Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Post by dkenny78 »

It's unlikely this would happen, but I would love to see a feature with Frost discussing the writing process for the new season: what aspects of their original planned Season 3 in the 1990s made it into the Return; what the first draft of the Return looked like; and what they had to change when talent participation became an issue.

And I agree that, if the 'Ben Kills Maddy' footage existed somewhere, we would have seen it by now. In terms of other lost footage from the original, I would love to see what the alternate ending for Season 1 would have been if the show wasn't renewed. I seem to remember Mark Frost saying they had a contingency plan in place if they got canceled but I could be wrong.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Post by LateReg »

dkenny78 wrote:It's unlikely this would happen, but I would love to see a feature with Frost discussing the writing process for the new season: what aspects of their original planned Season 3 in the 1990s made it into the Return; what the first draft of the Return looked like; and what they had to change when talent participation became an issue.

And I agree that, if the 'Ben Kills Maddy' footage existed somewhere, we would have seen it by now. In terms of other lost footage from the original, I would love to see what the alternate ending for Season 1 would have been if the show wasn't renewed. I seem to remember Mark Frost saying they had a contingency plan in place if they got canceled but I could be wrong.
Perhaps we will gain some insight into this in the upcoming book about Mark Frost, Conversations With Mark Frost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19490 ... UTF8&psc=1
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Wow, that book sure sounds like an intriguing one - never heard of it up until now. Thanks, LateReg! Now, if only there'd be a considerable chunk of it devoted to the genesis of the so-called third season (I'll swallow up every dirty detail, hook, line and sinker!) as opposed to reiterating same old stuff about TP-related off-screen trivia we've been hearing for decades now and has long since become public knowledge (about the network's poor treatment of the original series, about the forced reveal of the killer, about MacLachlan's & LFB's romance jetisoning writers' room, about the COOP initative etc.). As opposed to it, we know doodley squat about what went on during the creative process that resulted in The Return. Let's reveal some true secrets, Mr. Frost, it's about damn time!
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I went ahead and ordered this just for the extra disc of bonus features. I'll be interested to see if I can get rid of The Entire Mystery and the season 3 box (may still want to hold on to them, it seems like I just bought them).
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Personally I'm keeping the Entire Mystery and TR BR, unlike the other releases I got rid of, just because I think the packaging is cool.

Also, might we see the release of What Did Jack Do on this set? I know it would be a weird inclusion, but of any yet released Lynch pieces, it seems very TP (Lynch acting as a detective, a monkey...).
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I've gotten rid of the VHS box set and the Season 2 DVD box set. I kind of wish I had kept the VHS box, but it was just taking up space.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A & The Television Collection (Paramount) 10/15 & 12/10

Post by BGate »

bosguy1981 wrote:Sounds very interesting. So we don't have complete specs but it seems we can maybe piece together what's on each?

Twin Peaks from Z to A:

Discs 1-10 - Same as "The Entire Mystery" with seasons 1, 2, FWWM, Missing Pieces, bonus features
Discs 11-18 - Same as "Limited Series" 8-disc version with all bonus features
Disc 19 - Several hours of new Jason S behind the scenes stuff
Disc 20 - New bonus features including Roadhouse songs, Kyle and Sheryl, Kimmy and Harry
Disc 21 - 4K versions of Pilot and Part 8

the press release makes it sound as if the new Jason S pieces will be tied specifically to each of the 18 parts, like for part 5 we'll see them filming scenes from part 5, in which case they'll probably be spread across the discs along with each Part. I could be wrong but that's how I interpreted it.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A & The Television Collection (Paramount) 10/15 & 12/10

Post by Rainwater »

BGate wrote:the press release makes it sound as if the new Jason S pieces will be tied specifically to each of the 18 parts, like for part 5 we'll see them filming scenes from part 5
Yeah, but I don't think that means they'll be spread across discs.
Anyway, I kinda wish they did it in the chronological order of filming and production, rather than this way, but I guess I get why they're doing it the way they're doing it.
I'll see you in the trees
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Rainwater wrote:
BGate wrote:the press release makes it sound as if the new Jason S pieces will be tied specifically to each of the 18 parts, like for part 5 we'll see them filming scenes from part 5
Yeah, but I don't think that means they'll be spread across discs.

Okay. I do.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

BGate wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:Sounds very interesting. So we don't have complete specs but it seems we can maybe piece together what's on each?

Twin Peaks from Z to A:

Discs 1-10 - Same as "The Entire Mystery" with seasons 1, 2, FWWM, Missing Pieces, bonus features
Discs 11-18 - Same as "Limited Series" 8-disc version with all bonus features
Disc 19 - Several hours of new Jason S behind the scenes stuff
Disc 20 - New bonus features including Roadhouse songs, Kyle and Sheryl, Kimmy and Harry
Disc 21 - 4K versions of Pilot and Part 8

the press release makes it sound as if the new Jason S pieces will be tied specifically to each of the 18 parts, like for part 5 we'll see them filming scenes from part 5, in which case they'll probably be spread across the discs along with each Part. I could be wrong but that's how I interpreted it.
Would be interesting format, but it would mean they go to the trouble of "re-making" all of the existing Season 3 bluray discs just to add this additional bonus content to each of those discs. Would be cheaper and easier for them to re-package the discs as they exist (same menus, features -- or lackthereof) and just add a new bonus disc at the end with new content.

One interesting thing about how there will be behind-the-scenes featurettes for each of the 18 parts -- one of them says "mostly filmed by Jason S" or something to that effect. So will they be glomming together some Jason S footage with Charles de Lauzirika stuff and Richard Beymer stuff? These additional little documentaries are my primary reason for double-dipping and buying again.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I'm not particularly interested in additional behind-the-scenes stuff; the tons of it we got with the Limited Series DVD/BluRay edition does it for me. It's the whole genesis process of the new show that intrigues me, especially what went on in Lynch's and Frost's heads as they've dreamt up the continuation, its motifs, themes and concepts. I'm also interested in them dealing with various obstacles that needed to be dealt with in order for the show to reach the screen (per example, I'm dying to finally get to know what went down with Ontkean!). And, of course, any deleted scenes would definitely be nifty, but I'm not holding my breath.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Agent Earle wrote:I'm not particularly interested in additional behind-the-scenes stuff; the tons of it we got with the Limited Series DVD/BluRay edition does it for me. It's the whole genesis process of the new show that intrigues me, especially what went on in Lynch's and Frost's heads as they've dreamt up the continuation, its motifs, themes and concepts. I'm also interested in them dealing with various obstacles that needed to be dealt with in order for the show to reach the screen (per example, I'm dying to finally get to know what went down with Ontkean!). And, of course, any deleted scenes would definitely be nifty, but I'm not holding my breath.
Yep, very curious to know why we couldn't get Harry back. I feel like his absence dealt a huge blow to the experience. For example Cooper finally returning only to pull a gun on him, versus a brother that Cooper had never met or heard of, would have actually meant something.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agent Earle wrote:I'm not particularly interested in additional behind-the-scenes stuff; the tons of it we got with the Limited Series DVD/BluRay edition does it for me. It's the whole genesis process of the new show that intrigues me, especially what went on in Lynch's and Frost's heads as they've dreamt up the continuation, its motifs, themes and concepts. I'm also interested in them dealing with various obstacles that needed to be dealt with in order for the show to reach the screen (per example, I'm dying to finally get to know what went down with Ontkean!). And, of course, any deleted scenes would definitely be nifty, but I'm not holding my breath.
Beyond being very interesting/fun to watch, the other reason I'm so excited for more behind the scenes stuff is because I love scouring it for clues as to what the actual hell is going on in the series. Every so often Lynch lets a tidbit slip, or his direction reveals something that was hidden in the final product, and it really fuels thought. But, the stuff you bring up is undeniably the stuff that has not yet been broached and would therefore be of peak interest to me. I'd love for some of that to come out. The Ontkean thing is a real killer.

Speaking of, I watched The Descendants the other day and had forgotten that not only is Ontkean in it, but also Robert Forster (as well as Matthew Lillard). Both brothers! That's a 2011 film, and Ontkean looked great, youthful. However, the weird thing is that across his two scenes, he has zero dialogue. I know this lack of dialogue has been remarked upon before, but I had forgotten that he actually has a major scene in the film. He's sitting with Beau Bridges opposite of George Clooney during a key moment of discussion, and the scene is so strange because it goes on for roughly five minutes and Ontkean not only has no dialogue, but also has a lot of reaction shots that seem strange once you realize he has no dialogue. Did he have any dialogue, or was it simply cut in post? I don't think there was a physical reason he wasn't speaking, because you can faintly hear him during his earlier scene, though his muted voice is all but completely drowned out by Clooney's narration. He may have been given the role simply because Payne liked him and they were shooting in Hawaii, but it becomes strange when you factor in the not-quite-known reasons for his absence in The Return. Watching it certainly made me happy he was looking so good and sad and curious that he wasn't in Twin Peaks.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Yep, very curious to know why we couldn't get Harry back. I feel like his absence dealt a huge blow to the experience. For example Cooper finally returning only to pull a gun on him, versus a brother that Cooper had never met or heard of, would have actually meant something.
I feel like that scene was probably revamped to accommodate the brother Truman's presence. It was played with a strange mix of suspense and surreal comedy due to the Truman double, whereas IF that scene still existed in the Ontkean version, it may have been played for more pathos, with more of a reaction from Ontkean than Forster's deadpan. I would have loved to see Ontkean react to that, though. It certainly would have been a BIG moment.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LateReg wrote:It was played with a strange mix of suspense and surreal comedy due to the Truman double, whereas IF that scene still existed in the Ontkean version, it may have been played for more pathos, with more of a reaction from Ontkean than Forster's deadpan.
The deadpan remaining in place through the emergence of the Bob ball, the subsequent battle, and all of the bananas stuff that follows. It's just like when he's facing the blistering wrath of his wife.

I thought it was interesting, and possibly more suspenseful, because Frank didn't know Cooper, so the presence of this creepy dead-eyed reptilian individual wasn't as jarring as it would have been for Harry. Harry's alarm bells presumably would have been going off right away. Instead we were left with the tension of wondering if poor Frank would have time to pick up on just how wrong things were with "Cooper".