Lynch Telling off his crew

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
IcedOver

Re: Lynch Telling off his crew

Postby IcedOver » Thu May 30, 2019 9:37 pm

I haven't read his book yet, but the license plate thing sounds like classic OCD. I also recall reading something about him not wanting to get out of bed until the clock digits add to seven, or something like that. Also OCD.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu May 30, 2019 10:25 pm

IcedOver wrote:I haven't read his book yet, but the license plate thing sounds like classic OCD. I also recall reading something about him not wanting to get out of bed until the clock digits add to seven, or something like that. Also OCD.

That’s certainly a plausible armchair diagnosis. In terms of mental illness, Lynch has admitted to “a hair” of agoraphobia. But any conjecture outside a proper psychiatric evaluation is completely speculative, and unnecessarily intrusive. To be perfectly frank, who the hell cares? If he does indeed have a mental disorder, I don’t see it as a character flaw. Quite the opposite, I applaud him for being much more successful in life than most of us “healthy” people in spite of his supposed handicap. His films positively burst at the seams with attention to detail, and if that is, as you theorize, a symptom of an obsessive-compulsive personality channeling his impulses for productive ends, I say good for him.
Soolsma

Postby Soolsma » Fri May 31, 2019 12:49 am

If you ask me, the term ''disorder" or "mental illness" were never very good terms, as they sound a bit too pejorative. In the end, being diagnosed with one mostly means a person doesn't fit the exact regular systems of society, education or workflow. Hell, one in four of all people is estimated to be diagnosable with one according to the DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) standards. It's likely that a lot of the interesting and boundary breaking people we've all come to love fall in to that category. It's also well known that a great deal of people who are highly intelligent or creative, are "impaired" in some other way (e.g. social skills, attention span, mood regulation)
A whole lot of artists fall in to some category or the other, I wouldn't be surprised if the average avid Lynch fan is prone to either, as are most Twin Peaks residents.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
yaxomoxay

Postby yaxomoxay » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:57 am

Andromedeaux wrote:No problem for me at all. I am the same, brother! But it doesn't help your credibility when advertising for TM.

I have been meditating quite consistently for the past 1+ year, twice a day whenever possible. Not TM but very similar (mantra based etc.).
Meditation doesn't make you not human, and it's not supposed to the same way that going to church will not make one a saint. Meditation will redirect you to a better understanding of the moment, even if the moment has passed, to take control of the future.
The beauty of meditation, among other things, is not that it removes all anger (anger IS a human feeling) but that it prevents negative emotions for becoming the focus before they become seriously damaging. I notice it as a father and a fairly good worker. If something upset me, I used to keep it with me even for hours or days. At times it was debilitating from a work perspective. If my kids did something unacceptable, I held a grudge for hours at a time. Now? Yeah, I might have an outburst and yell at my kids, I might have five minutes of frustration at work, but then it's back to business, and my focus goes back completely on what is productive. If someone cuts in front of me while I drive, I might be upset for a total of four seconds, but that's it. It's over, I already wasted four precious seconds of my life with negative emotions, no need for further self-inflicted pain. I personally know many individuals that when upset they can't go back to work with the same efficiency and motivation.
In the past couple of months, I was under a lot of stress due to some events at work; a LOT of stress. Without going into the details, sometimes I had my few seconds of f-words and cussing, but the whole negativity never lasted more than a minute. THAT is what was important. The result? Not only my boss congratulated me for the amazing work done, but my boss's boss's boss congratulated me for both the work done and for the amazing job I did with the team itself and the interactions between people and groups. Is this only due to meditation? No. However, meditation allowed me to manage my human feelings in a much different way. Even my wife noticed a huge difference in the past year.
pinballmars

Postby pinballmars » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:24 pm

I spent way too many of my formative years serving in busy upscale restaurants, where the chef was always screaming at somebody (including me sometimes) and where any mistake you made led to you being treated like you were the stupidest person in the world.

High-pressure jobs tend to work that way. Everyone's working quickly. You're trying to climb a seemingly insurmountable mountain in much less time than you'd like. Maybe that means delivering several hundred perfect plates of food out to diners in as little time as possible. Maybe that means making an 18-hour epic on a strict budget. Tensions flare up. Sometimes people yell at each other. If you're dedicated to working in this industry, you develop a thick skin.

So me, when I saw Lynch blow up at his crew sometimes in the Blu-ray special features, it just reminded me of restaurant work. Sometimes the chef really lays into you.

It happens. It happens to everyone in this line of work. If you want a job where everyone is polite to each other all of the time, you picked the wrong one if you chose the restaurant path. Or the filmmaking path, I guess.
bob_wooler

Postby bob_wooler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:23 pm

Albie scares me.
albie

Postby albie » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:39 am

bob_wooler wrote:Albie scares me.

Albie scares me too.

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”