Lynch Telling off his crew

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Lynch Telling off his crew

Post by LateReg »

There's something odd about those sheriff's scenes for sure, but I think the pacing of them is what makes them good...because they're not simply successful at comedy, and in fact downright confusing at comedy at times. Is this working, or is it not? Is it stupid, or is it something else entirely? It does feel like you're waiting for a laugh track that never comes, and it's so strange that it never does, and it really discombobulates as the scenes push past their logical extreme or engage in slapstick. I've never had a problem with the bunny scene, but for what it's worth, if I recall correctly, one could argue that that is the first scene that disrupts the flow of the film. Up until then, it seems to be building, albeit in an unpredictable and jagged way, into something very plot-focused. That scene, coming directly after we've just spent a totally strange 30 minutes with Cooper in Part 3, brings you straight back to earth and takes its sweet time as it stops the steadily building Cooper narrative in its tracks...while focusing on an investigation into Cooper the entire time! If nothing else you can always respect the sheer aggressiveness of the thing.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

That's a generous reading, and I'm not saying that you are wrong.

But my first thought was simply that the direction and/or performances was/were poor, and the editing was rushed. When I watched the BTS content on the bluray, Lynch was really on it, and very detailed, however, so perhaps this was deliberate. I don't think the script in that bunny scene is particularly good, which doesn't help.

I love the show in general, these are just moments that struck me as odd as it developed.

To be fair, that first 3.5 episode ride was such a giant mindfuck that I'm not sure I could judge anything immediately after that!
albie
Roadhouse Member

Post by albie »

mtwentz wrote:
albie wrote:Here he is blowing up for little reason. Because some crew member questioned the amount of time a scene would take. I don't think I'll bother with the Transcendental Meditation thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80eMhhWnWbk
Meditation does not make a person perfect.
Clearly. Yet he boasts about its effect on him. What kind of person was he before he meditated?
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:The crew member didn’t do anything wrong. She and Scott Cameron (the First AD, who tries to take the blame) are responsible for dealing with nitty-gritty details so the director can be free to be in the moment with the actors. In this instance, they wanted to make sure they got all the coverage you would typically need in a scene like this, which traditionally would include some closeups so you have the option in editing to tighten the scene. By only doing one long continuous wide shot, you’re really hamstringing yourself if the scene doesn’t play well, because there’s nothing to cut to. What you’re seeing is the push and pull between a crew who have trained to work in an established way for very good practical reasons, and a director who operates largely on his instincts when breaking the established rules. The crew member didn’t put up any fight against Lynch, she just made a perfectly reasonable proposal. But clearly the many long takes which give the show its distinctive pace were something that was a continuous source of questions which Lynch got sick of. Everyone was clearly trying to make the best possible show from the perspective of their position, just coming at it from different angles. But yeah, while I don’t judge him too harshly, his behavor in that moment doesn’t exemplify the kind of boss I’d want to work for.
Well now I feel bad for also being harsh toward her! Thanks a lot Mr. Reindeer.

Real talk, I'm glad you came through with the perspective, as always.

Seriously though, you guys think that Lynch was acting that badly? I am really surprised to hear that. It just seems like he's finally had enough of hearing commentary on his ultra long shots. All he did was get snappy for a second before diving back into the work. By the way, we are typically more blunt and real with those we are close to, so factor that in as well.

Anyway, it doesn't seem out of the ordinary or extreme, however I get pretty bent out of shape when my vision is at risk of being compromised, so maybe I just identify. I readily express my feelings, the ups and the downs, and I've got my dad's temper which comes out when I'm truly angry. This huff on the set is so mild in my estimation, nothing compared to the explosions that occur when my brother or sister and I butt heads over something...!
albie wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
albie wrote:Here he is blowing up for little reason. Because some crew member questioned the amount of time a scene would take. I don't think I'll bother with the Transcendental Meditation thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80eMhhWnWbk
Meditation does not make a person perfect.
Clearly. Yet he boasts about its effect on him. What kind of person was he before he meditated?
You're looking at the wrong end of the train. You see a person exhibiting negative behavior, but you don't see the decades of myriad benefits the person attained through an attempt to harness something beyond. You don't see the positive or negative effects that the person has made on the world. So how can you make such a sweeping judgement of character based on little to no information about a person?

It's no different than someone cleaning the house for hours on end, only to be scolded for not having taken out the trash. Any improvement, no matter how slight, is better than none at all. So instead of expecting people to be angels all the time, can you accept that sometimes people are monsters too? Even people that have great intentions and try to better themselves with meditation, religion, spirituality or otherwise?
albie
Roadhouse Member

Post by albie »

You're looking at the wrong end of the train. You see a person exhibiting negative behavior, but you don't see the decades of myriad benefits the person attained through an attempt to harness something beyond. You don't see the positive or negative effects that the person has made on the world. So how can you make such a sweeping judgement of character based on little to no information about a person?

It's no different than someone cleaning the house for hours on end, only to be scolded for not having taken out the trash. Any improvement, no matter how slight, is better than none at all. So instead of expecting people to be angels all the time, can you accept that sometimes people are monsters too? Even people that have great intentions and try to better themselves with meditation, religion, spirituality or otherwise?
Nope. Not working. That clip is stronger than what you say. He's a monster, you got that right. People betray themselves when they lose their temper. You see the real them.

