Season 3 graphic novel WAS planned for Complete DVD set?!

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Season 3 graphic novel WAS planned for Complete DVD set?!

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

See image by artist Matt Haley: http://bp1.blogger.com/_vDXYiBKNHU0/Rqg ... tfinal.jpg

Found this strange little item in an interviewwith artist Matt Haley. He doesn't mention his Twin Peaks art in the interview, but at the bottom of the page he provides commentary on the featured artwork, (including the above image).

"The "Twin Peaks" image is from my abortive attempt to convince Lynch to let me do a "3rd season" to be bundled with the forthcoming boxed set. Sad story, I had Mark Frost on board, I had Bob Engels (their co-producer) to write it, I had a publisher, I had the DVD folks agreeing to package it with the set, I had CBS/Paramount... ugh. TWIN PEAKS is obviously ™ and © 2007 CBS/Paramount"

Hear anything about this Dugpa? Jerry, no chance tracking down this man for more info? ;)
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Interesting. If he wants to talk to me then check out our site for an interview. Nice find BTW :)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Well, his official website is here: http://www.matthaley.com (I presume with relevant contact info). :D
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

The way David Lynch keeps stamping out any possible continuations of Twin Peaks makes me wonder whether he himself has something planned for the future.
dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Season 3 graphic novel WAS planned for Complete DVD set?

Post by dugpa »

They-Shot-Waldo! wrote:
Hear anything about this Dugpa? Jerry, no chance tracking down this man for more info? ;)
It's all absolutely true. I didn't post anything because I was asked not to and when it fell through, I figured I wouldn't mention anything since it was a no-go. It was a great idea and would have been an awesome addition to the DVD set.

-B
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

We have heard back from Matt and should have an interview up within a week at Twin Peaks Archive. We should also have some nice artwork to share as well!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Jerry, you're aces. Continue to love your site.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Thanks Audrey!

:D
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ditto. It's a brilliant site Jerry!

Waldo, well done on the scoop!
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

Well, this is just damned depressing. This would have been an awesome inclusion for the set, not to mention the closest thing to a resolution to the series' cliffhanger we would ever get. If Mark Frost and Robert Engels were on board, it would have totally made it official in my book and not fan fiction. If Lynch nixed it because he still had more Peaks in him, that's fine, but my gut feeling is he has no intention of ever going back, and he really should have just let Frost and Engels have their crack at it. Not to mention doing it for the fans. *Sigh* I love you David Lynch, but today you are on my shit list.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Matt Haley interview up!! See internet exclusive artwork!! Hear Matt talk about WHERE BOB ENGELS WANTED THE THIRD SEASON TO GO...

"...Truman driving Mike backwards through the portal into the Black Lodge..."

Click link below!
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

*Sigh*

That interview made this project sound awesome. It would have made the DVD set truly, truly great. This whole interview is making me super irritated at Lynch right now, especially since Twin Peaks is not soley his baby..it was a a collaboration made with lots of other people. I hope someday the stars align and Lynch gets over himself and allows this to happen. But I'm not counting on it.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

David Lynch is my all time hero (along with Kate Bush) and he seems like a very nice man but reading about the graphic novel fiasco has left a bad taste in my mouth. The bit where DL comes into the story like the grinch who stole Christmas and single-handedly kills off all the building excitement and enthusiasm surrounding the graphic novel made me feel a bit depressed.

That said, I was more interested in the 'man with a dream' angle (write it and they will come) than the continuation of Twin Peaks. By the end of the second season Twin Peaks had run out of steam and it's unlikely the ideas for the proposed third season would have halted the downward spiral. I expect running a pharmacy is quite thrilling in its way but if that's all I missed out on I can live the rest of my life safe in the knowledge I didn't miss anything good. Unless of course Cooper ran a pharmacy by day and fought evil in the woods by night? I'm copyrighting that idea as I type...
LeoFaraon
Roadhouse Member

Post by LeoFaraon »

~
Last edited by LeoFaraon on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hank_Jennings
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hank_Jennings »

While a graphic novel would be very cool, personally, in a way I am glad it isn't happening. That final image of Bob/Cooper is very creepy, & a possible continuation/resolution could ruin that. Its the case with Carpenter's Halloween & the dozens of sequels that follow it. Carpenter's film has a very frightening ending (in my opinion) because you're not told what happens next. The sequels ruin that creepy feeling, & I feel a new entry for Twin Peaks would be the same.

I know its a graphic novel & not a film, but I think the temptation to actually read it out of interests sake, might be a bit too strong for me. Thats just my opinion, & while it could be very cool, I still think the creepy ending is brilliant & probably shouldn't be continued.

Personally, I think the final image of Cooper standing over Laura in FWWM wraps up everything, & is a very beautiful ending to Twin Peaks.