Three Days Later (between ep. 16 & 17)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Re: Three Days Later (between ep. 16 & 17)

Post by Cappy »

I was reading an interview with Brad Dukes (author of Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks) and he mentioned that Tricia Brock, the writer of episode 17, never spoke with Lynch about her script. Also, the director Tina Rathborne never discussed this episode with Lynch or Frost.

I've read that Lynch largely checked out after episode 14, and Frost after 16, but it just blows my mind that they were both so hands off during such a crucial moment for the show. Episode 17 could have re-focused TP, and channeled all the interest in Laura's murder into an even darker and weirder exploration of the idealized myths surrounding small towns and the nuclear family unit.

It's a shame Lynch/Frost couldn't maintain their previous level of involvement with Peaks. I understand that they might've been put off by ABC pressuring them to reveal the killer, but that pressure gave us the phenomenal episode 14 (and a great performance by Ray Wise in 16), and by extension, Fire Walk With Me.