I'm willing to bet he is spiteful all the time but like most people they hide their dark side by holding themselves in. I reckon LYnch may well have mental illness. We know he has hallucinated. And look at his films.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Albie's been drinking that hatorade
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Seriously though, you guys think that Lynch was acting that badly? I am really surprised to hear that. It just seems like he's finally had enough of hearing commentary on his ultra long shots. All he did was get snappy for a second before diving back into the work. By the way, we are typically more blunt and real with those we are close to, so factor that in as well.

Anyway, it doesn't seem out of the ordinary or extreme, however I get pretty bent out of shape when my vision is at risk of being compromised, so maybe I just identify. I readily express my feelings, the ups and the downs, and I've got my dad's temper which comes out when I'm truly angry. This huff on the set is so mild in my estimation, nothing compared to the explosions that occur when my brother or sister and I butt heads over something...!
Like I said, I don’t judge him too harshly for a few angry moments, given the many stressors he was under, undertaking a filmmaking project of a scope that arguably no one director has ever tried. I’ve had bosses who use yelling and bullying as their go-to management style, and having been both a boss and an underling at various points in my life, I’ve never observed that to be an effective approach. It just makes people not want to come to work, and paralyzes them with fear, in my experience. But I don’t at all get the sense that that was the norm on Lynch’s set. He just had a moment of frustration, which isn’t admirable but is certainly understandable IMO. I’d certainly work for him in a heartbeat if the opportuinity ever arose.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

albie wrote:Nope. Not working. That clip is stronger than what you say. He's a monster, you got that right. People betray themselves when they lose their temper. You see the real them.
You are either trolling very transparently and poorly or have never been on a film set. Or both.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Andromedeaux
Roadhouse Member

Post by Andromedeaux »

Watching this and the other video where Lynch reacts to imposed time constraints, I can see it both ways. On one hand, I see a guy defending his artistic freedom and on the other I see a bit of a crybaby. I don't see anything out of the ordinary coming from anyone around him. I think they are very aware of who they are dealing with and his tendencies. That being said, take his universal name recognition and reputation out of the equation - this is the guy at work who is occasionally totally untenable but not enough to get fired for it. He never really completely crosses the line but everyone knows how difficult can be. BTW, some of these people turn out to be great and genuine people even at work, but holy shit do they chap my ass when they are in this mode.

One thing that always stuck with me about Lynch - he mentions in one interview about his anger prior to TM, that anger and depression are a poison to the creative process. I know his anger here is directed at anything that restricts his freedom, but it's pretty obvious to me that there's still come deep seeded anger or just irritability not totally quenched by TM. No problem for me at all. I am the same, brother! But it doesn't help your credibility when advertising for TM.

More on TM: I talked to a TM rep for a few weeks and decided I couldn't justify the $$$$. I think it's totally absurd to ask for 1 grand for this type of thing, even if it is "partially refundable" (what a load of shit). I explained all this to the rep without any sort of attitude and... I felt sincere anger and resentment coming from him. That I was not going to pursue TM and meet him at his house with other TM people for wine soon. Like he had been working on a lead for weeks that didn't pan out, which happens to me ALL THE TIME. But in my line of work you just move the fuck on even if it's a major project. For me it's business, and that tends to relieve me from having any negative thoughts about the parties losing out or my lost business. But the TM people I've met always seem to have some kind of persistent osmotic pressure - you absolutely must experience this or you will be severely neglected and only you are to blame for your condition if you don't accept this gracious offering.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:
albie wrote:Nope. Not working. That clip is stronger than what you say. He's a monster, you got that right. People betray themselves when they lose their temper. You see the real them.
You are either trolling very transparently and poorly or have never been on a film set. Or both.
Couldn't it be that he's simply having a laugh? I mean, it's hard to think how anyone could come up with the statement he came up with and expect people to take him seriously. Hell, I even chuckled myself at the extent of his "trolling" :)
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Couldn't it be that he's simply having a laugh?
That was Option 1, yes.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

OK, I thought "trolling" includes some sort of malicious intent per se, whereas making a joke does not (necessarily) - by extention, I thought there's no such thing as harmless trolling. I realise that the terms are intermingled, though, and delicate to keep apart. I'm not well-versed in matters of trollology, and have a lot to learn. :)
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

Let he who is without wrath, cast the first rock at this Face of Stone~!
albie
Roadhouse Member

Post by albie »

N. Needleman wrote:
The old 'trolling' routine if someone says something they don't agree with. And if I were to respond by calling you snowflakes? What would that add up to?
I know Lynch. I see right through his films. And I see right through him. He's mentally ill. he used to wear three ties at the same time. He used to spray his shoes black rather than buy black shoes. He doesn't want to talk about the meaning of his movies. I know why. because that would mean admitting his own negative self.
Why does a man who meditates make horror films?

Because he is full of horror.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

albie wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
The old 'trolling' routine if someone says something they don't agree with. And if I were to respond by calling you snowflakes? What would that add up to?
I know Lynch. I see right through his films. And I see right through him. He's mentally ill. he used to wear three ties at the same time. He used to spray his shoes black rather than buy black shoes. He doesn't want to talk about the meaning of his movies. I know why. because that would mean admitting his own negative self.
Why does a man who meditates make horror films?

Because he is full of horror.
I know someone that goes to church a lot, and yet they still lose their temper.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly