170 dollars) which in my opinion is ridiculous.
135 bucks or so. But the price has dropped since then and it is currently 112 on Amazon.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I enjoyed watching all the Roadhouse performances back to back. Technically, this is the first “deleted” footage we’ve gotten from TP:TR, right? “Axolotl” has a pretty cool surreal strobe effect at one point that I really like. While I prefer the Chromatics and Eddie Vedder intercut with the scenes, they play well on their own and it’s nice to enjoy the full performance uninterrupted. There are also some more of the Roadhouse MC’s intros that we didn’t see. He does a very reverential intro for Julee Cruise (which would have been the first time her name was used in-world on the show). The extra Au Revoir Simone song is from the same 2007 album as the other two (clearly Lynch was fixated on that album). It’s a fun, enjoyable number.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I enjoyed watching all the Roadhouse performances back to back. Technically, this is the first “deleted” footage we’ve gotten from TP:TR, right?
Yup, it is! The James song with Renee reacting is also longer so that's only true "in character" extended footage we've gotten for the series thus far. Outside of the moments seen in the behind the scenes docs, of course.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I enjoyed watching all the Roadhouse performances back to back. Technically, this is the first “deleted” footage we’ve gotten from TP:TR, right?
Yup, it is! The James song with Renee reacting is also longer so that's only true "in character" extended footage we've gotten for the series thus far. Outside of the moments seen in the behind the scenes docs, of course.
Yeah, even most of the songs that played straight through on the show without cutaways seem to be slightly re-edited and/or extended. A few songs (like “Mississippi”) had lyrics that were edited out presumably for time or mood, but even those that I think played more or less complete on the show seem to have more crowd reaction shots etc. NIN has a bit more at the end after the song finishes up.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Finally made it through all of the Behind the Curtain segments and really enjoyed them. I loved that it went mostly chronologically through the episodes and gave us the dates on which the scenes were shot. It was also great to just see more footage of Lynch directing.

The two things I thought were most interesting were in the Part 17 one. Instead of Cooper's overlaid head saying "We live inside a dream." and Cooper saying "I hope I see all of you again. Everyone of you." Cooper in the station says it all and the line is different "We live inside a dream and I hope to see you all again in that dream. It's been just fantastic knowing each and everyone of you." It's not extremely different but "I hope to see you all again in that dream." struck me.

And Lynch describing the scene where Cooper's face will be overlaid to Kyle as "It's slippery."

Also had a chance to watch a couple Roadhouse performances and I really enjoy being able to watch them in a row. I just sort of wish Julee's hadn't been intercut with Roadhouse randos, it just felt a little off to me.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

bowisneski wrote:The two things I thought were most interesting were in the Part 17 one. Instead of Cooper's overlaid head saying "We live inside a dream." and Cooper saying "I hope I see all of you again. Everyone of you." Cooper in the station says it all and the line is different "We live inside a dream and I hope to see you all again in that dream. It's been just fantastic knowing each and everyone of you." It's not extremely different but "I hope to see you all again in that dream." struck me.

And Lynch describing the scene where Cooper's face will be overlaid to Kyle as "It's slippery."
I forgot about that! What do you think it means? I think it may lead less credence to "this whole thing is Cooper's dream." It reads as more metaphorical to me.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
bowisneski wrote:"We live inside a dream and I hope to see you all again in that dream. It's been just fantastic knowing each and everyone of you."
I forgot about that! What do you think it means? I think it may lead less credence to "this whole thing is Cooper's dream." It reads as more metaphorical to me.
I agree. I think it means that, as written, that was 100% Cooper's Jeffries scene since he was clearly addressing the room with his "We live inside a dream.", instead of observing and speaking outside of it. I would guess that Lynch's goal in editing that was either to make it closer to his Twin Peaks or to create more dissonance and leave some more room to dream. Man do I want a chance to read that script.